• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1 out of 5 Atheists in the U.S believe in a "higher power"

firedragon

Veteran Member
Its strange that a lot of people have some kind of need to feel superior and spread the personal ego's around every thread. This topic is clearly explained in the OP. It is not supposed to be a "my clan is better than you" thread. Why dont those who have this need not open their own thread called "who is the superior human? My clan, or your clan?".

Cheers.

Altfish

Veteran Member
So what do you think people do when they go to church? Shut up and just be blind to everything but God?

The amount of fellowship at church is immense mate.

Dont make statements like that. Its not fair. Because you are trying to make you and your clan a superior race type of thing and belittling others. It only portrays ones attitude, but not anything else.
YES SIR, I will obey!!!

Good grief it is a forum, chill out.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
It is like going down a rabbit hole when I engage with you.

Here ...
Atheism as a Positive Worldview
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightatheism/2006/06/atheism-as-a-positive-worldview/

From the link: "...Again, we nonbelievers will achieve more if we speak in unison – if we agree on a plan and join together to support it, thus creating a strong, consistent narrative that society and the media can easily understand. ..."

Yeah, I wasn't invited to that local group of humans and I am not a part of them. And I very much doubt that we in practice can agree on anything just because we are non-religious. Basically that is morality, usefulness, politics and what not based on the idea that just because we are non-religious, we can agree on morality, usefulness, politics and what not based. That is in practice an idealistic idea, that is not real for the everyday world.

"...But atheism is no guarantee of moral virtue or even tolerance, as the rhetoric of the “New Atheist” movement towards Muslims made very clear. ..."

Did you actual read the article. It is sociology and not about a positve worldview

I realise that it won't satisfy you and you'll come back with further questions

No, you and I believe differently in the end, besides that we are both non-religious. And apparently you can't separate evidence from morality, norms, usefulness, social behavior and what not. That we have evidence, that humans do morality, norms, usefulness, social behavior and what not, don't mean that these behaviors are based entirely on just evidence.

So you can believe all you like that atheism is what you call a positive world view. But I don't believe that: Atheism is the lack of belief in deities. That is all that unite atheists.

So stop claiming in effect objective authority over me, just because we are both non-religious. And atop claiming we are same more that just the same in that we lack beliefs in deities, when it comes to the non-objective parts of the everyday world for morality, norms, usefulness, social behavior and what not.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
YES SIR, I will obey!!!

Good grief it is a forum, chill out.

No, stop trying to making non-religion and atheism into more that it is.

You don't get a pass on how we all live as humans and get to make statements, that doesn't match the everyday world, just because you are an humanist, atheist and non-religious.

That applies to us all, including you, I, and everybody else.

Altfish

Veteran Member
No, stop trying to making non-religion and atheism into more that it is.

You don't get a pass on how we all live as humans and get to make statements, that doesn't match the everyday world, just because you are an humanist, atheist and non-religious.

That applies to us all, including you, I, and everybody else.
Yes Sir!

Altfish

Veteran Member
From the link: "...Again, we nonbelievers will achieve more if we speak in unison – if we agree on a plan and join together to support it, thus creating a strong, consistent narrative that society and the media can easily understand. ..."

Yeah, I wasn't invited to that local group of humans and I am not a part of them. And I very much doubt that we in practice can agree on anything just because we are non-religious. Basically that is morality, usefulness, politics and what not based on the idea that just because we are non-religious, we can agree on morality, usefulness, politics and what not based. That is in practice an idealistic idea, that is not real for the everyday world.

"...But atheism is no guarantee of moral virtue or even tolerance, as the rhetoric of the “New Atheist” movement towards Muslims made very clear. ..."

Did you actual read the article. It is sociology and not about a positve worldview

No, you and I believe differently in the end, besides that we are both non-religious. And apparently you can't separate evidence from morality, norms, usefulness, social behavior and what not. That we have evidence, that humans do morality, norms, usefulness, social behavior and what not, don't mean that these behaviors are based entirely on just evidence.

So you can believe all you like that atheism is what you call a positive world view. But I don't believe that: Atheism is the lack of belief in deities. That is all that unite atheists.

So stop claiming in effect objective authority over me, just because we are both non-religious. And atop claiming we are same more that just the same in that we lack beliefs in deities, when it comes to the non-objective parts of the everyday world for morality, norms, usefulness, social behavior and what not.
Indeed

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What does "Higher Power" mean in these two articles?

1. 10 facts about atheists
2. Americans' beliefs about the nature of God

I understand that Atheism is not believing in any theism or even anti-theism. Its pretty simple. But the atheists seem to grapple with the fact that some atheists yet believe in a "higher power". That goes against the definition atheism. But this is normal as anything can become an identity statement. But some atheists are fighting to redefine and reinterpret "Higher Power" to defend the tribe. I find it highly contradicting because atheists claim they are not a religion, while they also claim the religious people do just the same thing they are doing.

Thus. Let me ask again.

Maybe it specifically refers to the Christian/Abrahamic God they don't believe in.

Perhaps the idea of being an atheist is a little vague to some of them.

Irate State

Äkta människor
Haggis is tame fare.
But these things, especially the first....
Live monkey brains
Raw oysters
Surstromming
Steak tartar
Bird's nest soup
Live bugs.....
c3f0a658c12a707de0c63da15236f382.gif
I'll never try a balut egg. They would have to force me to do it.

Clara Tea

I understand that Atheism is not believing in any theism or even anti-theism. Its pretty simple. But the atheists seem to grapple with the fact that some atheists yet believe in a "higher power". That goes against the definition atheism. But this is normal as anything can become an identity statement. But some atheists are fighting to redefine and reinterpret "Higher Power" to defend the tribe. I find it highly contradicting because atheists claim they are not a religion, while they also claim the religious people do just the same thing they are doing.

Thus. Let me ask again.

Those atheists believe in God, but they can't stand phony preachers like Reverend Jim and Tammy Bakker. They don't want to vote for a Religious Right president only to have him murder people in wars by the millions. Nor do they want to cater to the rich while ignoring the vast hoards of homeless people.

Perhaps they are the honest theists, who don't want all this hypocrisy?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Those atheists believe in God, but they can't stand phony preachers like Reverend Jim and Tammy Bakker. They don't want to vote for a Religious Right president only to have him murder people in wars by the millions. Nor do they want to cater to the rich while ignoring the vast hoards of homeless people.

Perhaps they are the honest theists, who don't want all this hypocrisy?

This thread is not to discuss who is better, who is the hypocrite, or which clan is the superior being.