• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1.3 Billion Dollar Defamation case against Giuliani.

Cooky

Veteran Member
So, to be clear, you are against corporations and CEOs being able to take individuals to court for defaming them?

Yes! And the reason why I'm against it is because in the United States, it's only reserved for the privileged... Such as the super-rich... It's part of the buddy-system of the wealthy, and denied to regular people.

It's also a violation of free speech.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Yes! And the reason why I'm against it is because in the United States, it's only reserved for the privileged... Such as the super-rich... It's part of the buddy-system of the wealthy, and denied to regular people.

Interesting. You're beginning to sound very left-wing.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think that they have a strong case, mainly because I am not a lawyer. R. Giuliani smeared the company, its employees, the quality of its products, those purchasing its products; and he did it not before an election or as a whistleblower would but in an effort to get election results thrown out gave not a care about the people being slandered. His records will be searched, and it will be discovered that he and his team did not believe their own words, that they were slandering. The defamation case will be upheld.

The case might be upheld, but they may not get all the money they're asking for.

I remember in QB VII, the plaintiff won the case, but was only awarded one half-penny in damages.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The case might be upheld, but they may not get all the money they're asking for.

I remember in QB VII, the plaintiff won the case, but was only awarded one half-penny in damages.
1.3 billion? I'm not sure why they are asking that. Maybe somehow Giuliani is insured for it, or perhaps they expect the court to step down the amount. You can get investors to back you in a lawsuit if you expect to win, so perhaps the number has something to do with getting financing. Another possibility is that the number is a way of saying how serious you are and how committed to prosecuting, that either you don't intent to settle or don't intend to settle for very little. Another factor is that whether or not the money is there its a defamation suit, so its an estimate of how hurt you are.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Do you recommend all CEO'S sue everyone who speaks out against a product..? Really, I don’t see how this jives with liberal mindset... This has to be political activism that anyone on the left (including yourself) supports this. Would you admit to that?

Of course "sue everyone" is wrong - SLAPP suits. But not everything is a SLAPP suit as you would apparently assert. Some lawsuits are appropriate and valid. Do you agree that sometimes a lawsuit is appropriate and valid?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

So if I insult you and ruin your chance to earn a good living, it's just 100% ok?

Cooky

Veteran Member
Of course "sue everyone" is wrong - SLAPP suits. But not everything is a SLAPP suit as you would apparently assert. Some lawsuits are appropriate and valid. Do you agree that sometimes a lawsuit is appropriate and valid?

Yes, sometimes.

Cooky

Veteran Member
So if I insult you and ruin your chance to earn a good living, it's just 100% ok?

I wouldn't like it, but there's nothing a small-timer like me could do about it. No lawyer would take the case, the courts would throw it out.

...Just because Dominion CEO's are billionaires is no excuse for them to gain special treatment.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
1.3 billion? I'm not sure why they are asking that. Maybe somehow Giuliani is insured for it, or perhaps they expect the court to step down the amount. You can get investors to back you in a lawsuit if you expect to win, so perhaps the number has something to do with getting financing. Another possibility is that the number is a way of saying how serious you are and how committed to prosecuting, that either you don't intent to settle or don't intend to settle for very little. Another factor is that whether or not the money is there its a defamation suit, so its an estimate of how hurt you are.

It's hard to say. Personally, I never heard of Dominion voting machines prior to the election. A voting machine is not something many among the general public would actually buy. Only governments would buy their product. So, a fair question might be whether the people in government making the decision to buy or not buy Dominion voting machines would be influenced or affected by Giuliani's public statements.