• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1+1+1 = 1 ?

Rex

Founder
The logical fallacy in the Holy Trinity.

1 (The Father) + 1 (The Holy Ghost) +1 (The Son) = 1 (God)

but if you use logic then

1 (The Father) + 1 (The Holy Ghost) +1 (The Son) = 3 (each 1/3 of God)

I'm not sure what I am trying to say but just working things out in my head.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
ever tried 1 x 1 x 1 = 1?

as a hindu i beleve God has several forms all equating to one universal form of Brahman.

that would be 1 to the power of around 3 million = 1.

=^-^= hehe.

forms of God, meaning, Shiva, Visnu, Parvati, uma devi, lakshmi, brahma, krishna, ganesha, murugha, kartekiya, vinayaka, nataraga, etc, etc.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I've never really understood the concept of the Trinity either. Either you have 3 Gods, or 1 God. If you have 3 Gods then all your texts that say there is only 1 God is contradicted. If you have 1 God that negates the claim that Jesus is Divine. I can see the quandary Christians have and why they invented this Trinity idea. But it still makes no sense to me.

Lightkeeper

Aren't avatars incarnations of God? Like in Hinduism there are different aspects or incarnations of God. I think the trinity is 3 aspects of God. The human mind may need to see God in different aspects in order to understand the concept.The Greeks had several gods and goddesses.

The Trinity may have been a bridge between paganism or many Gods and one God. There seems to be a trend back toward paganism. There is a strong belief in angels. Since humans have so many aspects, it may be easier to have a god with many aspects. Joseph Campbell said that myths explained our inner energies.

Irenicas

high overlord of sod all
I think that maybe you need to think about it like multiplication rather than addition: 1+1+1=1 doesn't work, but 1x1x1=1 does...

Scott1

Hi all!

It's actually a pretty easy concept once you surrender your pride.

You can not be "part God".........

Divinity trumps feeble human understanding of a "biological" pairing.

God + a duck = God
God + a duck + a dog = God

Whatever pairing you want to make........ guess what..? >>>>>>>> STILL GOD!

I can understand those of you out there who don't believe in God, but to not understand a simple concept like this must take effort.......

Hope this helps a bit.......!!!!

Peace and love everyone......
Scott

Runt

I personally can agree with the concept of the Trinity, but only in a limited way. That which we call God is infinite, and thus we can perceive it in infinite ways. Each way we perceive it is an archetype of the whole, a manifestation, and exists solely in the minds of those who perceive it (for outside of human perception the whole is just that--a whole, with no divisions).

Just as the Christian God has many manifestations-- he is a Creator (parent of Jesus, Mankind, and the whole Universe), a Destroyer (Noah's Ark), a "Loving God", a "Wrathful God", and so on--so the Universe ("God") has many manifestations. Christians do not view their deity as multiple gods, but as multiple facets of one God.

Thus, I think it would be more appropriate to say that 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 = 1, or, as someone else suggested, that 1 x 1 x 1 =1

Ronald

Hear o Israel the Lord your God is ONE. Beside me there is no other God.
Yeshua is the Son of man, Is ressurected and sits at the right hand of God.
God is one. Yeshua is/was the lamb of God. The price of redemption for you. Paid in full, the gift of God for those who believe and turn from idolatry and return to God and obey. By his words, he was given GLORY. Luke 9:26 God is ETERNAL has never died, will never die. Yeshua the lamb of God died and was ressurected in GLORY of the Father. Trinity is "Precepts of man" condemned by God, the prophets and Yeshua. "Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom"/fear God, be careful what you teach.

Scott1

Ronald,

I am still not sure what Bible you are reading.......

Trinity is "Precepts of man" condemned by God, the prophets and Yeshua.
1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

Peace,
Scott

Ronald

Added as was Acts 12:4.(unspeakable word for Passover). Water, blood and spirit three witnesses 1 Jn5:6
Father, Torah/Word and the Holy Spirit. As suggested by NKJV, I added Torah.
Father, Son and Holy Ghost, Trinity, Church error. Let the "Truth" set you free!
Ha satan, twist, twist and twist! To put a square peg in a round hole, take off the corners. Add and subtract. Ohh, my!

Pah

Uber all member
There are verses that show the distinctness of God and Christ while in each other's company disproving the Trinity as manifestation of three-in-one.

Mark 16:19
After the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, he was taken up into heaven and he sat at the right hand of God.

Luke 22:69
But from now on, the Son of Man will be seated at the right hand of the mighty God."

Romans 8:34
Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died–more than that, who was raised to life–is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us.

Colossians 3:1
Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is bseated at the right hand of God.

Hebrews 1:3
The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.

The following shows The Holy Spirit, Christ and God as separate entities in separate places and can not be mistaken as manifestations of one God.
Acts 7:55
But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked up to heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God.

It is inconceivable that the Trinity is constructed by man without biblical reference but that the conception is, in fact, against biblical verse. It is not as if the meaning was that Christ is the right hand of God - but distinct entities in distinct places. Acts 7:55 has the three "members" of the Trinity also in three places all at the same time.

It is not a matter of whether one can understand the concept of three-in-one but where is the authority to procalim it as doctrine.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
ya, there are many aspects of God as lightkeeper said. remember, hinduism has a trinity too. bramha, the creator, vishnu, the preserver, and shiva, the destroyer. and they have wives and shiva has children! lol. there are many other aspects of God too.

To say that Jesus is an 'aspect' of God, and the holy spirit is an 'aspect' of God does not make them God, so someone has to revise their arguement. In this you are saying that characteristics are God, this doesn't make sense. Now how many other aspects of God can you give? We can make more equations like: 1/1000+1/1000+1/1000....and on and one equals one. I think this trinity is invented by the new testament writers as there is no trinity in the torah. And dont use this 'we' arguement because it doesnt work if you understand the hebrew language.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
God can reveal himself in many many many other ways besides the trinity. there can be a fourth aspect. how does this not make him God? what is the defintion of God?? can humans actually mandate who and what God is?

God is supposed to defy our mere human reasoning and logic. thats the whole point. i cannot reduce God into an idea and a mathematical equation.

Runt

DontFearMe said:
To say that Jesus is an 'aspect' of God, and the holy spirit is an 'aspect' of God does not make them God, so someone has to revise their arguement. In this you are saying that characteristics are God, this doesn't make sense. Now how many other aspects of God can you give? We can make more equations like: 1/1000+1/1000+1/1000....and on and one equals one.
Exactly. You said it without even realizing it. I am a dancer and a writer, but that doesn't mean that Runt the Dancer or Runt the Writer are ME. They are parts of me, and there are so many parts that unless you know them all, you can never know the true me. Thus it is with that which you call God. As you said, there are infinite aspects of this entity, and until one knows them all, one can never truly claim to know "God".

Ceridwen018

That's what Runt is saying though--three different parts which make up a whole. Like ingredients to a recipe. If you were to make strawberry smoothies, you'd roughly need strawberries, icecream, and ice. Each of these three things is separate from the other, but together they make smoothies, and smoothies cannot be made if one part is missing.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Mmmm.... Banana smoothies= divinity, truly.

I'd heard mention once (and I beg the pardon of the true scholars that reside here) that the 'spirit/ holy ghost' aspect of the trinity was once regarded as female, and that early Greek Christians saw the feminine face of God as Hagia Sophia, or "Holy Female Wisdom." I am saddened that the divine feminine did not retain that representation, although I marvel in wonder at the many forms religion takes. How beautiful, as humans, that we are to be able to have so many faiths and yet (most of us) thrive so well together!

Runt

I heard something similar, Featherinhair. From what I have heard over the last few years, it seems to me that "God" MAY have originally been the name for a hierarchy of male and female Gods. The Bible has a few instances of "we/us" in reference to God (which, of course, MIGHT just be the royal we...), and there are passages where God sounds more female than male, and as far as I know, the hebrew word that was translated as Lord (masculine), "elohim", was actually a plural masculine pronoun with a feminine ending used to refer to the neutral gender of a group of mixed males and females...