• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

$1,000/mo. U.S. Universal Basic Income Benefit Plan

Do you favor Andrew Yang's $1,000/mo. Universal Basic Income Benefit Plan?

• Yes: I favor Andrew Yang's $1,000/mo. Universal Basic Income Benefit Plan

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No: I oppose Andrew Yang's $1,000/mo. Universal Basic Income Benefit Plan

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Which is a choice.... No one is forcing them to take out a loan.....

I was fortunate enough to become a homeowner after I'd inherited some wealth from my grandfather. so I didn't have to take on mortgage debt. However, not everybody is this fortuitous, the only way some people can become a homeowner is if they get a mortgage. Most anybody should have the opportunity to become a homeowner. Before inheriting wealth, I had to live in a mobile home at a trailer park. This was an experience, I wouldn't wish upon anybody.

I'd like a universal basic income benefit that'd help most anybody get out of impoverished crime-ridden areas into nicer homes and secure communities ....:)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Nothing much to do with sex in same situations, widowed mothers didn't chose to be put in their situation of being single parents.
Definitely. Neither time when my mom was a single mom did she choose it. She didn't choose for her first husband to get murdered, and she didn't chose to have my dad walk out on us. A mom can make her own decisions, but she can't control the choices the dad makes.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Most anybody should have the opportunity to become a homeowner.
Why? It's not good for the Earth, and it comes with multitudes of responsibilities and expenses that you don't have to worry about if you rent. You may not be able to paint the walls whatever color you want, but if comes down to choosing the wall color or letting someone else handle busted water pipes, I'll let someone else deal with the pipes.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Food production workers will inevitably be displaced by automation, then a universal basic income benefit wouldn't negatively impact agricultural output.

I suspect a lot of jobs will be replaced by automation, at which point a basic income will be a necessity.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Andrew Yang is a 2020 Democratic presidential hopeful who favors a guaranteed $1,000/month income for all American citizens over the age of 18; Andrew Yang proposes a $1,000 monthly universal basic benefit, he calls the Freedom dividend, for every American over the age of 18 who does not receive social security income. Those who qualify for social security income would receive the greater amount of either their designated social security benefits or the $1,000 monthly Universal Basic Income benefit. Andrew Yang proposes this $1,000 monthly guaranteed income benefit for every legal American adult be funded in part by a 10 percent value added tax system.

Why give it to everybody?

Certainly there is an income level that the extra $12000 a year is unneeded. How about just for anyone below the poverty level? Household incomes below $26,000.

I suppose that $26,000 to $38,000 would be a big wasteland though. making anymore than $26,000 would cost them the extra $12,000 a year.

I suppose it needs to be universal then.

However I could see people taking lower paying jobs because the extra $12,000 give them enough to survive on.

As an employer I could offer a lower wages and probably have more people applying for the job.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Why give it to everybody?

Certainly there is an income level that the extra $12000 a year is unneeded. How about just for anyone below the poverty level? Household incomes below $26,000.

I suppose that $26,000 to $38,000 would be a big wasteland though. making anymore than $26,000 would cost them the extra $12,000 a year.

I suppose it needs to be universal then.

However I could see people taking lower paying jobs because the extra $12,000 give them enough to survive on.

As an employer I could offer a lower wages and probably have more people applying for the job.

"By giving everyone UBI, the stigma for accepting cash transfers from the government disappears. Additionally, it removes the incentive for anyone to remain within certain income brackets to receive benefits. If it’s paid for by a Value-Added Tax as in Andrew’s plan, a wealthy person will likely pay more into the system than he or she gets out of it." - Andrew Yang

What is Universal Basic Income? - Andrew Yang for President

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Andrew Yang is a 2020 Democratic presidential hopeful who favors a guaranteed $1,000/month income for all American citizens over the age of 18; Andrew Yang proposes a $1,000 monthly universal basic benefit, he calls the Freedom dividend, for every American over the age of 18 who does not receive social security income. Those who qualify for social security income would receive the greater amount of either their designated social security benefits or the $1,000 monthly Universal Basic Income benefit. Andrew Yang proposes this $1,000 monthly guaranteed income benefit for every legal American adult be funded in part by a 10 percent value added tax system.

A $1,000 monthly universal basic income benefit system for American citizens between ages 18 to 65 would cost ca. $2 trillion dollars currently each year . A 10 percent Value added tax system like that implemented in Australia would generate ca. $800 billion annually of current value U.S. Dollars If this system of taxation were implemented in the U.S. If this Universal Basic Income Benefit were non-tax-exempt from federal income taxes, this would generate ca. $450 billion of tax revenue, based on the average annual U.S. income of $50,000 being taxed at a marginal tax rate of 22 percent. This Universal Basic Income Benefit could replace ca. $350 billion annually of federal welfare spending presently on food stamps, housing, education, job programs for economically disadvantaged citizens, unemployment compensation and subsidized crop insurance. The remaining $400 billion needed to completely fund this universal basic income benefit system could be funded by Increasing the top marginal federal income tax rate from 37% to 43% along with increasing the second highest top marginal federal income tax rate from 35% to 38%, (These income tax hikes would now currently generate an additional ca. $200 billion/yr. of tax revenue), an additional 50 cent/gallon fuel excise tax, an additional 50 cent tobacco excise tax on each pack of cigarettes, a 50 percent increase of excise taxes on adult beverage alcohol content, a doubling of federal excise taxes on air travelers and national park visitors, (These excise tax hikes would currently generate an additional ca. $110 billion/yr of tax revenue) and the reduction of the exemption on the federal estate tax from $10 million to $5 million, (this would generate an additional ca. $40 billion/yr of tax revenue) , increasing the limit of annual income from $131k to $200k subject to social security taxes , ( this would currently generate ca. $60 billion/yr. of additional revenue),

In addition to his freedom dividend ( Universal Income Benefit system), 2020 Democratic Presidential hopeful Andrew Yang wants universal health care. Expanding Medicare Part A coverage from covering only senior citizens to Universal Medicare Part A (hospital insurance) for everybody could be done at a present annual cost of ca. $700 billion. This could be mostly paid by eliminating nearly $500 billion of annual federal spending currently towards Medicaid. A $1,000/month Universal Basic income benefit virtually eliminates poverty, this elimination of poverty along with universal Medicare Part A health insurance coverage, eliminates the need for federal government spending on Medicaid. The remaining $200 billion annual cost for funding Universal Medicare A hospital insurance could be paid by a modest rise in the corporate income tax from 21 percent to 25 percent.

Medicare Part B could then become a public option health insurance plan with affordable premiums for most anybody. ..... :)

I like Andrew Yang. For me he might be a serious contender to Trump in 2020.

Ben Shapiro interviewed Mr.Yang a few days ago and while I don't agree with 100% of what he said, I do agree with a lot of his ideas. Even the $1,000 a month and pegging it to the technology sector to pay for it. The only change I would like to see in his idea is that the money should be only allocated to certain things, like health insurance, retirement investments, or college expenses. Something like that vs just writing out a check to cash so that people can spend it unwisely on crap that won't benefit them in the long run. The interview is here:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
With automation, really we need to replace money. We need to be ready to step into the future (although, really, it's not the future anymore because it's happening now) and not anchored down by relics of the past that worked when we had to work.

Enoch07

Premium Member
With automation, really we need to replace money. We need to be ready to step into the future (although, really, it's not the future anymore because it's happening now) and not anchored down by relics of the past that worked when we had to work.

Unfortunately people still need to work. Automation hasn't replaced all jobs, and never will. $1,000 a month is only $12,000 a year which is not enough to survive on solely. But it will help people immensely that already make $10,000+ a year. Personally I would invest my $1,000 a month into a diverse portfolio of stocks & bonds backed up with precious metals. I mean I am already doing that, but this would just accelerate that process and help me hit my retirement goals without depending on SS which may or may not still be there in 30 years.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Unfortunately people still need to work. Automation hasn't replaced all jobs, and never will.
It is going to replace so many jobs that we will eventually live in a world where we no longer work. It can't replace everything, of course, but it will replace so much that we will be forced to abandon our models of industry and commerce for models of technology and a post-work world. Unless you provide health care (and even them some of those jobs are being replaced), where a human presence provides for so much more than what a machine can, your future job security is on the chopping block.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I like Andrew Yang. For me he might be a serious contender to Trump in 2020.

Ben Shapiro interviewed Mr.Yang a few days ago and while I don't agree with 100% of what he said, I do agree with a lot of his ideas. Even the $1,000 a month and pegging it to the technology sector to pay for it. The only change I would like to see in his idea is that the money should be only allocated to certain things, like health insurance, retirement investments, or college expenses. Something like that vs just writing out a check to cash so that people can spend it unwisely on crap that won't benefit them in the long run. The interview is here:

I'd actually favor expanding Medicare health insurance to cover all Americans, as well as providing a Universal Basic Income of $600/month for all legal adult American citizens who are non-recipients of Social Security; this can be affordably accomplished with the implementation of a Value Added Tax system like that implemented in Australia, along with the replacement of current federal government spending on social welfare programs, and funding from modest excise tax hikes or other modest tax hikes. .

Expanding Medicare Part A and Part B health insurance coverage from 40 million American senior citizens to every legal American citizen would presently cost around $1.18 trillion annually. ( ca. $1.8 trillion for universal Medicare coverage - ca. $0.612 trillion for senior citizen Medicare coverage = ca. $1.18 trillion )

Senior citizens accounted for 34 percent of healthcare-related spending in 2010, a report from the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services shows. Medical spending among the U.S. elderly - Journalist's Resource

Medicare Part A and Part B spending was $612 billion in 2017.
The Facts on Medicare Spending and Financing

The current annual cost of Medicare Part A/Part B) health insurance coverage for everybody would be approximately $1.8 trillion ( $ 612 billion / 0.34 )

A 10 percent Value added tax system like that implemented in Australia would generate tax revenue in the U.S. equal to ca. 4.8 percent of GDP.
5506.0 - Taxation Revenue, Australia, 2016-17

This would be ca. $960 billion annually of current value U.S. Dollars if this system of taxation were implemented in the U.S. ( ca. $20 trillion annual GDP * .048 = $960 billion )

Medicare for all would eliminate the need for federal Medicaid spending, which amounted to ca. $378 billion in 2017.

FY 2018 Budget in Brief - CMS - Medicaid

The ca. $1.18 trillion cost of expanding Medicare for all would be partly offset by the ca. $378 billion of cost savings with the elimination of federal Medicaid spending, the net cost then of expanding Medicare for all then would be ca. $802 billion annually in current dollars. A 10 percent V.A.T. tax system generating $960 billion in current U.S. dollars would more than cover the $802 billion annual cost of Medicare for all expansion by ca. $158 billion current U,S, dollars annually.

Medicare A and B currently is now partly funded by ca. $100 billion annually in premiums, the loss of this funding by making Medicare A and B available without any of its recipients having to pay any premiums could be offset by doubling the Part A annual insured deductible ( ca. 35 million yearly hospital patients * $1,364 annual deductible increase = ca. 47.74 billion/yr. in current value dollars ) Fast Facts on U.S. Hospitals, 2019 | AHA , and increasing the Part B annual deductible from $185 to $620, ( ca. 150 million chronically ill Americans * ( $620 - $185 ) * ( 1.0 --0.2 Medicare B Coinsurance ) = ca. 52.2 billion/yr in current value dollars)

Shifting health care insurance spending costs from employers to single payer universal health care would result currently in the elimination of ca. $842 billion/year of tax deductible business expenses ( 160 million employees * $4,953 annual health insurance premiums/employee. = $842 billion/yr ), which when taxed at the current corporate tax rate of 21 percent, would result in ca. $177 billion/yr. of additional federal corporate income tax revenue.
Average Annual Single Premium per Enrolled Employee For Employer-Based Health Insurance

Shifting the cost of ca. $226 billion of tax deductible health insurance premium contributions from employees to single payer health care, which when taxed at the average marginal personal tax rate of 22 percent would currently result in ca. $50 billion of federal personal income tax revenue.

Average Annual Single Premium per Enrolled Employee For Employer-Based Health Insurance

Poverty could be significantly reduced by way of a guaranteed $600 per month social security income or Universal Basic Income benefit provided to all American citizens over the age of 18. Those who qualify for social security income would receive the greater amount of either their designated social security benefits or the $600 monthly Universal Basic Income benefit.

There are ca. 182 million American citizens between ages 18 thru 64 who don't receive any social security benefits. Demography of the United States - Wikipedia
Monthly Statistical Snapshot, March 2019

So then the present annual cost of a Universal Basic Income benefit providing its ca. 182 million recipients a $600 monthly benefit would be ca. $1.420 trillion. ( 182 million recipients * $600/month * 12 monthly payments = $1.310 trillion ) If this Universal Basic Income Benefit were non-tax-exempt from federal income taxes, this would currently generate ca. $288 billion/yr. of income tax revenue, based on the average annual U.S. income of $50,000 being taxed at a marginal tax rate of 22 percent. So then, the after tax cost of the $1.31 trillion Universal Basic Income Benefit/Social Security for everybody would be reduced to a net cost of ca. $1.022 trillion in current U.S. dollars.

This Universal Basic Income Benefit could replace ca. $300 billion annually of federal welfare spending presently on food stamps, housing, education,, unemployment compensation subsidized crop insurance, and the jobs corp program.

This ca. $722 billion/yr. remainder cost of the Universal Basic Income benefit/Social Security-for-all could also be funded in part with the ca. $158 billion annual surplus from the value added tax system that'd exceed the net cost of expanding Medicare health insurance coverage to everybody, and the additional ca. $227 billion that'd currently be generated from the elimination of tax deductible health insurance premium payment expenses.

This ca. $337 billion/yr. funding shortfall of the Universal-Basic-Income/Social Security-for-all program, could become mostly funded by an additional 60 cent/gallon fuel excise tax, an additional 50 cent tobacco excise tax on each pack of cigarettes, a 50 percent increase of excise taxes on adult beverage alcohol content, a doubling of federal excise taxes on air travelers and national park visitors, (These excise tax hikes would currently generate an additional ca. $155 billion/yr of tax revenue)
What are the major federal excise taxes, and how much money do they raise?

..., increasing the limit of annual income from $131k to $200k subject to social security taxes , ( this would currently generate ca. $28 billion/yr. of additional revenue), ( ca. 3.2 million persons in 98 percent income percentile * ( $69k/2 * 0.124 tax rate ) + ( ca. 1.6 million persons in 99 percent income percentile * ($69/k * 0.124 tax rate ) = ca. $28 billion. Income Percentile Calculator - Find Your Percent With WhatsMyPercent.com

..., the reduction of the exemption on the federal estate tax from $10 million to $5 million, (this would currently generate an additional ca. $5 billion/yr of tax revenue) ,
How many people pay the estate tax?

increasing the top 2 federal income tax rates back to the Obama taxation era rates of 39.6 percent for the top tax bracket and 36 percent for the 2nd highest tax bracket would currently generate ca. $91 billion annually

.CHARTS: See How Much Of GOP Tax Cuts Will Go To The Middle Class

Last edited:

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
It is going to replace so many jobs that we will eventually live in a world where we no longer work. It can't replace everything, of course, but it will replace so much that we will be forced to abandon our models of industry and commerce for models of technology and a post-work world. Unless you provide health care (and even them some of those jobs are being replaced), where a human presence provides for so much more than what a machine can, your future job security is on the chopping block.

I can't wait for my pizza order to be delivered by drone instead of getting delivered to me by a pizza delivery guy; unlike the pizza delivery guy, hopefully the drone won't expect any tip from me. ...:D.

Enoch07

Premium Member

True to some degree for sure.