• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

$1,000/mo. U.S. Universal Basic Income Benefit Plan

Do you favor Andrew Yang's $1,000/mo. Universal Basic Income Benefit Plan?

• Yes: I favor Andrew Yang's $1,000/mo. Universal Basic Income Benefit Plan

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No: I oppose Andrew Yang's $1,000/mo. Universal Basic Income Benefit Plan

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm not too fond of the idea of taxes being placed on gas to help pay, as some states already tap into that. In California, it would mean over $1.00 of every gallon of gas is taxes.
If he wants funding, get rid of cannabis as a schedule 1 drug, legalize, regulate, and tax it, and we'll have plenty of money for that and more. Or at least spread it around some so not increase taxes too much for states that are already channeling his planned avenues for revenue.
Taxing fuel encourages green behavior.
It's good for our environment.
I bet that AOC is with me on this.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
We need to ween ourselves off oil rather than tax it. 50 cents a gallon, that would also go for farmers and trucking companies. We could expect a general increase in cost of goods to make up for the increased cost for transportation. It's not like cigarettes where the cost is only born by the smoker. In one way or another (such as food), all our livelihoods are dependent upon the cost of gas. 50 cents a gallon adds up quick, and companies do tend to pass as much of a tax increase (or any increase in cost of doing business) down to the customer.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We need to ween ourselves off oil rather than tax it. 50 cents a gallon, that would also go for farmers and trucking companies. We could expect a general increase in cost of goods to make up for the increased cost for transportation. It's not like cigarettes where the cost is only born by the smoker. In one way or another (such as food), all our livelihoods are dependent upon the cost of gas. 50 cents a gallon adds up quick, and companies do tend to pass as much of a tax increase (or any increase in cost of doing business) down to the customer.
Taxing fuel would discourage its use, weening people off of it.
Yes, costs of some goods would increase. But goods which
ship more efficiently would gain competitive advantage.
Let this additional tax revenue be offset by income tax cuts
to low wage earners, creating more incentive to work.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Keep in mind, if you were to get $12,000 of additional annual income from a universal basic income benefit along with hospital insurance coverage that you'd be glad you had in case you were hospitalized, your benefits would far exceed the costs of the $1/gallon in federal taxes you'd pay in order to help do your part in funding the freedom dividend (U.B.I.) and universal Medicare A hospital insurance. Right?
We'd have to have the numbers to see how much the cost of everything else would go up due to such a spike in gas prices. As that would increase operating costs for pretty much every business, the costs of goods would inevitably go up.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We'd have to have the numbers to see how much the cost of everything else would go up due to such a spike in gas prices. As that would increase operating costs for pretty much every business, the costs of goods would inevitably go up.
The market approach to cutting fuel usage is better than alternatives.
I remember Jimmy Carter's gas rationing scheme. It was horribly
inefficient...rationing by waiting in long lines for the chance to buy
gas (if it hadn't run out). It was great for unemployed people with
lots'o time on their hands.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's not really going to create more incentive to work. They tend to already have the drive, but lack opportunity.
Getting to keep more of what one makes is always an incentive to work.
There is great opportunity to work around where I live.
Our trouble is finding people
Perhaps Michiganistan is just more vibrant than Californiastan, eh.
Besides, with the world ending in 12 years, we need to do something
drastic to cut fuel usage. This is a real step to accomplish that.

wellwisher

A better way than tax and regulate would be those who believe in green energy, to invest in R&D. If renewable, green and solar energy were suddenly made efficient and competitive in price, most people would eagerly change if they could save money. I do not have an irrational emotional attachment to fossil fuels. I choose it because it is cheapest and portable. If green energy was cheaper I would switch in a heart beat.

The problem with Progressives is do not want to compete in a fair free market game. They always opt for rigging the system by demonizing the cheaper alternative and then penalizing the cheapest alternatives with taxes. They try to create an illusion of utility for second rate goods and services.

If you believe that the world is about to end, why would anyone what to dumb down the game, instead of advancing the game? Dumbing down by rigging the game would be disastrous, if the world was to change.

If you believe the world is about to end, the data says it took over a hundred years to get where we are. This will not change in a few years. There is no technology available to do this. As disasters appear in the mean time, If we stop fossil fuels and do not have a cost effective green replacement, this will lead to double hardships. Price will go up and supplies of everything will decline, at the same time disasters are pounding the land. We will not even be able respond to disasters, properly, as the cost of disasters double and triple, due to over priced and untested tech replacements.

Picture a city that has been flooded by a huge series of storm waves. Would you go into that city carrying supplies with electric vehicles? Say the power is off, how do you recharge their batteries? Say you bring in generators for electricity, but can't use fossil fuels to power them. Now the entire operation is worthless, since there no cheap and effective green alternatives, yet. I would not want such people in charge of disaster relief.

When you cheat to win, you will not be ready for game day. Only those things that are test proven to work by the rules of competition, will save the day.

wellwisher

As far as the plan to pay everyone $1000/month, this is another scam for the buy votes push by the Democrats. They routinely pander and offer a free ride to those who want something for nothing. But ask yours this, how often do they ever come through for you? They always blame someone else, after the fact, and then do not deliver. They get your vote and you get nothing.

Those who are being promised something for free, should ask the Democrat who make such promises, to put something up on the chopping block, if and when the promises are not kept. How about every politician and their donors, who make these promises, if not kept, can be legally pillage of their personal assets. This will be the penalty for lying and scamming for votes. The chopping block approach may allow enough money gathered to made a down payment on their promises.

How many times have the blacks been promised things by the Democrats, each and every voting cycle? How many times have these quick talking used car salesmen dreams come true? Falling for this scam, over and over, gives black people a bad reputation for poor judgement around con men.

Trump does not offer you freebies. He instead offers opportunities; jobs, in the market place, while not forcing it on anyone. God helps those who help themselves.

My recommendation is to go back to the last 4-5 presidential election cycles and research the freebies offered, by the Democrats,to buy votes. Then see how many freebies appeared in reality and how many were promises not kept. Don't be fooled again!

The two years of lying about Trump-Russian collusion shows how effective the Democrat con men are. They are very convincing, so be aware. Use history to see the trends. If you can't help yourself and wish to dream dreams, at least ask what they will put up on the chopping block as security. Get it in writing, since most of them are lawyers, and they know how to game the system.

Last edited:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
"Decades of research on cash transfer programs have found that the only people who work fewer hours when given direct cash transfers are new mothers and kids in school. In several studies, high school graduation rates rose. In some cases, people even work more. Quoting a Harvard and MIT study, “we find no effects of [cash] transfers on work behavior.”

In our plan, each adult would receive only $12,000 a year. This is barely enough to live on in many places and certainly not enough to afford much in the way of experiences or advancement. To get ahead meaningfully, people will still need to get out there and work."

What is Universal Basic Income? - Andrew Yang for President

I'm a little conflicted here. I like the idea of UBI, but I also like the idea that - if you're able bodied - you ought to go work on a road crew and get some cash at the end of the day. So perhaps the system could provide an option for people to get more than $1000 depending on how much work they do. Things like road crews, elder care and so on, that we always need help with.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
"Decades of research on cash transfer programs have found that the only people who work fewer hours when given direct cash transfers are new mothers and kids in school. In several studies, high school graduation rates rose. In some cases, people even work more. Quoting a Harvard and MIT study, “we find no effects of [cash] transfers on work behavior.”

In our plan, each adult would receive only $12,000 a year. This is barely enough to live on in many places and certainly not enough to afford much in the way of experiences or advancement. To get ahead meaningfully, people will still need to get out there and work."

What is Universal Basic Income? - Andrew Yang for President

The study agrees with my point. It's not a matter of people working less but a matter of the type of work they engage in. It shows there is a trend from formal work to informal work. A tend away from agricultural jobs as well. Less workers to bring produce to the market. A tendency for people to move away from jobs no one ideally wants but still needs to be done to keep the economy going. people have more money but there is less food available to distribute among them.

Maybe take the money and tie it to working in some of these less than ideal jobs.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I don't mind taxes so much as I worry about what the government does with the money and any negative effects on the economy. Lots of taxes and regulation on movie production is Hollywood has caused a number of production companies to transfer to a more favorable tax climate as an example. Less incomes to tax.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't mind taxes so much as I worry about what the government does with the money and any negative effects on the economy. Lots of taxes and regulation on movie production is Hollywood has caused a number of production companies to transfer to a more favorable tax climate as an example. Less incomes to tax.
Your post illustrates that taxation methods have consequences, some good, & some bad.
I know about driving movie & TV production into Canuckistan. That's a bad one.
But taxing fuel with simultaneous goals of raising revenue, & decreasing usage makes sense.
As for what government does with the revenue, that's a separate issue.

Shad

Veteran Member
UBI with no plan to replace those lost jobs nor immigration reform will just create an ever increasing welfare state population. Nothing but bribes for votes in my view. Toss in some of his points are fiction and sci-fi like the babble about self-driving cars.

Last edited:

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
A better way than tax and regulate would be those who believe in green energy, to invest in R&D. If renewable, green and solar energy were suddenly made efficient and competitive in price, most people would eagerly change if they could save money. I do not have an irrational emotional attachment to fossil fuels. I choose it because it is cheapest and portable. If green energy was cheaper I would switch in a heart beat.

The problem with Progressives is do not want to compete in a fair free market game. They always opt for rigging the system by demonizing the cheaper alternative and then penalizing the cheapest alternatives with taxes. They try to create an illusion of utility for second rate goods and services.

If you believe that the world is about to end, why would anyone what to dumb down the game, instead of advancing the game? Dumbing down by rigging the game would be disastrous, if the world was to change.

If you believe the world is about to end, the data says it took over a hundred years to get where we are. This will not change in a few years. There is no technology available to do this. As disasters appear in the mean time, If we stop fossil fuels and do not have a cost effective green replacement, this will lead to double hardships. Price will go up and supplies of everything will decline, at the same time disasters are pounding the land. We will not even be able respond to disasters, properly, as the cost of disasters double and triple, due to over priced and untested tech replacements.

Picture a city that has been flooded by a huge series of storm waves. Would you go into that city carrying supplies with electric vehicles? Say the power is off, how do you recharge their batteries? Say you bring in generators for electricity, but can't use fossil fuels to power them. Now the entire operation is worthless, since there no cheap and effective green alternatives, yet. I would not want such people in charge of disaster relief.

When you cheat to win, you will not be ready for game day. Only those things that are test proven to work by the rules of competition, will save the day.

Hopefully, more people like me will leave this planet having taken away more CO2 than we've produced. I've planted many trees and gardens that have absorbed far more CO2 than I've exhaled. I also currently drive a Tesla electric powered car whose electric energy comes from nuclear power; half the electricity in my state of Illinois comes from nuclear energy. I care deeply about the future of my fellow man, and I've shown this by having left a smaller carbon foot print on our mother Earth than the carbon footprints I've erased. ...:)

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I'm a little conflicted here. I like the idea of UBI, but I also like the idea that - if you're able bodied - you ought to go work on a road crew and get some cash at the end of the day. So perhaps the system could provide an option for people to get more than $1000 depending on how much work they do. Things like road crews, elder care and so on, that we always need help with.

Unlike welfare benefits provided with the current system, benefits from a universal basic income aren't diminished by earned income. So then, this wouldn't deter anybody from working as does the current welfare system.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
The study agrees with my point. It's not a matter of people working less but a matter of the type of work they engage in. It shows there is a trend from formal work to informal work. A tend away from agricultural jobs as well. Less workers to bring produce to the market. A tendency for people to move away from jobs no one ideally wants but still needs to be done to keep the economy going. people have more money but there is less food available to distribute among them.

Maybe take the money and tie it to working in some of these less than ideal jobs.

Food production workers will inevitably be displaced by automation, then a universal basic income benefit wouldn't negatively impact agricultural output.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
UBI with no plan to replace those lost jobs nor immigration reform will just create an ever increasing welfare state population. Nothing but bribes for votes in my view. Toss in some of his points are fiction and sci-fi like the babble about self-driving cars.

UBI would reduce a huge array of costly social welfare services like health care, housing, food assistance, and unemployment support by providing a simple, inexpensive way to let individuals, rather than the government, determine how money is spent.

Unlike with the current welfare system, the universal basic income benefit requires neither any means testing nor income verification of its recipients; basically, this benefit is paid back by those in a high income tax bracket, who don't need any welfare from the government.

Universal basic universal income would enable any few people to live together as roommates in safe modest housing accommodations away from high crime locations.

When you factor in housing, utilities, food and medical care, the current welfare system provides more financial benefits to its recipients than does minimum wage paying jobs to their recipients. Whereas, with universal basic income benefits, everybody starts off receiving the same amount of welfare benefits as anybody else. With the elimination of the welfare class by way of the universal basic income benefit, there'd be no resentment between the working class and those who don't work.

The UBI would help people out such as housewives who aren't entitled to unemployment benefits; the UBI empowers everybody. ....:)

I'm glad you'd mentioned self-driving cars; inevitably, self-driving vehicles will displace truck drivers or Uber drivers who would then likely benefit from a universal basic income benefit that'd buy them time to train or find another career where automation hasn't taken over all the work.

Last edited: