• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

神Hideki Tojo 神 (A Shinto Kami)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
220px-Hideki_Tojo2_%28cropped%29.jpg
150px-Hideki_Tojo_posing.jpg
download (1).jpg
images

Tojo had an education typical of a Japanese youth in the Meiji era.[7] The purpose of the Meiji educational system was to train the boys to be soldiers as adults, and the message was relentlessly drilled into Japanese students that war was the most beautiful thing in the entire world, that the Emperor was a living god and that the greatest honor for a Japanese man was to die for the Emperor.[8] Japanese girls were taught that the highest honor for a woman was to have as many sons as possible who could die for the Emperor in war.

Tojoh's boyhood hero was the 17th century shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu who issued the injunction: "Avoid the things you like, turn your attention to unpleasant duties".[9] Tojo liked to say: "I am just an ordinary man possessing no shining talents. Anything I have achieved I owe to my capacity for hard work and never giving up".[9]

A stern, humorless man, Tojo was known for his brusque manner, his obsession with etiquette, and for his coldness.[19] Like almost all Japanese officers at the time, Tojo routinely slapped the faces of the men under his command when giving orders, saying that face-slapping was a "means of training" men who came from families that were not part of the samurai caste, and for whom bushido was not second nature.[20]

Tojo was a militant ultra-nationalist, well respected for his work ethic and his ability to handle paperwork, who believed that the Emperor was a living god and favored "direct imperial rule", ensuring that he would faithfully follow any order from the Emperor....."

anyway, I didn't read the whole article.....to make a long story short, his dreams and plans were foiled...

"As American soldiers surrounded Tojo's house on September 11, he shot himself in the chest with a pistol, but missed his heart.
Tojo_suicide.jpg

As a result of this experience, the Army had medical personnel present during the later arrests of other accused Japanese war criminals, such as Shimada Shigetarō.

As he bled, Tojo began to talk, and two Japanese reporters recorded his words: "I am very sorry it is taking me so long to die. The Greater East Asia War was justified and righteous. I am very sorry for the nation and all the races of the Greater Asiatic powers. I wait for the righteous judgment of history. I wished to commit suicide but sometimes that fails."
[100]

After recovering from his injuries, Tojo was moved to Sugamo Prison. While there, he received a new set of dentures, made by an American dentist, into which the phrase "Remember Pearl Harbor" had been secretly drilled in Morse code.[101]

Crimes committed by Imperial Japan were responsible for the deaths of millions, some estimate between 3,000,000[104] and 14,000,000[105] civilians and prisoners of war through massacre, human experimentation, starvation, and forced labor that was either directly perpetrated or condoned by the Japanese military and government with a significant portion of them occurring during Tojo's rule of the military.[106][107][108][109][110] One source attributes 5,000,000 civilian deaths to Tojo's rule of the military.
Tojo before the International Military Tribunal for the Far East
Hideki Tojo accepted full responsibility in the end for his actions during the war, and made this speech:

It is natural that I should bear entire responsibility for the war in general, and, needless to say, I am prepared to do so. Consequently, now that the war has been lost, it is presumably necessary that I be judged so that the circumstances of the time can be clarified and the future peace of the world be assured. Therefore, with respect to my trial, it is my intention to speak frankly, according to my recollection, even though when the vanquished stands before the victor, who has over him the power of life and death, he may be apt to toady and flatter. I mean to pay considerable attention to this in my actions, and say to the end that what is true is true and what is false is false. To shade one's words in flattery to the point of untruthfulness would falsify the trial and do incalculable harm to the nation, and great care must be taken to avoid this
.[111][2]

Tojo was sentenced to death on November 12, 1948, and executed by hanging 41 days later on December 23, 1948. Before his execution, he gave his military ribbons to one of his guards; they are on display in the National Museum for Naval Aviation in Pensacola, Florida.[112] In his final statement, he apologized for the atrocities committed by the Japanese military and urged the American military to show compassion toward the Japanese people, who had suffered devastating air attacks and the two atomic bombings.[113]

Historians Herbert P. Bix and John W. Dower criticize the work done by General MacArthur and his staff to exonerate Emperor Hirohito and all members of the imperial family from criminal prosecutions. According to them, MacArthur and Brigadier General Bonner Fellers worked to protect the Emperor and shift ultimate responsibility to Tojo.[114][115][116]

The sustained intensity of this campaign to protect the Emperor was revealed when, in testifying before the tribunal on December 31, 1947, Tojo momentarily strayed from the agreed-upon line concerning imperial innocence and referred to the Emperor's ultimate authority. The American-led prosecution immediately arranged that he be secretly coached to recant this testimony. Ryūkichi Tanaka, a former general who testified at the trial and had close connections with chief prosecutor Joseph B. Keenan, was used as an intermediary to persuade Tojo to revise his testimony.[119]

Tojo's commemorating tomb is located in a shrine in Hazu, Aichi (now Nishio, Aichi), and he is one of those enshrined at the controversial Yasukuni Shrine. His ashes are divided between Yasukuni Shrine and Zōshigaya Cemetery in Toshima ward, Tokyo.

120] In the 1998 film Puraido (Pride), Tojo was portrayed as a national hero, forced against his will by the Hull note into attacking America and executed after a rigged trial, a picture of Tojo that is widely accepted in Japan while giving offense abroad
Hideki Tojo - Wikipedia

Anyway, crowds of people of the Shinto faith still treat him as a Catholic would treat a Saint, in the sense that they publicly venerate and honor him, enshrine him, portray him as a national hero and one of the kami (spirits that are worshiped.) Could be I guess...

He seemed to have repented. Maybe he's in heaven or purgatory.

(to be continued)

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
No Emperor of Japan has visited Yasukuni since 1975, although the Emperor and Empress still continue to attend the National Memorial Service for War Dead annually. The head-priest Junna Nakata at Honzen-ji Temple (of the Shingon sect Daigo-ha) requested the pontiff Pope Paul VI to say a Mass for the repose of the souls of the 1,618 men condemned as Class A, B and C war criminals, and he promised to do so. In 1980, Pope John Paul II complied, and a mass was held in St. Peter's Basilica for the 1,618 war criminals.
Yasukuni Shrine - Wikipedia

That's cool that Shinto Priests would recognize the value of a Catholic mass and ask that a mass be celebrated for the repose of the enshrined war criminals, and in atonement for their sins.

War criminals need lovin too :)

God bless and transform their souls...rest in peace! May the mercy of God pardon your transgressions. May your spirits, with the spirit of Hirohito, and the noble "imperial spirits", assist the sacred land of the rising sun and the Emperor. May God, the Angels, and the Saints bless your souls, and transform you into powerful influential Heavenly beings, Saints, In Jesus name, Amen!:praying::babyangel:
giphy.gif
images
images
images
download.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
@Jumi, I think it was, told you not to focus on the darkest hour of Shinto's history and you denied you were. But here you are, obsessing over far-right war criminals. It's like if someone was interested in Catholicism but just made threads about Grand Inquistors and bishops who aided the Nazis in WWII. Stop it.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Post about the beautiful goddess Amaterasu instead or something. Something positive.

Solar-Goddess-Amaterasu.jpg

amaterasu-omikami.jpg

amaterasu-square.jpg
Yeah...she definitely is the greatest, most beautiful of the Kami...

I like our Lady of Akita too
f675609288ea632aaf879761401b54f3.jpg
about_6.jpg
Akita.jpg
Our+Lady+of+Akita+Print.jpg

"The events of Akita have been confirmed by definite miracles, two of which are cited by the Bishop in his pastoral letter. While the warning given by Our Lady at Akita is terrible, the message, as the Bishop points out, is basically a repetition of the Message of Fatima. Our Lady stressed the importance of praying the Rosary, and above all of accepting from God whatever He may send in the course of each day . . . whatever suffering . . . and to offer it up in reparation for so many sins committed throughout the world at this time. Our Lady begged especially for prayers for bishops, priests, and religious, and for reparation before the Blessed Sacrament. Our Lady said: "I have prevented the coming of calamities by offering to the Father, together with all the victim souls who console Him, the sufferings endured by the Son on the Cross, by His blood and by His very loving Soul. Prayer, penance, and courageous sacrifices can appease the anger of the Father."
To the little religious community where Our Lady gave the messages, she asked that it "live in poverty, sanctify itself and pray in reparation for the ingratitude and the outrages of so many men."

On July 6, 1973, a bleeding wound appeared on the right hand of the statue of Our Lady in the chapel. On other days, the face of the statue bled. Sister's guardian angel told her: "This flowing of blood is significant. It will be shed for the conversion of men and in reparation for sins.

Beginning on September 20, 1973, the statue began to sweat from the face to the feet. Tears began to flow down the face. Also, a very pleasant odor was felt in the chapel. This happened many times in the presence of others, including the Bishop. In all, the statue wept a total of 101 times. On October 13, 1973, Our Lady gave Sister Sasagawa this serious message: "As I said before if mankind does not repent, the Heavenly Father will inflict a very serious punishment on the whole world; a punishment the likes of which has never happened before. Many people will perish. Pray the Rosary often. Only I can prevent the disaster. Whoever entrusts themselves to me will be saved." The statue continued to weep and other messages followed. Pilgrims came and many received answers to their prayers. Then, in 1981, Theresa Chon, who was suffering from terminal brain cancer, was miraculously healed through the intercession of Our Lady of Akita. This healing was well documented by Fr. Joseph Oh of Seoul, S. Korea.

Our Lady of Akita - Japan

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yeah...she definitely is the greatest, most beautiful of the Kami...

I like our Lady of Akita too
f675609288ea632aaf879761401b54f3.jpg
about_6.jpg
Akita.jpg
Our+Lady+of+Akita+Print.jpg

"The events of Akita have been confirmed by definite miracles, two of which are cited by the Bishop in his pastoral letter. While the warning given by Our Lady at Akita is terrible, the message, as the Bishop points out, is basically a repetition of the Message of Fatima. Our Lady stressed the importance of praying the Rosary, and above all of accepting from God whatever He may send in the course of each day . . . whatever suffering . . . and to offer it up in reparation for so many sins committed throughout the world at this time. Our Lady begged especially for prayers for bishops, priests, and religious, and for reparation before the Blessed Sacrament. Our Lady said: "I have prevented the coming of calamities by offering to the Father, together with all the victim souls who console Him, the sufferings endured by the Son on the Cross, by His blood and by His very loving Soul. Prayer, penance, and courageous sacrifices can appease the anger of the Father."
To the little religious community where Our Lady gave the messages, she asked that it "live in poverty, sanctify itself and pray in reparation for the ingratitude and the outrages of so many men."

On July 6, 1973, a bleeding wound appeared on the right hand of the statue of Our Lady in the chapel. On other days, the face of the statue bled. Sister's guardian angel told her: "This flowing of blood is significant. It will be shed for the conversion of men and in reparation for sins.

Beginning on September 20, 1973, the statue began to sweat from the face to the feet. Tears began to flow down the face. Also, a very pleasant odor was felt in the chapel. This happened many times in the presence of others, including the Bishop. In all, the statue wept a total of 101 times. On October 13, 1973, Our Lady gave Sister Sasagawa this serious message: "As I said before if mankind does not repent, the Heavenly Father will inflict a very serious punishment on the whole world; a punishment the likes of which has never happened before. Many people will perish. Pray the Rosary often. Only I can prevent the disaster. Whoever entrusts themselves to me will be saved." The statue continued to weep and other messages followed. Pilgrims came and many received answers to their prayers. Then, in 1981, Theresa Chon, who was suffering from terminal brain cancer, was miraculously healed through the intercession of Our Lady of Akita. This healing was well documented by Fr. Joseph Oh of Seoul, S. Korea.

Our Lady of Akita - Japan
I like the Japanese Madonna and Child art. Very pretty. I actually don't tend to like those Marian apparitions because they tend to be so negative, scary and make it like the Father is continually pissed at humanity. A lot of them are on the verge of making Mary out to be a sort of goddess who is saving us from God's wrath. Very weird stuff.

But this isn't about Shinto!

Spiderman

Veteran Member
@Jumi, I think it was, told you not to focus on the darkest hour of Shinto's history and you denied you were. But here you are, obsessing over far-right war criminals. It's like if someone was interested in Catholicism but just made threads about Grand Inquistors and bishops who aided the Nazis in WWII. Stop it.
I'm praying for his soul and the souls of all those who died for the Emperor...I also keep a picture of Hirohito on my wall with a Japanese flag and some kamikaze pilots...They were very brave and gave their life for the Emperor who they believed to be a descendant of the sun Goddess Amaterasu...I admire how brave they were...they believed they were fighting a holy war and giving their lives for kami and country.

The Shinto's fought to the death and rarely ever surrendered. They were well disciplined, extremely courageous, and believed they were fighting for a noble and holy cause. I don't approve of the war crimes, but think prayer can help give grace to their wounded souls, and together I can intercede for Japan with the Emperors, the victims of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, all the casualties of war, the ninjas, the noble men, the martyrs, the Samurai, and all the Kami.

I think Japan is an incredible nation with a most interesting History and Religion. They honor those who served and gave their lives for the Emperor. I admire that! I don't approve of what they did, but pray Divine mercy chaplet and other prayers for them. I believe they can be invoked, contacted, and assist us.

I'm still Catholic but I'm taking this Shinto stuff seriously as well....They are the only nation in the world with an Emperor, and it is the oldest monarchy in the world. There seems to be something Divine behind it....God bless the Imperial family! Long live the Monarchy!

Japan.jpg

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I like the Japanese Madonna and Child art. Very pretty. I actually don't tend to like those Marian apparitions because they tend to be so negative, scary and make it like the Father is continually pissed at humanity. A lot of them are on the verge of making Mary out to be a sort of goddess who is saving us from God's wrath. Very weird stuff.

I consider Mary to be a Kami. Shintoism can be synchronized and blended with other faiths including Catholicism. The Shinto priests asked the Pope to celebrate mass for the enshrined casualties. Apparently they believe in the power of the mass.

Some people in Japan believe Jesus is buried in Japan.

"Shingō village is the location of what is purported to be the last resting place of Jesus, located in the "Tomb of Jesus" (Kirisuto no haka), and the residence of Jesus' last descendants, the family of Sajiro Sawaguchi.["
The Little-Known Legend of Jesus in Japan | History | Smithsonian

Of course I don't believe it's true, but It's still interesting...
jesus-in-japan.png

Spiderman

Veteran Member

Yeah...you are right...the Akita message was about restraining the wrath of God through Rosaries, penance, suffering, and sacrifice. One has to be careful with some private revelations and not let it lead to unhealthy asceticism and fear.

I follow private revelations to an extent, but when they start talking about souls going to hell, judgment, and calamities, I choose to instead focus on what our Lord told Saint Faustina. He said his justice cannot strike any soul that trusts in his mercy, no matter what their sins are, those sins are finite, one drop of his blood atones for them all, as long as the soul trusts in his mercy.

“Jesus:‘I am love and Mercy Itself. There is no misery that could be a match for My mercy, neither will misery exhaust it, because as it is being granted – it increases. The soul that trusts in My mercy is most fortunate, because I Myself take care of it.’” (1273, page 459)

Here the misery of the soul meets the God of Mercy. Tell souls that from this fount of mercy souls draw graces solely with the vessel of trust. If their trust is great, there is no limit to My generosity. The torrent of grace inundate humble souls. The proud remain always in poverty and misery, because My grace turns away from them to humble souls.” (1602, page 568)

My daughter, tell the whole world about My inconceivable mercy. I desire that the Feast of Mercy be a refuge and shelter for all souls, and especially for poor sinners. On that day the very depths of My tender mercy are open. I pour out a whole ocean of graces upon those souls who approach the Fount of My Mercy. The soul that will go to Confession and receive Holy Communion shall obtain complete forgiveness of sins and punishment. On that day all the divine floodgates through which graces flow are opened. Let no soul fear to draw near to Me, even though its sins be as scarlet. My mercy is so great that no mind, be it of man or of angel, will be able to fathom it throughout all eternity. Everything that exists has come forth from the very depths of My most tender mercy. Every soul in its relation to Me will contemplate My love and mercy throughout eternity. The Feast of Mercy emerged from My very depths of tenderness. It is My desire that it be solemnly celebrated on the first Sunday after Easter. Mankind will not have peace until it turns to the Fount of My Mercy.
14 Of The Most Inspiring Quotes from St. Faustina's Diary

Spiderman

Veteran Member
National Teaching is teaching the codes of national government to the people without error. Japan is called the divine land because it is ruled by the heavenly deities descendants, who consolidate the work of the deities. The Way of such consolidation and rule by divine descendants is called Shinto.

— Signed by various Shinto leaders, 1874, Source material[5]:122