• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“Was there a quid pro quo? The answer is yes”

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Gordon Sondland Is about to testify before the impeachment inquiry in a few minutes. And he is going to say there was a quid pro quo.

Have you seen some of his older comments about how the President dealt with governors?
He called it both 'very transactional' and stated it generally involved 'quid pro quo'. Both were meant as positive comments based on the phrasing.

The only question to me is around what the import of this is.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Gordon Sondland Is about to testify before the impeachment inquiry in a few minutes. And he is going to say there was a quid pro quo.

American foreign aid commonly comes with strings attached. American taxpayers should not unconditionally fund corrupt foreign entities.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Thanks for the heads up, OP.

Granted, the US news media does use the terms "quid pro quo" and "no quid pro quo" so much, I do get tired of hearing it on TV.
Well...I checked and I saw in the Anglo Saxon world quid pro quo means bargain .
We call bargain with another expression do ut des...
Here quid pro quo means mistake, misunderstanding.
Literally in Latin "something for some other thing"

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Lol....and we Italians say "misunderstanding"
You say quid pro quo...lol:p

Thanks for the heads up, OP.

Granted, the US news media does use the terms "quid pro quo" and "no quid pro quo" so much, I do get tired of hearing it on TV.

Well...I checked and I saw in the Anglo Saxon world quid pro quo means bargain .
We call bargain with another expression do ut des...
Here quid pro quo means mistake, misunderstanding.
Literally in Latin "something for some other thing"
For clarification, the only reason I put that particular phrase in the thread title is because it is a quote from Sondland’s opening statement. Those were his words.

I would have said “bribery”, Bribery is by definition a “quid pro quo”, although not all quid pro quo’s are bribes. This was a bribe. Trump was using the funds guaranteed by Congress to get an announcement about an investigation into his political rival.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Recently I read a Yahoo News article, I can fetch it if anyone is interested, but I also don't want to go around posting random articles... but it appeared to state that the FBI may investigate the whistleblower. This is significant because if the whistleblower is determined to have done some shady business, it may send the impeachment process to a halt.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Recently I read a Yahoo News article, I can fetch it if anyone is interested, but I also don't want to go around posting random articles... but it appeared to state that the FBI may investigate the whistleblower. This is significant because if the whistleblower is determined to have done some shady business, it may send the impeachment process to a halt.
No, it would be irrelevant.

If I phone in a tip to an anonymous tip line and report a crime, and the police investigate that crime, my identity is irrelevant, if I am a saint or a devil makes no difference.

tytlyf

Not Religious
American foreign aid commonly comes with strings attached. American taxpayers should not unconditionally fund corrupt foreign entities.
That's why Obama withheld aid to Ukraine. They were as corrupt as they come. Only after a regime change did Ukraine deserve to get congressional approved aid.

At the end of the day, Trump/Giuliani were withholding aid not for corrupt reasons, but for personal political reasons. Something Obama never EVER considered.

You can tell this is all linked to the Biden's because the GOP won't stop mentioning the Biden's/Burisma.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Um, you realize that there is a difference between foreign aid having strings attached relating to benefiting the American people, vs. the strings attached relating to actions that will personally and professionally benefit the President, right?

Right?

cladking

When did this country become so corrupt that the investigation of corruption became illegal?

When will pointing out that there is rampant corruption become illegal?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
When did this country become so corrupt that the investigation of corruption became illegal?

Yet another person who doesn't see the difference between "investigating corruption" and "attempting to coerce a foreign political power into investigating a political opponent for personal gain using access to foreign aid as a bargaining chip".

Honestly, the attempt to obfuscate this investigation continue to astound me. And I suppose Richard Nixon shouldn't have been investigated either. After-all, who can blame him? All he wanted to do was make sure the Democratic National Convention was above board. Totally innocent behaviour!

tytlyf

Not Religious

Trump wasn't going after Ukranian corruption, he was going after the Biden's based on a RW conspiracy theory.

Trump believes conspiracy theories, this one did him in.