• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“The Godfather, Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone,”

pearl

One of the more remarkable scenes in the movie has always been Michael’s confession in Rome to the archbishop who will become Pope John Paul I—the victim, in the Coppola version of history, of an assassination. The hierarchy of the church and the Italian Mafia are as one—the Corleones seem relatively naive.

Redemption has been at the root of the “Godfather” movies since they first appeared in 1972. It was always personal: When young Vito Corleone murdered Don Fanucci in 1920 (“The Godfather: Part II”) it was about redeeming his family and his pride. When Michael Corleone started moving the family money into Las Vegas in the mid-1950s (“The Godfather”), it was about legitimizing the Corleone name. When Michael got involved with the 1980s Vatican Bank (in 1990’s “The Godfather: Part III”) it was about sanctifying his business and himself via the imprimatur of the church. The irony—in a series rife with ironies—is that the Vatican of the story is as corrupt as the Corleones.
Catholicism gave ‘The Godfather’ gravitas. Why didn’t it redeem ‘The Godfather III’? | America Magazine

I have to confess I have watched 1,2,and 3, more than once.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
upload_2020-12-14_6-24-24.gif