• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“Stand your ground” shooter arrested

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Oregon has a law that is called "Home Owner is King", so it means that IF you are home, and you believe your life is threatened, you may use lethal force on an intruder. Outside the home, it is very difficult to make a case for the use of lethal force. I have heard the story, but do not plan to watch it on video. Enough is too much. Such activity is best left to Sworn Officers.

We have what they call the castle doctrine in my state.

PureX

Veteran Member
If cops can't get it right, what do we expect of civilians?

And I'm referring to cops killing innocents when they perceive that their lives are in danger.
At least the cops are empowered by the citizens to act as "lawmen", and have presumably been trained to do it reasonably and fairly. The problem I have with the stand your ground law is that it encourages untrained and often unbalanced citizens to arm themselves and then go out and play "lawman". They seek out and even instigate an altercation, and then when they get one, they use it as their excuse to shoot someone. And that's exactly what happened both in this case and in Trayvon Martin's death. These fools are out playing "lawman" with loaded guns when they have no training and no civil authority to be doing so. But we are so obsessed with the gunslinging lawman fantasy in this country that we keep enabling this idiotic behavior instead of discouraging it. And that's what the 'stand your ground law (and fantasy) is really all about. It's this "let's all play lawman" mentality that is driving a stupid and unnecessary law that promotes stupid and dangerous behavior. As well as the insane obsession we have with guns in this country.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
At least the cops are empowered by the citizens to act as "lawmen", and have presumably been trained to do it reasonably and fairly. The problem I have with the stand your ground law is that it encourages untrained and often unbalanced citizens to arm themselves and then go out and play "lawman". They seek out and even instigate an altercation, and then when they get one, they use it as their excuse to shoot someone. And that's exactly what happened both in this case and in Trayvon Martin's death. These fools are out playing "lawman" with loaded guns when they have no training and no civil authority to be doing so. Burt we are so obsessed with the gunslinging lawman fantasy in this country that we keep enabling this idiotic behavior instead of discouraging it. And that's what the 'stand your ground law (and fantasy) is really all about. It's this "let's all play lawman" mentality that is driving this stupid and unnecessary law. As well as the insane obsession we have with guns in this country.

Zimmerman's defense was never based upon "Stand your ground" it was always based upon self defense:

Zimmerman to argue self-defense, won't seek stand-your-ground hearing - CNN

If you had read the Stand Your Ground link that I provide you would have seen that the sheriff made an error by applying it.

By the way, I agree that we need some more effective gun control laws. I have owned a hunting rifle in the past but since I no longer do that I do not even have that gun now, though if I wanted to I could easily get a concealed carry permit. I feel no need to do so.

suncowiam

At least the cops are empowered by the citizens to act as "lawmen", and have presumably been trained to do it reasonably and fairly. The problem I have with the stand your ground law is that it encourages untrained and often unbalanced citizens to arm themselves and then go out and play "lawman". They seek out and even instigate an altercation, and then when they get one, they use it as their excuse to shoot someone. And that's exactly what happened both in this case and in Trayvon Martin's death. These fools are out playing "lawman" with loaded guns when they have no training and no civil authority to be doing so. But we are so obsessed with the gunslinging lawman fantasy in this country that we keep enabling this idiotic behavior instead of discouraging it. And that's what the 'stand your ground law (and fantasy) is really all about. It's this "let's all play lawman" mentality that is driving a stupid and unnecessary law that promotes stupid and dangerous behavior. As well as the insane obsession we have with guns in this country.

That's the whole point of my comment to begin with. We have trained police that still kill innocents.

Shad

Veteran Member
Looks like the shooter instigated the altercation and there was no follow up after the push. The shooter will be convicted in my opinion.

Shad

Veteran Member
This is a case where stand your ground needs to be re-evaluated especially considering the racial disparity between blacks and whites in states with stand your ground. In this particular case I think it can go either way but more importantly I see the prosecution going after Michael Drejka’s past concerning him antagonizing other patrons parking and using the n-word to several others. I’m glad prosecutors did the right thing.

There is a conflict between the presumption innocence and stand your ground. Perhaps an "Active Shooter" law and procedure needs to be developed to bridge the gap. Investigation priority and standards seems low in these cases.

PureX

Veteran Member
That's the whole point of my comment to begin with. We have trained police that still kill innocents.
Yes, and the answer to that would be better training, and better vetting of police officers. Not arming untrained and unstable citizens and telling them they can shoot someone any time they feel "threatened".

suncowiam

Yes, and the answer to that would be better training, and better vetting of police officers. Not arming untrained and unstable citizens and telling them they can shoot someone any time they feel "threatened".

You still didn't get my point. :)

Professionals can't even get it right, what can we expect from amateurs.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
For those who oppose self defense, I ask what the woman in
the house should've done...other than shoot her assailant?
Short video...