• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“Something there is that doesn't love a wall”

WalterTrull

Godfella
More wanton domestic killing today: 50 dead 400 in the hospital. Why? My hunch is exclusion.

One says: “Stay in your house, board up your windows, get a gun!” Another says: “It’s the media. They promote terrorism. They make stars out of killers!” Another: “Social media, social media!”

I’m thinking walls. People who are excluded, who are banned, who are left out, tend to react. Very often, they get angry and lash out.

My suggested solution: inclusion. Social media is probably not currently the solution because there is a built-in wall. Maybe technology will someday force us to face our fears by being so prevalent there are no more hiding places. The road will probably be a little rough though. (Did you love how Intel was forced to dispense with the locater chip?)

I am very fond of Robert Frost’s “Mending Wall”

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
More wanton domestic killing today: 50 dead 400 in the hospital. Why? My hunch is exclusion.

One says: “Stay in your house, board up your windows, get a gun!” Another says: “It’s the media. They promote terrorism. They make stars out of killers!” Another: “Social media, social media!”

I’m thinking walls. People who are excluded, who are banned, who are left out, tend to react. Very often, they get angry and lash out.

My suggested solution: inclusion. Social media is probably not currently the solution because there is a built-in wall. Maybe technology will someday force us to face our fears by being so prevalent there are no more hiding places. The road will probably be a little rough though. (Did you love how Intel was forced to dispense with the locater chip?)

There is absolutely no excuse or justification for killing innocent people, much less tens of them. The idea that the actions of such mass murderers could possibly be put down to "exclusion" is no less blindly rosy-eyed and deceptively toxic than overt terrorist and extremist apologetics.

I know many people, myself included, who a lot of the time feel excluded, discriminated against, and left out, but they have never and would never hurt an innocent person because of that. It seems to me that it's time fewer people bought into such shallow excuses for hurting innocent people and started to condemn such actions as much as is warranted.

By the way, if you feel exclusion is the reason for such an attack, I suggest thinking about whether including people like ISIS members in our everyday lives would stop them from committing crimes—because it's not like many of them left relatively comfortable, stable lives to go and join a terrorist organization, after all.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

My hunch is automatic rifles.

WalterTrull

Godfella
By the way, if you feel exclusion is the reason for such an attack, I suggest thinking about whether including people like ISIS members in our everyday lives would stop them from committing crimes—because it's not like many of them left relatively comfortable, stable lives to go and join a terrorist organization, after all.
Uhmm... don't quite follow all of that. Maybe a generation or two back it might have prevented ISIS. I'm thinking maybe heading towards inclusion could help in a few generations.
Did you vote for Trump?;)

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Uhmm... don't quite follow all of that. Maybe a generation or two back it might have prevented ISIS. I'm thinking maybe heading towards inclusion could help in a few generations.

I'm thinking many terrorists already have enough inclusion and, even if they don't, have no justification whatsoever for their actions. I'm hoping fewer people will make excuses for them in the future given the repeated attacks.

Did you vote for Trump?;)

No, and I'm not an American to begin with. Wouldn't vote for him if I were one either.

WalterTrull

Godfella
I'm thinking many terrorists already have enough inclusion and, even if they don't, have no justification whatsoever for their actions. I'm hoping fewer people will make excuses for them in the future given the repeated attacks.
Not justifying. No excuses. If thy right eye offend thee... Just trying to understand. Maybe a plan for future.