• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“Progressive” Muslims only, are you a progressive for reasons of popularity?

Ellen Brown

I'm 'progressive' because some of the beliefs are repulsive to me. And, tribal beliefs have greatly damaged legitimate Islam. Sadly, some of those pushing counterfeit Islamic beliefs will kill you. I'll stop there.

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
Belonging to or empathising with the values of self labelled “progressive” Muslims.

To find out more about what I mean you could read sites such as;
https://www.reddit.com/r/progressive_islam/
Or
Home

Okay. I'm not sure I'd call myself a progressive Muslim (I'm pretty heterodox me), although I don't really have a problem with these values.

I still struggle a bit with understanding your OP - what exactly do you mean by being progressive for reasons of popularity? Can you expand a bit on that?

danieldemol

Premium Member
Okay. I'm not sure I'd call myself a progressive Muslim (I'm pretty heterodox me), although I don't really have a problem with these values.

I still struggle a bit with understanding your OP - what exactly do you mean by being progressive for reasons of popularity? Can you expand a bit on that?
It is actually the position of American Muslim scholar Yasir Qadhi. In his commentary, "the rise and fall of the Muslim Ummah"
American Muslim scholar Yasir Qadhi says of progressives at 1;07 that they are motivated by whatever is popular in society, I understand him to mean that they are just diluting their views to be more popular with their peers, so I desired to put his allegation to progressive Muslims to demonstrate whether this is true or just a slander by Yasir against progressives.

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
Okay. I'm not sure I'd call myself a progressive Muslim (I'm pretty heterodox me)

Same for me, I wouldn't call myself "progressive" though (because of political association.....although I love "Prog Rock")
I'm pretty Orthodox as Shia but I have a Heterodox Sufi streak. Politics has no part in my life, other than that it's a madhouse that I try to make sense of. In many ways I'm an anarchist (in that I reject all current forms of government and industry, as well as Religious Establishment) but I'm against forced secularism.
My view of religion in general is quite all-encompassing, as I ascribe to a Traditionalist view of religion (the development of the Perennial Philosophy) but am not a Universalist, nor do I think reality is relative.

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
It is actually the position of American Muslim scholar Yasir Qadhi. In his commentary, "the rise and fall of the Muslim Ummah"
American Muslim scholar Yasir Qadhi says of progressives at 1;07 that they are motivated by whatever is popular in society, I understand him to mean that they are just diluting their views to be more popular with their peers, so I desired to put his allegation to progressive Muslims to demonstrate whether this is true or just a slander by Yasir against progressives.

Oh, okay. Well, insofar as you might call me progressive because I don't have a problem with those values, I certainly don't do so to be popular. But that may be because I'm not really a progressive. My views are so heterodox as to be unacceptable to I'd imagine most every Muslim and to anyone who believes in/worships a creator deity, so I'm if anything making myself (deeply) unpopular to hold them.