• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“Harry Potter 20th Anniversary: Return to Hogwarts.

pearl

Return to Hogwarts.” In this two-hour special, J.K. Rowling, the author of the series, and the cast and crew of the films remember their decade together making the magic of the books come to life on screen. This year also marks the 20-year anniversary of The Boston Globe’s reporting on the child sexual abuse crisis in the Catholic Church.
As an abuse survivor who was raised Catholic, these two events are intricately related for me. I listened to Danielle Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, Tom Felton and others reflect on becoming a family and recalled how the Harry Potter series helped me to create a fulfilling life after being betrayed by my family and the church as a survivor of incest abuse.

Harry Potter helped me to heal from incest abuse | America Magazine

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I wish I could have seen it. But with the current model of distribution, I'm not going through the hassle of signing up, watching it and then cancelling. If it were pay-per-view, and reasonably priced I would have coughed up a few $$.

Return to Hogwarts.” In this two-hour special, J.K. Rowling, the author of the series, and the cast and crew of the films remember their decade together making the magic of the books come to life on screen.

Did J.K. Rowling get to participate much in this? I thought that some of the main cast had distanced themselves from her due to the trans comments controversy, or are they back on friendly terms?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
J.K. Rowling wasn't included in the Harry Potter 20th Anniversary special. She was only shown in archival footage. And yes, several of the cast members from the Harry Potter movies publicly denounced her comments and have distanced themselves from her.

Other people associated with the franchise also publicly denounced her. The two largest Harry Potter fan sites, Muggle Net and The Leaky Cauldron, denounced her and released a joint statement in support of transgenders. Warner Bros. also released a statement.

I was a fan of Harry Potter for almost 20 years myself, but I left the fandom because of the controversy surrounding Rowling. Her controversial tweets turned fans against other fans, and eventually the fandom I loved became very hostile and miserable.

Last edited:

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Yes, Rowling has a right to her own opinion, however, that doesn't protect her from the consequences and backlash of Harry Potter fans calling her out for her controversial opinion. A multitude of Potterheads have separated "the art from the artist," while they're distancing themselves from her and her ongoing controversy. She's basically bitten the hand that feeds her, because she's turned a lot of the fandom against her. It's truly ironic when you think of the Harry Potter book series, because one of the book series' main themes is its characters combating pureblood bigotry against Muggles, Muggleborn witches and wizards, and magical creatures.

J.K. Rowling's Name Dropped From School After Requests by Students, Staff

'Harry Potter' sport quidditch to change name, citing J.K. Rowling's 'anti-trans positions'

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
JK Rowling has every right to her opinion.

The fact she isn't included in her own creation is disgusting.
She was included. And she has every right to her opinion. That doesn’t exclude her from the consequences. If she were a massive racist, the result would be the same. Her work would be celebrated, as it was here. But for PR purposes (at the very least) the rest of the cast and crew would distance themselves from her. That’s not infringing on her rights. That’s reacting to social pressures as has happened throughout the centuries. No man is an island, as they say.

Even Tolkien is routinely criticised for outdated and sort of racist-ish portrayals. But has the benefit of being dead and from “the past.” So he’s mostly shrugged off as just an outdated old white guy. Like many of his contemporaries, if I’m honest

Rowling is alive, therefore has to live with the consequences of her words/speech. She can either double down or hold true to her views. That’s her choice. But either way she has to live with the consequences all the same.
I can’t attend a rally full of known sexists and then cry when other people label me a sexist for such actions. Society will always judge you, my friend. It always has. What we deem unacceptable and acceptable has merely changed. Which will happen in any living society.