• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

‘The word was God’ - What was that almighty word that created all things?

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
In the beginning God spoke a ‘word’ that initiated the creation of the material world.

What was that ‘word’ that God spoke?

And God spoke another word and another word and another word… and all that was created was created by that word that God spoke - That word was an almighty word that could not be resisted - what God spoke must come to be.

‘That word was God’:
  • That word was Almighty
  • That word was irresistible
  • That word was monumental
  • That word was glorious
  • That word was majestic
  • That word was all powerful
So, to me, the word was ‘God’, all the above apply as what that word was - It was not claiming that the spoken word of God was YHWH, the deity God… indeed, linguistics does not tally with that notion: ‘God’ as a Title is not ‘God’ as a description/definition/meaning of the term, ‘God’.

‘And the word [the deity God spoke] was with God’:
  • And the word was with mightiness, was with gloriousness, was with majesty, was with all power and authority, was with irresistibility word
What “God” (title of the deity) spoke must come to be: ‘To put flesh on the bones of your word’ - to put on flesh - to come true. This speaks of an act that was prophesied coming to fruition. It does not claim that ‘the word’ God spoke was a person but ‘of a person’ - the messiah.

So this ‘The word put on flesh’ is not speaking about the word being a glorious majestic monumental person but rather that God’s spoken word was such - and God’s word must put on flesh.

Taking into account that [the deity] God [Yhwh] spoke the word that created all things, and that ‘God’ as a definition means something of almighty greatness, how would you interpret ‘The word was God’?

Last edited:

3rdAngel

There is nothing in your OP post here that has any truth to it. The scripture context shows that "the Word being with God in the beginning in John 1:1-4 that created all things is talking about Jesus. This is the scripture context as shown in John 1:14.

Jesus is the Word of God who was in the beginning with God who was God.
  • John 1:1-4 ;14 1, IN THE BEGINNING WAS THE WORD, AND THE WORD WAS WITH GOD, AND THE WORD WAS GOD. 2, THE SAME WAS IN THE BEGINNING WITH GOD. 3, ALL THINGS WERE MADE BY HIM; AND WITHOUT HIM WAS NOT ANY THING MADE THAT WAS MADE. 4, In him was life; and the life was the light of men. [10] He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. [14], AND THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH, AND DWELT AMONG US, AND WE BEHELD HIS GLORY, THE GLORY AS OF THE ONLY BEGOTTEN OF THE FATHER, FULL OF GRACE AND TRUTH.
Agrees with...
  • Hebrews 1:1-2;8 1, God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, 2, HAS IN THESE LAST DAYS SPOKEN TO US BY HIS SON, WHOM HE HAS APPOINTED HEIR OF ALL THINGS, BY WHOM ALSO HE MADE THE WORLDS; 3, WHO BEING THE BRIGHTNESS OF HIS GLORY, AND THE EXPRESS IMAGE OF HIS PERSON, AND UPHOLDING ALL THINGS BY THE WORD OF HIS POWER, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high
  • Hebrews 1:8 8 BUT TO THE SON HE (the father) SAYS "YOUR THRONE O GOD (Jesus) IS FOREVER AND EVER, the scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your kingdom.
You do err not knowing the scriptures.

You take Care now

exchemist

Veteran Member
In the beginning God spoke a ‘word’ that initiated the creation of the material world.

And God spoke another word and another word and another word… and all that was created was created by that word that God spoke - That word was an almighty word that could not be resisted - what God spoke must come to be.

‘That word was God’:
  • That word was Almighty
  • That word was glorious
  • That word was majestic
So, to me, the word was ‘God’, all the above apply as what that word was - It was not claiming that the spoken word of God was YHWH, the deity God… indeed, linguistics does not tally with that notion: ‘God’ as a Title is not ‘God’ as a description/definition/meaning of the term, ‘God’.

• And the word was with mightiness, was with gloriousness, was with majesty, was with all power and authority, was with irresistibility word
What “God” (title of the deity) spoke must come to be: ‘To put flesh on the bones of your word’ - to put on flesh - to come true. This speaks of an act that was prophesied coming to fruition. It does not claim that ‘the word’ God spoke was a person but ‘of a person’ - the messiah.

So this ‘The word put on flesh’ is not speaking about the word being a glorious majestic monumental person but rather that God’s spoken word was such - and God’s word must put on flesh.

Taking into account that [the deity] God [Yhwh] spoke the word that created all things, and that ‘God’ as a definition means something of almighty greatness, how would you interpret ‘The word was God’?
The Word is the second person of the Trinity.:p

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you

‘That word was God’:
  • That word was Almighty
  • That word was glorious
  • That word was majestic

Dear Soapy

Here, we are in luck, for it is far easier for modern Man to understand this part of Divine Mystery today, that it ever could have been for our forefathers.

Word, in this context, refers to the chosen law(s)* from which worldliness came into being and has evolved from ever since.

Our forefathers would use parables like “name”, “tapestry”, etc, when attempting to describe the word-aspect. Today, we could think of it in terms of “equation”, “code” or -why not- even “algorithm”.

Physical existence is the unfolding (incarnation/ manifestation/ evolution) of God’s chosen word. All that is possible within limits of the word, must and shall occur before the judgement and “rewriting” of the Book of Life.

In a sense, it could be said that worldly life is the assessment of its “code”.

*) So far, Man has uncovered 4 laws [of physics] that must be in place, in order for us to experience physical being as we do. One day, Man may find that the 4 are all aspects of just 1 (the word).

Humbly
Hermit

PureX

Veteran Member
"Word" is a poor translation of the Greek term "logos". Which referred to a kind of divine, universal "logic" upon which and through which physical existence happens, and is shaped. The sentence makes complete sense when we understand the idea of the original word "logos". Think of it as the ultimate TOE. The ideological blueprint for existence, within the mind of God (the gods). That's how the Greeks used that term when it was written into the NT.

101G

GINOLJC, to all,
‘That word was God’
need not to go any further.
There is nothing in your OP post here that has any truth to it. The scripture context shows that "the Word being with God in the beginning in John 1:1-4 that created all things is talking about Jesus. This is the scripture context as shown in John 1:14.
The Word is the second person of the Trinity.
yes, Jesus is God, but not a trinity. one in the SAME person who made all things. scripture, Isaiah 44:24 "Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;"

now, if Jesus is not the "LORD" all capitalization here, then you have two separate Gods that "MADE ALL THINGS". because God by Isaiah his prophet said here in Isaiah 44:24 that A. he was "ALONE", meaning no one else present. and B. "BY HIMSELF". again, saying that there was no one else is present. so, John 1:1c is correct.

now as far as the Word was "WITH" goes. meaning the Words was with God in the beginning, and as John 1:1c states, "the Word is God". LET THE BIBLE TEACH YOU

Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD
Remember the "LORD", the Word, both titles are of the one person JESUS, Who MADE ALL THINGS, again reading John 1:3, and Isaiah 44:24. let's see if this is the SAME ONE PERSON. Listen CAREFULLY,

Isaiah 41:4 "Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning? I the LORD, the first, and with the last; I am he." the "LORD" who is the FIRST is "WITH" the LAST, correct, just as John 1:1 the Word "WITH" God.... Correct, now this,

Isaiah 44:6 "Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God." HOLD IT, did not Isaiah 41:4 say thew First was ..... "WITH" ..... the Last, and now here the First AND the Last is the same one person.... but hold on it gets better,

Isaiah 48:12 "Hearken unto me, O Jacob and Israel, my called; I am he; I am the first, I also am the last." ALSO, indicate the SAME ONE PERSON. this is God speaking, the BIBLE, not 101G, so don't argue with 101G, ok, argue with God.

101G

ps we suggest one re-read Isaiah 41:4, Isaiah 44:6, and Isaiah 48:12, then one can understand John 1:1-3

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

‘That word was God’:
  • That word was Almighty
  • That word was glorious
  • That word was majestic

You twist yourself into knots in order to deny the obvious implications. Jesus is the Word who is God.

Soapy

So what was the word that God spoke in the beginning to create the physical world?

And, can the term ‘God’, mean:
  • Ruling entity
  • Greatest
  • Monumental
  • Glorious
  • Majestic
  • All powerful and authoritative
Can ‘The spoken utterance of the deity of the Jews’ be all those listed terms:
  • ‘The word spoken by the God of the Jews was a monumental utterance… was all powerful and irresistible… was majestic, and glorious’
  • And ‘The spoken word of the deity of the Jews was with gloriousness, with all powerfulness, was with monumentality, was irresistible, was glorious…’?
Would you say that the word that the deity of the Jews uttered (the word He spoke) was any or all of those listed terms… if not, please say why not?

“In the beginning God created the Heavens and the earth’ saying: “Let there be light”…

Was that not a majestic, monumental, irresistible, all powerful, almighty … word?

Was that ‘word’ not with majesty, power, ruling, glorious…?

Was not creation made with gloriousness, with power, with majesty, with irresistibility…?

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
GINOLJC, to all,
need not to go any further.

yes, Jesus is God, but not a trinity. one in the SAME person who made all things. scripture, Isaiah 44:24 "Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;"

now, if Jesus is not the "LORD" all capitalization here, then you have two separate Gods that "MADE ALL THINGS". because God by Isaiah his prophet said here in Isaiah 44:24 that A. he was "ALONE", meaning no one else present. and B. "BY HIMSELF". again, saying that there was no one else is present. so, John 1:1c is correct.

now as far as the Word was "WITH" goes. meaning the Words was with God in the beginning, and as John 1:1c states, "the Word is God". LET THE BIBLE TEACH YOU

Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD
Remember the "LORD", the Word, both titles are of the one person JESUS, Who MADE ALL THINGS, again reading John 1:3, and Isaiah 44:24. let's see if this is the SAME ONE PERSON. Listen CAREFULLY,

Isaiah 41:4 "Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning? I the LORD, the first, and with the last; I am he." the "LORD" who is the FIRST is "WITH" the LAST, correct, just as John 1:1 the Word "WITH" God.... Correct, now this,

Isaiah 44:6 "Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God." HOLD IT, did not Isaiah 41:4 say thew First was ..... "WITH" ..... the Last, and now here the First AND the Last is the same one person.... but hold on it gets better,

Isaiah 48:12 "Hearken unto me, O Jacob and Israel, my called; I am he; I am the first, I also am the last." ALSO, indicate the SAME ONE PERSON. this is God speaking, the BIBLE, not 101G, so don't argue with 101G, ok, argue with God.

101G

ps we suggest one re-read Isaiah 41:4, Isaiah 44:6, and Isaiah 48:12, then one can understand John 1:1-3
Given the riot of fonts and colours on your posts, my, erm, detector has gone off, so I'm going to leave you to it. Don't bother replying to me in future - unless you want to make a point for others to read.

[click]

Heyo

Veteran Member

‘That word was God’:
  • That word was Almighty
  • That word was glorious
  • That word was majestic

I'd like someone knowledgable in Koine Greek to say a few words about "logos". As far as I know there is not only one possible translation, "Logos" can also mean "thought".

101G

Given the riot of fonts and colours on your posts, my, erm, detector has gone off, so I'm going to leave you to it. Don't bother replying to me in future - unless you want to make a point for others to read.

[click]
well then you should have never replied in the First place. so, you can throw your dirt, but not no one else?

I made it my point to reply, .... for the, as you say. "the riot of fonts and colours, and your erm, detector has gone off". is only an excuse to avoid the TRUTH. as said, you would have been better off not replying at all.

101G.

Soapy

I just get a bit fed up with the cracked record, over and over.:rolleyes:
You do have the option of not responding to posts that you feel you are not worthy to reply to.

No one demands that you go into a synagogue if you believe in a temple worship. No one demands that you eat pork if you are vegan. No one demands that you wear red if you think it’s too overt. …

There should never be a reply to any post saying ‘I’m fed up of answering posts like this!’ … just do not answer if you feel they are not worth your time!

Soapy

You do have the option of not responding to posts that you feel you are not worthy to reply to.

No one demands that you go into a synagogue if you believe in a temple worship. No one demands that you eat pork if you are vegan. No one demands that you wear red if you think it’s too overt. …

There should never be a reply to any post saying ‘I’m fed up of answering posts like this!’ … just do not answer if you feel they are not worth your time!
‘In the beginning God spoke a word that brought creation into existence… that word was with mightiness, and all powerfulness - that word of creation was almighty’:
  • ‘Let there be light!’
  • “This is what the LORD says— your Redeemer, who formed you in the womb: I am the LORD, the Maker of all things, who stretches out the heavens, who spreads out the earth by myself,” (Isaiah 42:44)
The name ‘LORD’ is really ‘YHWH’. So for those who say that the word of God is Jesus this verse would be saying that Jesus YHWH. Do you agree?

That saying, if we put it that Jesus is YHWH then we have:
  • ‘In the beginning was YHWH, and YHWH was with God, and YHWH was God. YHWH was in the beginning with God’
Do you agree?

Or who do you say YHWH is?
Remember that it was YHWH’s word (His almighty and majestic utterance) that created all things and He says that He Alone create all things.

Is YHWH Jesus?

Is YHWH word, Jesus?

Is Jesus, YHWH’s word?

Is YHWH, the Father… afterall, ‘Father’ means ‘Creator’!!

Last edited:

101G

The name ‘LORD’ is really ‘YHWH’. So for those who say that the word of God is Jesus this verse would be saying that Jesus YHWH. Do you agree?
yes, as the Ordinal First.
Or who do you say YHWH is?
the "LORD", all caps, the Ordinal First who is JESUS/YESHUA.... (smile)
Is YHWH, the Father… afterall, ‘Father’ means ‘Creator’!!
Now you're talking. Jesus is the Father, who CREATED and MADE all things as ,,,,,, "LORD", the Ordinal First. Jesus the Word, that was made Flesh, the Ordinal Last, the Last Adam, the Son, CREATED NOTHING, but Jesus the Word did.

understand 101G's Belief,

JESUS, God, is an "ECHAD" of himself that manifested in flesh bone and blood. meaning JESUS, the Ordinal First CREATED, and MADE ALL THINGS, hence the title "FATHER". and Jesus, as Ordinal LAST, REDEEMED, and SAVE/SAVIOUR all that he had CREAED and MADE in the beginning, hence the title "Son".

so Jesus as LORD is as you said correctly is CREATOR and MAKER of ALL THINGS. Jesus as Lord is REDEEMER, and SAVIOUR of all that he Created and Made.

all of this is accomplish by being an ECHAD of himself, or as 101G teach the "DIVERSITY" of himself in flesh.

that was a good post Soapy, now get behind those ears,,,,, (smile)

stay blessed,

101G.

Soapy

yes, as the Ordinal First.

the "LORD", all caps, the Ordinal First who is JESUS/YESHUA.... (smile)

Now you're talking. Jesus is the Father, who CREATED and MADE all things as ,,,,,, "LORD", the Ordinal First. Jesus the Word, that was made Flesh, the Ordinal Last, the Last Adam, the Son, CREATED NOTHING, but Jesus the Word did.

understand 101G's Belief,

JESUS, God, is an "ECHAD" of himself that manifested in flesh bone and blood. meaning JESUS, the Ordinal First CREATED, and MADE ALL THINGS, hence the title "FATHER". and Jesus, as Ordinal LAST, REDEEMED, and SAVE/SAVIOUR all that he had CREAED and MADE in the beginning, hence the title "Son".

so Jesus as LORD is as you said correctly is CREATOR and MAKER of ALL THINGS. Jesus as Lord is REDEEMER, and SAVIOUR of all that he Created and Made.

all of this is accomplish by being an ECHAD of himself, or as 101G teach the "DIVERSITY" of himself in flesh.

that was a good post Soapy, now get behind those ears,,,,, (smile)

stay blessed,

101G.
That is certainly an interesting take on the matter. I’ve not heard this before in this form.

But as I asked, if Jesus is YHWH and also YHWH’s word…? How does that work?

I mean, ‘YHWH was with God’??

To make sense of that statement the word ‘God’ cannot be a deity (personality / person). It has to be a description of something …:
  • ‘I went on a team building games trip with some colleagues. Stewart was Boss
You would automatically know that Stewart was not ‘The Boss” of the business. You should automatically know that I’m saying that Stewart in that group was ‘The most impressive, the hero, the best performer’.

So the word, ‘Boss’, has different MEANINGS according to where it is used in a sentence. And the same applies to the word, ‘God’, as I outlined in the OP and other post. So the sentence I asked would read:
  • ‘And YHWH was almighty, was glorious, was majestic, was all powerful…’
Does that make sense… like:
  • ‘The lion is God of all animals in the jungle
  • ‘The judge is God of his courtroom
  • ‘A Father is God of his household
  • ‘The Chess Grandmaster is God of his game
You automatically understand that the word ‘God’ is not claiming to be ‘YHWH GOD of the Jews’ but rather, it pertains to a definition in meaning akin to ‘All powerful’:
  • ‘In the beginning was the word [of YHWH]’
  • ‘And the word [of YHWH] was with majestic power and irresistible authority’
  • ‘And the word [of YHWH] was almighty’
What do you say?

Last edited: