• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ِِA question about sin

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Why do Christians care about the inherited sin
Many modern Christians don't give inherited sin much thought nowadays. Those that do are concerning themselves with illogical past dogma.
or any other sin

Because sin takes you further from your inner God as your morals are surrendered to lower passions.
and why do they confess their sins to priests and ask for forgiveness when they believe that Jesus sacrificed himself for their sin?
As far as I know, that is pretty much a Catholic thing where the priest is a trained intermediary between man and God and guides the lay people and he instructs them on the path to forgiveness.

Latewish

Many modern Christians don't give inherited sin much thought nowadays. Those that do are concerning themselves with illogical past dogma.

Because sin takes you further from your inner God as your morals are surrendered to lower passions.

As far as I know, that is pretty much a Catholic thing where the priest is a trained intermediary between man and God and guides the lay people and he instructs them on the path to forgiveness.

Your a Monism, why are you answering for Christians ?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Why do Christians care about the inherited sin or any other sin and why do they confess their sins to priests and ask for forgiveness when they believe that Jesus sacrificed himself for their sin?

Christians care about sin (to those who believe in inherited sin) because they feel that their inherited sin tempts them to commit wrongful behaviors against god. (Like the snake thing). They feel they cannot change their behavior on their own because they feel that their inherited sin will always control them (aka, when they refer to the devil).

Priests are elders to the denomination or "church" they belong to. As such, like in a family we have roles, in the Church each person lay to Pope have roles within the body of Christ.

Christians confess their sins to god not the priest. Think of it like a teacher. The student can read the book point blank; and, the student can also hear the same information from the teacher. The teacher is not the knowledge they read in the book. He is just transferring knowledge to where the student understands it better. So when the student reads the book, that book or scripture of god is the source of knowledge-not the priest.

When Christians confess to the priest, they are confessing to god. The priest is an elder to help the Christian to confess to god. When he absolves the Christian of her sin, it isn't the priest. It's a behavior (like Muslim prayers and prostrations) that when a priest holds his hand over the Christian's head, the priest asks god (or some say pray for god) to forgive the Christian as the Christian prays to god for his sins (transgressions against god) to be forgiven.

Jesus Christ died to forgive a Christian of his sins not take them away. So, when they sin, the blood of Christ "washed away" that sin so god can look over them in favor. The inherited sin is only sacrificed and taken away in full when that Christian dies and returns to Christ. Until then, the blood doesn't mean "take away", it means "forgiveness and sacrifice."

Christians ask for forgiveness for the transgressions they made against god since they know Christ forgave them, what they did wrong is insulting Christ's gift of grace. So, that is why they ask for forgiveness. The priest is the role of an elder. He doesn't absolve sins but asks god in the name of Jesus to do so.

The confesser

"My God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart. In choosing to do wrong and failing to good, I have sinned against You, whom I should love above all things. I firmly intend, with the help of Your grace, to sin no more and to avoid whatever leads me to sin.Our Savior, Jesus Christ, suffered and died for us. In His name, my

God, have mercy."

The priest:

"God the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of His Son, has reconciled the world to Himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins. Through the ministry of the Church, may God give you pardon and peace. I [acting as an elder in Christ-NOT as Christ] absolve you from your sins, in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. [not himself/the priest]"
Even protestant Churches have something similar. When a person comes to ask Jesus to be his Lord and Savior, he goes to the front of the church and sometimes puts his head down on the floor. The pastor comes and touches his head, rubs oil, and/or make the sign of the cross on the converts forehead.

Many denominations have their elders involved in the spiritual life of the people within their church. The bias comes from lack of experience (rather than indoctrination) and wisdom (rather than understanding) of why people believe what they do and how it relates to each person as well as the roles they take.

For example, I don't know anything about Islam. From the outside, I see Muslims pray in ritual prostrations. I see ill events on the news. I hear a lot of bias. I used to know a Muslim and I speak to a lot of people about their faith (like today, we talked about Ramadan) and it makes me think of why people do what they do.

Unlike some protestant churches, Catholic, Islam, Judaism, and a few in between actually do things in worship. It's not just outside of the Church or Mosque like charity and generosity but it's an action and communion within the house of worship as well.

It's beautiful. I wish other people can see that in Catholicism and like faiths of ritual traditions as they see it in their own faith. Then, it's not all one-sided.

Nam.
:leafwind:

rusra02

Premium Member
Why do Christians care about the inherited sin or any other sin and why do they confess their sins to priests and ask for forgiveness when they believe that Jesus sacrificed himself for their sin?
Sin is any act or omission that is displeasing to the true God. Since "the wages sin pays is death", the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, I believe, provides forgiveness for sins, and allows us ultimately to live forever. (Romans 6:23) While many claiming to be Christian confess their sins to priests, other professing Christians believe that practice is unscriptural.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

The 'sacrifice', is conditional. Only some denominations have 'confessional', it's specific to certain churches. There is nothing in the Bible about confessing to priests.

'inherited sin', is another church specific concept, the punishment for Eve's sin, is that Adamu and Chavvah were forced to leave the Garden.

Latewish

So, Jesus's alleged sacrifice changed nothing, it's like in the old, we sin and we repent and ask god for forgiveness and god forgives. All the explanations you provided are not from the bible, they are your opinions, the bible say's that Jesus destroyed sin and canceled the laws of god, meaning he freed you from the shackles of the laws by destroying the sin. But today bright Christians like your selves are trying to give a logical meaning to it. But the truth is that Jesus was never sacrificed and the laws were never abolished. And to be a good Christian, thou shall not kill, thou shall not lie..etc. And if you break one of these laws for any reason and afterwards you felt regrets, you repent and ask for forgiveness just like in Judaism and Islam. Jesus teachings were the same teachings of all the prophets of god, he changed nothing, but others did, like Saul of Tarsus.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
So, Jesus's alleged sacrifice changed nothing, it's like in the old, we sin and we repent and ask god for forgiveness and god forgives. All the explanations you provided are not from the bible, they are your opinions, the bible say's that Jesus destroyed sin and canceled the laws of god, meaning he freed you from the shackles of the laws by destroying the sin. But today bright Christians like your selves are trying to give a logical meaning to it. But the truth is that Jesus was never sacrificed and the laws were never abolished. And to be a good Christian, thou shall not kill, thou shall not lie..etc. And if you break one of these laws for any reason and afterwards you felt regrets, you repent and ask for forgiveness just like in Judaism and Islam. Jesus teachings were the same teachings of all the prophets of god, he changed nothing, but others did, like Saul of Tarsus.

Jesus is called 'G-d;. in the Bible. So He canceled His own laws? He calls Himself the Deific title of G-d , /'the Father'...if you think that is metaphor, then you have no idea what would be considered appropriate titles, or even sensible titles, to those in the Judaic paradigm //contextually, the people in the NT. Jesus , according to the Bible, did, outright, change or modify some of the Torah laws. You haven't read the NT, i take it? Do you understand what the Torah laws mean, in Judaism, in the first place? Do you understand that one could not just change various laws, without authority.
Your arguments don't make sense.

Latewish

Jesus is called 'G-d;. in the Bible. So He canceled His own laws? He calls Himself the Deific title of G-d , /'the Father'...if you think that is metaphor, then you have no idea what would be considered appropriate titles, or even sensible titles, to those in the Judaic paradigm //contextually, the people in the NT. Jesus , according to the Bible, did, outright, change or modify some of the Torah laws. You haven't read the NT, i take it? Do you understand what the Torah laws mean, in Judaism, in the first place? Do you understand that one could not just change various laws, without authority.
Your arguments don't make sense.

According to the bible, Jacob won god in a wrestling single handed, and did not let him go even when god begged him, and did not let him go until he forced him to bless him. .
You believe that Jesus was god, Why? because this bible say's so. Do you know why the sons of Israel did not believe in Jesus and his miracles ? because he said that he was the Messiah, but the Jews thought that the Messiah must be greater than Mouses, and to them Jesus was not. All the miracles he preformed were less than Mouses's, and he did not deliver them from the Romans like Mouses who delivered them from the pharaohs. Imagine if he told them he was God, they would have killed him instantly, and no one would have blamed them because it's a blaspheme to claim that, the sons of Israel know that and we the sons of Ishmael know that, but the gentiles did not know.
But Jesus never claimed he was god and yes, he was and is the Messiah. Only in Saul's bible Jesus is god, and that's the reason the apostles of Jesus were against the teachings of Paul.

idea

Question Everything

Different denominations have slightly different beliefs - I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and most simply put we believe that God upholds justice, while Jesus upholds mercy - In many situations it is impossible to have both justice and mercy, which is why the atonement is necessary.

Here is an example parable (although it is actually a true story) that helped it all make a little more sense to me:

"
During the Civil War, there was a 19-year-old soldier who went to sleep on guard duty. A whole section of the Union army was wiped out in that particular sector. He lost many of his very best friends, all because he fell asleep and the opposing forces were able to make a surprise attack on one flank of that particular defense effort. He survived the battle, was court-martialled, and was sentenced to be hanged for neglect of duty and going to sleep, which is routine military law.

The death sentence and order of execution were placed on the desk of President Lincoln, and he was prepared to sign it. President Lincoln was contacted by a little old woman. This little mother said to President Lincoln, "When this war started, I had a husband and five sons. First I lost my husband and then, one by one, four of my sons. I have just one son left, and he’s sentenced to die for neglect of duty. He feels just terrible about what happened. He expects to die. He thinks it is only just that he should die. President Lincoln, I was wondering if you could pardon him, not for his sake, but for my sake."

And President Lincoln said, "Little mother, for your sake, I pardon your son.
"

The point is - the demands of justice were paid through a sacrifice. The 19yo was worthy of death, but because of the sacrifices of his brothers and father he spared.

For every wrong that cannot be fixed, for every case where justice cannot be satisified (and we do everything we can to satisfy justice wherever it is possible - but sometimes it is just not possible) - for the situations where we are unable to fix things ourselves, this is where we rely on the savior. To not forgive someone isn't about them anymore - it becomes a matter of deciding to accept Jesus' atonement or not. To not forgive is to say "I don't believe the atonement did anything" . The sacrifice the Savior made satisfies the demands of both justice and mercy. We forgive one another - perhaps not because that individual deserves it - but because we respect the sacrifice that our Savior made.

According to the bible, Jacob won god in a wrestling single handed, and did not let him go even when god begged him, and did not let him go until he forced him to bless him. .
You believe that Jesus was god, Why? because this bible say's so. Do you know why the sons of Israel did not believe in Jesus and his miracles ? because he said that he was the Messiah, but the Jews thought that the Messiah must be greater than Mouses, and to them Jesus was not. All the miracles he preformed were less than Mouses's, and he did not deliver them from the Romans like Mouses who delivered them from the pharaohs. Imagine if he told them he was God, they would have killed him instantly, and no one would have blamed them because it's a blaspheme to claim that, the sons of Israel know that and we the sons of Ishmael know that, but the gentiles did not know.
But Jesus never claimed he was god and yes, he was and is the Messiah. Only in Saul's bible Jesus is god, and that's the reason the apostles of Jesus were against the teachings of Paul.

Jesus and God are two different people (JW's and Mormons agree on this one).

God's ways are not man's ways - in Christianity, the things that make someone amazing are not being rich or even splitting the red sea - the most prized possessions are love, humility, empathy... There were two sets of tablets for the 10 commandments. Moses destroyed the first set because the Jewish people were not ready for them - broken when they were worshiping a calf etc. etc. There was a higher law written on the first set of commandments...

Lower law → don't kill one another
Higher law → love your enemies

Jesus brought a very different set of laws - higher laws (read the sermon on the mount) , which were a very different nature than what some expected...
"the greatest among you is your servant" - not how the world measures things, but we believe this is the true order of heaven.

Last edited:

Kelly of the Phoenix

He calls Himself the Deific title of G-d , /'the Father'
Where did that happen? Jesus said he and the Father were one ... but ALSO said we could be too. It's like saying we're all made in God's image. It's metaphorical and spiritual, not physically literal.

Do you understand that one could not just change various laws, without authority.
How well did Jews listen to Jesus? They denied his authority....

The point is - the demands of justice were paid through a sacrifice. The 19yo was worthy of death, but because of the sacrifices of his brothers and father he was killed.
Because a couple of parents whined about a rapist not enjoying steak anymore after 20 minutes of action, a man worthy of severe punishment was practically pardoned. Meanwhile, the victim still gets to suffer.

idea

Question Everything
Because a couple of parents whined about a rapist not enjoying steak anymore after 20 minutes of action, a man worthy of severe punishment was practically pardoned. Meanwhile, the victim still gets to suffer.

Jesus suffered too - he knows everyone's pains because he felt the same pain himself. No one suffers alone.

For those who commit sin - and we have all sinned at some point in our life - repentance is needed before the atonement can be applied. Repentance involves
1. recognizing the sin (rather than justifying it)
2. feeling sincere sorrow for the sin
3. forsake the sin
4. confess to those who are involved
5. make restitution to the best of their ability → this is where the atonement comes in when full restitution is impossible.
6. forgive others as we hope to be forgiven ourselves.
7. keep the commandments in the future, and not return to the sin.

What it is all about -

a less intense video -

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

This argument is amusing, because you are using the Bible to claim that the Bible is false? Jesus is called G-d more than once in the Bible, and claims it as well. You need to argue the Bible if you are going to make these arguments, not your version of it. You are arguing your beliefs, as if they are Scriptural...they aren't. Choose one or the other to argue, your beliefs, or Scripture, but don't get them mixed up, if they don't agree with each other. You seem to want me to argue your beliefs, /which aren't Scriptural,/, in a Scriptural context..that makes absolutely no sense.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Where did that happen? Jesus said he and the Father were one ... but ALSO said we could be too. It's like saying we're all made in God's image. It's metaphorical and spiritual, not physically literal.
No, that's just your misunderstanding of the Scripture. Equating oneself to G-d, is not the same as 'made in G-d's image'. Speaking of which, if there isn't an 'image', to go by, /the hiding Deity/, then what ''image'' is that? You adhere to a Deity that either will not, , or cannot, reveal itself? Why? Why do you expect me to?

How well did Jews listen to Jesus? They denied his authority....
So? Are you practicing Judaism? Why is the fact that some Jews who couldn't understand, the Good word of the Master , Jesu.. They, and you, are wrong.
Present your evidence, present your argument.
'So and so denied Jesus's authority', is not a real argument.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

Who is 'Mouses'?

Luciferi Baphomet

Lucifer, is my Liberator
To me it does not make any sense at all. They say that jesus died for our sins but yet need to repent and ask for our sins. I don't get christianity at all.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
the bible say's that Jesus destroyed sin and canceled the laws of god, meaning he freed you from the shackles of the laws by destroying the sin.
Source please.
And I am asking for the specific Bible verse(s).

But the truth is that Jesus was never sacrificed and the laws were never abolished.
Source please.

And to be a good Christian, thou shall not kill, thou shall not lie..etc. And if you break one of these laws for any reason and afterwards you felt regrets, you repent and ask for forgiveness just like in Judaism and Islam.
Source please.

Jesus teachings were the same teachings of all the prophets of god, he changed nothing, but others did, like Saul of Tarsus.
Source please.