• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

יום ירושלים‎‎, Jerusalem Day - 28th of Iyar

Jedster

50 years since the unification of Jerusalem.
I was in the first group of volunteers to enter into the old city to help in restoration work.
We went to: הַר הַצּוֹפִים Mount Scopus and entered the old Hadassah hospital. Noone had been there since 1947. Hadassah Medical Center - Wikipedia.

Anyone else there?

Jedster

Expelling people from their homes and killing them has become an honor
what a shame

It is indeed a great shame that King Hussain did not heed the Israeli request that he not enter the war.
Otherwise history could have been different. Jordan could have given the Palestinians, (that he kept in camps) their own state and maybe today the Palestinians could have a real peace with Israel, possibly with a shared capital of Jerusalem.
As it was the King Hussain only gave up claim to the West Bank because the Arabs war against Israel was lost.

Jedster

Nooooo. All Haredi Rabbis (and many Dati Leumi) prohibit going up there. I study in Jerusalem.

Yes I know, but I was hoping you had gone anyway.
From the short time I was daati(religious) and lived in Jerusalem, I prayed every day at the Kotel and many times on the Mount(when I felt strongly in heart).
I was never stopped by Israeli police or Muslims on the site, people there was always friendly.
But there again I was never a Rabbinic Jew. Rightly or wrongly I regarded having Rabbis telling me what to do as a wall between God and me.
(Somewhat similar to 'Quaran alone' Muslims.)

Anyway, Chag Sameach :)

Tumah

Veteran Member
Yes I know, but I was hoping you had gone anyway.
From the short time I was daati(religious) and lived in Jerusalem, I prayed every day at the Kotel and many times on the Mount(when I felt strongly in heart).
I was never stopped by Israeli police or Muslims on the site, people there was always friendly.
I don't have the time to schlep out to the Kosel every day.
You can see videos of the people that go. Many of them don't look dati at all but you still here about problems. Maybe times have changed.

But there again I was never a Rabbinic Jew.
So you were a dati non-Rabbinic? I'm not sure that's a thing.

Rightly or wrongly I regarded having Rabbis telling me what to do as a wall between God and me.
(Somewhat similar to 'Quaran alone' Muslims.)
You mean Karaite.

Anyway, Chag Sameach :)
Shavuos is still a week away.

Jedster

You can see videos of the people that go. Many of them don't look dati at all but you still here about problems. Maybe times have changed.

You mean Karaite.

You mean Karaite.

You should really get out more. There are lots of Jews who were like me.
I am fairly sure that even amongst your group there are those that do their own thing. They just keep quiet about it and get with it.
In fact you are the same doing your own thing.
I lived in Meah Shearim for a while and learnt very quickly that people are not always what they appear to be. The Haredi world in the same as others in this respect.

I really think you would benefit from a TV and watch about the world.
Obviously, today is not a Chag to you. I am guessing t hat is because your Rabbis said so.
What do they say about serving tin the Israeli army?

rosends

My trouble with Yom Yerushalayim isn't trouble with the day, it is trouble with the nature of celebration. I'm not a "public celebration" kind of guy. Hallel this morning was torture for me because I'm not into the tefillah chagigit especially when the tunes are all twisted to be popular Jerusalem/Israel songs (Ana hashem to Hatikva? Puleeze). I know that tefilla is a communal act but my feelings towards Israel and Jerusalem (and Torah and Judaism) are best expressed privately and personally.

God willing, in a couple of weeks, I will have a moment to stand at the Kotel. That moment will mean more to me than people people singing and dancing and I will hope that it will recharge me until my next visit.

Jedster

@Kirran and/or any moderator
Can anyone tell why the last 2 posts between myself and @moon light have disappeared?
Have I missed something or broken some rule?

Edited to add: I notice that all moon lights posts have been deleted. I am supposing that he requested that. That is still no reason to delete my posts.
Please clarify.

Last edited:

Kirran

Premium Member
Hi Jedster - moon light's posts were deleted on account of their contravening Rule 10, relating to DIRs. moon light, as someone who doesn't identify as Jewish, is not permitted to post anything except respectful questions in the Judaism DIR. Your posts were deleted essentially as cleanup - it is generally bad form to leave posts up quoting posts which no longer exist, especially when the conversation was one which Rule 10 is aimed towards preventing. Rest assured, you have broken no rules yourself.

Hope that clarifies things!

As you were.

Jedster

Hi Jedster - moon light's posts were deleted on account of their contravening Rule 10, relating to DIRs. moon light, as someone who doesn't identify as Jewish, is not permitted to post anything except respectful questions in the Judaism DIR. Your posts were deleted essentially as cleanup - it is generally bad form to leave posts up quoting posts which no longer exist, especially when the conversation was one which Rule 10 is aimed towards preventing. Rest assured, you have broken no rules yourself.

Hope that clarifies things!

As you were.
Thanks Kirran, Rival just explained it to me.
cheers

Tumah

Veteran Member
You should really get out more. There are lots of Jews who were like me.
I just don't udnerstand what it means. Dati colloquially means belonging to Orthodox Judaism. You were dati but not rabbinical. I don't understand how you followed Orthodox Judaism but didn't follow the rabbis.

I really think you would benefit from a TV and watch about the world.
It doesn't seem like it will advance my religious devotion in a Jewish way, so there's no gain there.

Obviously, today is not a Chag to you. I am guessing t hat is because your Rabbis said so.
I think its not a holiday, because its not Pesach, Sukkos, Shavuos, Rosh HaShanah, Yom Kippur, Chanukah or Purim. Those are the Jewish holidays recorded in Jewish literature. Yom Yerushalayim is not mentioned in the Tanach or Talmud.

What do they say about serving tin the Israeli army?
They say don't. I don't blame them. There's a lot of horror stories coming out of there for Orthodox Jews.

Jedster

I just don't udnerstand what it means. Dati colloquially means belonging to Orthodox Judaism. You were dati but not rabbinical. I don't understand how you followed Orthodox Judaism but didn't follow the rabbis.

I was dati as far as I was concerned. I followed Torah as I understood it. I was 'following my heart'. I was looking to know and experience God/truth.
The Rabbinic way for me was just too dry for me and I found it a barrier between me and God/Truth.
So, as far as I was concerned, I was obeying God.

ReTV: It doesn't seem like it will advance my religious devotion in a Jewish way, so there's no gain there.
I made that comment because of your inability to understand me and others like me as explained above. It seems to me that you have little exposure to people outside your group.

I think its not a holiday, because its not Pesach, Sukkos, Shavuos, Rosh HaShanah, Yom Kippur, Chanukah or Purim. Those are the Jewish holidays recorded in Jewish literature. Yom Yerushalayim is not mentioned in the Tanach or Talmud.

Couldn't you celebrate it like Americans celebrate Thanksgiving,a secular holiday? After all lots has happened to Jews since the Talmud was written.
Why can't you form you own opinions?

Re: army service :They say don't. I don't blame them. There's a lot of horror stories coming out of there for Orthodox Jews.

Seems like you listen to gossip.( 'They say'....'a lot of horror stories').
Being in an army is difficult for anyone.
There are plenty of Haredis who do the army and are fine soldiers.
If everyone listened to your Rabbis , who would protect Israel?
Quite honestly, I find it difficult to understand how you wouldn't do army service like everyone else?
How can you let other Jews and non-Jews protect you without your participating?