• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“Christianized” mysticism

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But this subject is in the same faith section and I am speaking from the position of the faith presented in the pages of the biblical scriptures...the historic Christian faith.
And I'm not? I have not once quoted any other author outside the Christian tradition, as wide and as varied as that is, in support of the practice of meditation. In fact, I have quoted directly from the Bible in support of it upon many occasions. As have others in this debate with you in your position against this practice for Christians. Please recall, you set yourself up as a sort of Grand Inquisitor on a mission to purify the faith to "sound doctrine" here.

I am debating all of this from a Christian perspective, albeit from the far more liberal and progressive point of view. But that is still a Christian perspective, regardless of how you might wish to exclude all those with different views outside your preferred ultra-conservative version as identifying themselves with Christianity. I am not in here debating Buddhism or Hinduism against Christianity, even though unlike you I allow myself to see truth in all human faith systems. It is clear you prefer to close yourself away from anything beyond your church doors, but I do not. And you may choose to debate the merits and value of that, but that is not what this discussion is about.

I am contending for the essential truths of the scriptures which I believe the practice of mysticism turns people away from to beliefs and ideas which are false teachings according to the scriptures and which are detrimental to one’s spiritual and eternal life... a departure from the biblical faith.
I disagree with you on this. As does every other person in this thread. In fact, I don't believe any other Christian in this thread has jumped in in support of your position so far.

You have already stated that you believe one must get beyond the fundamentals of the Christian/biblical faith revealed in the scriptures and look higher because, to quote you ...
You are twisting and distorting what I said. You hear or interpret things I did not say, which itself goes to my point about how you can't then claim to be free of your own subjective mind in how you read the Bible. You just did it with me here! I did not say to "get beyond" what is revealed in scriptures. You are implying I am saying you must reject your faith. I did not, and am not saying that. All I am saying is what is "higher", is your understanding from what it was before. When I say look higher, I mean to God. God illuminates the mind through Spirit. The spiritual mind, is what is higher. And how, how in the world is that not in the Bible???

Just because you may not understand it in a lived, realized experiential way through such practices as meditation with directly puts you in communion with God on a spiritual level, do not assume this goes against the Bible. This may go against your understanding of the Bible and Christian faith, but as has been pointed out to you repeatedly in this thread, do not construe your understanding as "THE" understanding of the message of Jesus. I have a different understanding through my own personal, spiritual experiences with God and through my considerable knowledge of Biblical and Christian texts. I do not see this in conflict with that at all. And in fact, for me, it illuminates it in such a way that it deepens my respect and appreciation for them and the value they add in that goal of union with God.

”. God speaks to all of us as individuals, hoping, for us to come into a knowledge of ourselves beyond all these masks we put on in our separation from ourselves and God. It is to become who we truly are. Loved, embraced, and encouraged by God to become the flower of ourselves, free, in Spirit, in Truth in the world as that Light divine.” This sounds as new age as anything possibly could and it totally contradicts the message of the scriptures which says it is the knowledge of Christ (not ourselves) which makes us complete and free and gives us an eternal inheritance:
I am not New Age. The only thing in common with New Age I have is I believe there is truth and value in all systems of faith. With due respect to them, that's where the commonality for me ends.

As you will note, I say "Perennial Philosophy" under religion? That is not New Age. My faith lineage is Christian. I have a degree in theology, and was on that path towards entering into the Christian ministry (which I opted out of for personal reasons). I also have knowledge of and respect for other faith traditions. My perspective is able to see the same God, in various forms in all faith traditions. This is not a rejection of Christianity - even though you in some Grand Inquisitor role may make yourself judge over others this way. There are in fact many ways to embrace Christianity, even though you can't accept them yourself.

Once again, the only faith perspective you will hear me present here is that of Christian traditions. I am not quoting from Hindu scriptures or authors in support of my position. I am quoting from the Bible. I haven't even yet introduced other Christian traditional texts used by Christians that got thrown out by committees under the direction of a political edict from the Emperor of Rome, such as the so-called Gnostic writings. Even though I rightly could because they too, like it or not, are part of the Christian faith practiced by Christians (just because some committee won the political position to suppress them, does not mean they were not Christians!). But I'm restricting this to just the adopted canon of the NT alone for your sake.

If you wish to brand my, and everyone else's interpretation of the Bible in this thread as "New Age" because it doesn't square with you and your particular Christian group's thinking, what can I say? Would it be helpful if I called your reading as "lost" because it disagrees with the Christian Wisdom traditions? Christianity is bigger than your group. And that is where the problem in all of this lies for you. Everyone outside your small group is "wrong". You cannot put yourself into the shoes and see from their perspective. Hence, the inquisitor role starting topics to warn of the "danger" of meditation in Christian practice.

Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ. Phil. 3:8
Amen.

For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1:8
Again, yes.

For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Cor. 4:6
Again yes, and note is says "in our hearts". The subjective, spiritual experience illuminating mind. That is what meditation opens you to.

And so forth...

One last thing I wish to say to the practice of meditation is to not give the sole impression that it is only about direct communion with Spirit. That's more a deeper level experience (and there are many levels of it, if you read about the castles that Thersa of Avila describes, for example). But first and foremost, it is a mind discipline.

Think of it like riding a bike for exercise, or going to the gym. As you tune the body, you feel heathy. You subjectively experience a greater sense of well-being, because you are not neglecting the body, but allowing it to become balanced in a physically fit condition. Meditation takes the sloppy, noising debris buzzing around in our heads without purpose and tunes the mind's focus. The effect of this is manifold. You actually become "smarter". I felt as if my IQ shot up 15 points when I first started practicing. And the reason for that is simple actually. What intelligence is there is so distracted and clouded by unnecessary chatter, it has to fight its way through. Now instead, a disciplined mind is able to think and see more effortlessly. You become less anxious, calmer, etc.

And that is good for all things, spiritual insights included. You learn as well your emotional states, rather than simply being tossed about trying to swim in this constant flowing current, you are in effect commanding the waters to be still and "walk on water", so to speak. :) You still the mind, and then your thoughts are clear, effortless, directed, and pure.

All of this, all of it, is supported in the Bible.

There is much more I can add, but my fingers are getting tired here. Suffice to say, there is more than one valid path in Christian faith which is wide and varied. A narrow path, does not equate to a constricted one defined by one group against all others. To me, doing that, is the "wide" path. I see Christian faith as inclusive, not exclusive.

Last edited:

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
The thoughts you present in your posts validate my concerns about mysticism. Spending time in meditation, looking within, and having a mind open to the spiritual realm outside of Christ leads one to believe ideas which are opposed to the faith, truth, and good news once and for all revealed and delivered by the Creator God to the apostles and believers in Jesus Christ. Mysticism leads to false teachings and another gospel...very bad fruit indeed.

I do not see how intentionally setting one's Self aside, not listening to thoughts (Ego-driven: I, Me, Mine Mind),
and dwelling on the Word of God, through Christ is harmful and evil.

A practice of letting the thoughts and judgments roll past, not seeking justification of our thoughts.....

While that Ego-driven Self is running away on the treadmill of thoughts,
Our True-Self in Christ has a quiet place to grow by meditating upon scripture.

In this place the soil is good, the seed is good, the conditions are good for growing our Being in Christ.

Do you think the process of 'dying in Christ' happen all at once, or throughout one's life?

Open_Minded

Nothing is Separate
I believe that all infants and young children who die go directly to the Presence of God in heaven. So anyone who desires to spend eternity with Jesus Christ and is saved by Him will again see their lost child. If someone’s adult loved one does not place their faith in the Savior Jesus Christ and therefore do not end up with God forever then I think it is very sad indeed. But I see no reason to alter the truth of the gospel because doing so would not improve the situation for anyone. God has promised to wipe away all tears in the eternal state.....

My feelings concerning the story you posted and that of Windwalker is that when it comes to something as important as one’s eternal destiny...truth is more important than feelings. Love does not speak lies just to make someone feel good or give false hope. I don’t know how the person in the story or Windwalker actually spoke to their family members, whether harshly or in self-righteousness, but the truth can and needs to be spoken with an attitude of love and humility.
InChrist - after reading your response, I just simply feel sorry for you. I can not imagine a hell worse than thinking - even for one second - that my loved ones would suffer eternal torment forever, for no other reason than their belief system. It would be the most awful thing in the world, to live with these people, love them day in and day out, be the recipients of their love and yet go to bed every night with the ache in my heart that they were going to hell. You are in a hell right now, it is not one which I choose to join. You wrote about your choices here...

Actually, concerning the biblical gospel of salvation in Christ alone, I didn’t feel very good about it especially since I am also one who was condemned apart from Christ. But I came to the point of realization that the words of the Bible were personally true concerning my sinful, self-centered state. I realized that I was so often opposed to God in my thoughts and actions and was in bondage to Satan. My own efforts to be good and spiritual were not making a permanent change on the inside. I realized I did need a Savior as the scriptures say. So in spite of my feelings I chose to believe God’s assessment of human nature and my reality and trusted Jesus Christ to forgive me, save me, and give me eternal life. The feelings of lasting peace and real joy have followed as I lined my thoughts up in agreement with God’s Word.
We all make our choices InChrist ... the path you have chosen is a living nightmare, a living hell actually. I've no desire to participate and there isn't anything you are going to say or link or post here to change my choices.

We all make our choices InChrist ... there are many in this world that would write what you wrote, only they would write it as follows:

Actually, concerning the Koran, I didn’t feel very good about it especially since I am also one who was condemned apart from Allah. But I came to the point of realization that the words of the Koran were personally true concerning my sinful, self-centered state. I realized that I was so often opposed to Allah in my thoughts and actions and was in bondage to Satan. My own efforts to be good and spiritual were not making a permanent change on the inside. I realized I did need a Savior as the Koran says. So in spite of my feelings I chose to believe the Prophet’s assessment of human nature and my reality and trusted Allah to forgive me, save me, and give me eternal life. The feelings of lasting peace and real joy have followed as I lined my thoughts up in agreement with Allah's word as spoken through the prophet.
:shrug:

And because people from all religious stripes place so much power in words on paper humanity has experienced untold amounts of violence and war under the banner of religion. :shrug:

One of the points I am attempting to make in this thread related to mysticism is that human feelings, as important as they are, are not a completely reliable authority concerning truth.
And yet your "human feelings" (notice all your "I realized" ... etc.. in your explanation above) ... so yes your own "human feelings" led you to believe that the ONLY reliable authority concerning truth is the Bible.

Your "human feelings" leading you to the Bible are no less fallible than the human feelings of someone who is led to the Koran. Your logic is circular at best.

My feelings concerning the story you posted and that of Windwalker is that when it comes to something as important as one’s eternal destiny...truth is more important than feelings. Love does not speak lies just to make someone feel good or give false hope. I don’t know how the person in the story or Windwalker actually spoke to their family members, whether harshly or in self-righteousness, but the truth can and needs to be spoken with an attitude of love and humility.
Again - I just simply feel sorry for you - I can't even imagine the hell it must be to think truth is about hatred and judgment.

This thread is about what is called “Christian’ mysticism
We are in complete agreement.

Besides, changing the subject you seem to want use someone’s personal, emotionally charged story as a way to discredit the biblical teaching of salvation in Jesus Christ.
It wasn't a change of subject at all. Go back and read the story I posted, go back and read Windwalker's story. In both the author discusses the role of mysticism in their own personal spiritual growth beyond the literalist readings of the Bible they had been taught.

I do wonder though why you use “Christian” in your title when you deny the Christian message which has been passed on since the apostles that Jesus Christ is the Savior. Wouldn't just "Mysticism" be more accurate?
InChrist - you may not like this reality - but believe it or not there are a lot of Christian Contemplatives who read the very same Bible you read, who follow the Word made Flesh, and we don't need your permission (or the permission of anyone else) to self-identify as Christian. Beyond Christian Contemplatives, there are millions of Christians who read the same Bible you read and do not condemn their loved ones to hell simply for different beliefs. In fact Christians who believe the Bible is the literal word of God are in a minority. So... spare me your sanctimonious assessment of my status as a Christian.

On a personal level - I was never taught to read the Bible literally. My Father introduced me to Christian mysticism when I was in my late teens. My parents left the Catholic church when I was in my early teens, it was the best spiritual gift they ever gave us children. Because from that point forward they challenged us to be critical thinkers about all religion. They challenged us children to look carefully at the claims of religious leaders, and how well those claims lined up with virtues such as Love and Compassion, and "doing onto others". I remember my Mother singing things like... "And they'll know we are Christians by our love... by our love..." when she saw a self-proclaimed Christian treating other human beings with hatred and judgment. It was her way of reminding all of us children to look at the actions that come out of a theology in determining whether that theology had any value in "TRUTH".

I don't see mystics starting wars over "truth" - only literalists. I don't see mystics telling their beloved relatives that they are going to hell... only literalists. I don't see mystics trying to pass laws which promote hatred and judgment of other human beings only literalists. :shrug:

Last edited:

InChrist

Free4ever
But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

He who does not love does not know God, for God is love. In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 1 John 4:8-10

And the grace of our Lord was exceedingly abundant, with faith and love which are in Christ Jesus. This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief. However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen. 1 Timothy 1:14-17

During the first century after Christ’s death on the cross most of the apostles and disciples were martyred for their faith and loyalty to Jesus Christ. In the last century more Christians have died for their faith and love of Jesus than in all the past centuries combined, leaving behind Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam and other various religions and their rituals, regulations and practices. Right now, in certain parts of the world Christian brothers and sisters are being beaten, imprisoned, and killed because they refuse to compromise. These Christians know/knew the love of God personally in Christ and choose/chose to remain faithful to Jesus trusting Him alone for salvation, spiritual growth, and eternal life. What would these persecuted believers and martyrs who died or suffer for their faith in Jesus Christ think of inter-mingling faith in Jesus with the practices of Eastern religions, mysticism and the occult which is so prevalent now in the western Church and among those who call themselves Christians?

Jesus never taught his disciples techniques to experience oneness with God or to attain “Christ-consciousness”, but rather spoke of Himself personally as the Way and the Savior because His purpose was/is to save sinners from the coming judgment of God.

You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me.But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life. John 5:39-40

Then Jesus said to them again, “Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.All who ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. John 10:7-10

The Bible says the sin of rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft (1 Samuel 15:23). The testimony of the scriptures shows that God’s way of spiritual understanding and life is by seeking His Son Jesus as one's Savior, any other method, formula, practice, rituals, religion or mystical experience is rebellion against the way the Creator God has provided. According to the scriptures, not choosing to trust in the Savior and Person of Jesus Christ and His righteousness alone for salvation and spiritual growth is choosing one’s own way (SIN) and to follow Satan in rebellion.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Right now, in certain parts of the world Christian brothers and sisters are being beaten, imprisoned, and killed because they refuse to compromise.

This is true, but is it a Christianity that you agree with?

Thinking of Catholic, Eastern and Oriental Orthodox Christians here,
who large in part are where these traditions ,mentioned in this thread, come from.

What about their refusal to compromise?
Does it matter if it's not 'right' by your standard?

I only ask because these traditions (Catholic & Oriental/Eastern Orthodox) are a large portion of the Christian population being persecuted for their beliefs,
when the West says expresses their concern for "Christians who are still suffering and being martyred".

:namaste

Last edited:

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

He who does not love does not know God, for God is love. In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 1 John 4:8-10

And the grace of our Lord was exceedingly abundant, with faith and love which are in Christ Jesus. This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief. However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen. 1 Timothy 1:14-17

During the first century after Christ’s death on the cross most of the apostles and disciples were martyred for their faith and loyalty to Jesus Christ. In the last century more Christians have died for their faith and love of Jesus than in all the past centuries combined, leaving behind Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam and other various religions and their rituals, regulations and practices. Right now, in certain parts of the world Christian brothers and sisters are being beaten, imprisoned, and killed because they refuse to compromise. These Christians know/knew the love of God personally in Christ and choose/chose to remain faithful to Jesus trusting Him alone for salvation, spiritual growth, and eternal life. What would these persecuted believers and martyrs who died or suffer for their faith in Jesus Christ think of inter-mingling faith in Jesus with the practices of Eastern religions, mysticism and the occult which is so prevalent now in the western Church and among those who call themselves Christians?

Jesus never taught his disciples techniques to experience oneness with God or to attain “Christ-consciousness”, but rather spoke of Himself personally as the Way and the Savior because His purpose was/is to save sinners from the coming judgment of God.

You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me.But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life. John 5:39-40

Then Jesus said to them again, “Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.All who ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. John 10:7-10

The Bible says the sin of rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft (1 Samuel 15:23). The testimony of the scriptures shows that God’s way of spiritual understanding and life is by seeking His Son Jesus as one's Savior, any other method, formula, practice, rituals, religion or mystical experience is rebellion against the way the Creator God has provided. According to the scriptures, not choosing to trust in the Savior and Person of Jesus Christ and His righteousness alone for salvation and spiritual growth is choosing one’s own way (SIN) and to follow Satan in rebellion.
First off, what SageTree said. Almost no Christians in the West are actually being persecuted for their faith, unless you want to count a secularization of the political culture as "persecution."

Now on the other hand, InChrist, the millions upon millions of Christians that have been slaughtered and martyred by the Soviets, by militaristic regimes and Islamists have been overwhelmingly Catholics and Orthodox--Christians with a very rich mystical heritage. I don't think these martyrs would agree with the influx of mysticism from other traditions into Western Christianity (such as Buddhism, Hinduism, New Age, etc.), but they were all edified and enlightened by the native Christian mysticism which perforated their own traditions--most especially those martyrs among the monastic ranks. None of them ever used any witchcraft or sorcery or anything else like that. Rather, their spiritual practices are Christocentric, and all revolve around God. In fact, in many cases, we could say that it's the spiritual/mystical practices of these martyrs that helped them build enough strength and character to die for their faith in Christ.

Being an inquirer into Orthodox Christianity myself, and having read many stories of men and women giving up their lives for Christ, and all the acts of heroism, endurance and self-sacrifice--and the often horrible manners in which they were martyred that go along with all of that--I think I'm as qualified as anyone in this thread to tell you about the sufferings of my brothers and sisters in the Soviet Union of the past era, and in the Middle East today. And I've also seen how their spiritual practices--yes, things like hesychasm, worshipping in divine services, singing Psalms, caring for the poor, giving counsel to those who needed guidance, and practicing the virtues such as humility, patience and lovingkindness--made them lights for the world, truly shining forth the Light of Christ which was within them. They were instruments of Christ, of Him Who they so badly desired, longed for, served, loved, and believed in. And their spiritual practices are what helped them cultivate a genuine, loving relationship with Him.

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username
Meditating help us be more compassionate and aware of other people's needs.

This good fruit will be appreciated by those who not only say "Lord, Lord" but actually care about Jesus words and the will of God.

kiwimac

Brother Napalm of God's Love
Meditation has been a part of the Christian experience since the first century. We can no more divorce mystical experience from the faith than we can the Incarnation.