• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Religion or Spirituality in Daily Life

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
How do you experience your religion or spirituality in your daily life? For example, if someone who didn't know you asked you how your deity or deities manifested in your life, what would you say?

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Are you referring to missionary work or regular conversation?

I was replying to a specific question. But, in general, the situation has to be conducive for such a conversation. It happens from time to time while sitting at a bar, for example, if the topic of religion (or even the origin of the universe, etc.) comes up. And the approach depends on the person.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I have no personal deities, so I really can't answer the example question in the OP.

My religion/spirituality informs, or more accurately, validates what I am and what this world is. I suppose it could be said that my very being is how I experience it.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
How do you experience your religion or spirituality in your daily life?

There is a particular spiritual practice that I do every day. I sit down and chant the name Śiva (vocative case) with the help of a mālā of 108 beads in order to reach a daily minimum. There are benefits that I get from this practice. I feel an inner peace, I am calmer and more patient in my interactions with other people, and I feel closer to Śiva, who I believe is the ultimate reality. These benefits are experienced in my daily life.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How do you experience your religion or spirituality in your daily life? For example, if someone who didn't know you asked you how your deity or deities manifested in your life, what would you say?
I think if I get up one day not craving God above all else, and want something else, I should go to hell, because it's totally evil to want other than God and also evil to not see him when he exists both in the soul and in the clear horizon and manifestly enough although hidden as well.

ChieftheCef

I be with the Monad, nothing. I call upon them when I need it, as well as Ishtar-Inanna. I immerse myself in knowledge and try my best to understand monality. I also meditate, tune up my parasympathetic (anxiety) system, play droning music (basically what the band Sleep does) and try and tune out.

Last edited:

Yerda

Veteran Member
At some point every day (usually on the train on the way to work) I like to close my eyes and let the awareness of how preposterous is to be...anything...become my main focus for a little bit. Almost any concern is less worrisome when framed against the inescapable, transcendent absurdity of being a thing. An experiencing thing. I can't put into words how powerfully bizarre it feels...the shift from "this is all I've ever known and nothing could be more normal" to "this is profoundly, overwhelmingly absurd".

Sometimes (less often) on the way home from work, especially when I'm tired and/or deflated, I like to pick a random person and just wish them love. I know that is both corny and weird but it makes me feel great. Afterwards I can't even remember the person I was focusing on, as I whistle to myself with a wee spring in my step, while walking to my door.

That's about as spiritual as I ever get. Works for me though.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I wear a small glass pendant with a mustard seed in it. If anyone ask me for my religious beliefs, and they often do by way of asking me what church I go to as I live a rural life in the Bible-belt, I try to keep it simple by saying I have faith that my Creator wants what's best for me, so "Que Sera, Sera".

So, for my answer to what church I go to, I say I go to many different ones, depending on who has a project that I can help with. But as far as "services", none. I go directly to the top Guy as spoken in poetry by Emily Dickinson:

Screenshot_20230115_094248_Chrome.jpg

Other than that, I do my best to follow Saint Francis' advice: "The deeds you do may be the only sermon some persons will hear..." And I often say: Namaste, which can open another door of conversation.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Every day, when Sun rises.

Every day, when Night falls.

Every step, when Land is tread upon.

Every breath, when Sky is inhaled and exhaled.

Every moment, when Creativity strikes or Emotion flows.

All the time.

When one can be bothered to PAY ATTENTION.

ChieftheCef

Every day, when Sun rises.

Every day, when Night falls.

Every step, when Land is tread upon.

Every breath, when Sky is inhaled and exhaled.

Every moment, when Creativity strikes or Emotion flows.

All the time.

When one can be bothered to PAY ATTENTION.
I will!

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I take life itself very spiritually. Every big thing I experience, I relate it spiritually in some way. I think about how funny it is that I am here, experiencing these things, and more so how all of these things are here and I'm just a small part of it. Whether the universe was formed naturally or consciously, it is definitely an artistic masterpiece with a lot of meaning.

Psalm23

I often pray to be filled with the Holy Spirit. My practices include prayer and Bible reading. I first report to my Lord Jesus before reporting to anyone else. I'm not sure exactly what I would say in person if I was asked. I might say something similar to what I wrote here.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Mine is very simple.

I just incorporated Zazen in every aspect of my life and go with whatever comes of it.

I find it to be very holistic so far.