• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Baldur's Gate 3 characters

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Since it's DnD and there are so many possibilities, what is your adventure looking like ? Did you roll a saintly cleric of Tyr trying their best to be fair ? Did you indulge in the Dark Urge but trying to get better ? Did you roll a glorious barbarian or a clueless ranger ?

Tell me about your character ! I love to see the diversity and fun that can be done with this game, just like a real pen and paper campaign ahaha !

For my 3 runs, I haaaaave ....

Namelok the Tiefling bard, which is also the character I usually play in DnD with friends :laughing: A real con-artist lying and bull****ting his way through every possible situation, but the twist is that he has a way too soft heart to be a real bad guy. So he's kind of a chaotic nice guy I guess ?

Screenshot_2023-08-15_235812.png

Then of course I made a Dark urge character. Named... "The Dark urge" (I know. I know...) I'd like to make them go the route of embracing their uh... "heritage" but I have trouble making the "murderous psychopath" choices. Oh well, we'll see if I manage xD I am currently still in Act 1 with them, so a lot left to do... Am already very surprised at the story being so different when choosing this origin ! Definitely 100% recommended for a second run.

Capture.jpg

And finally ... EL NAMNAM :tearsofjoy:
I didn't bother much making anything original because it's a character I made for playing with my friends in multiplayer. I thought we would do one or two sessions and call it quit but we ARE actually running a whole playthrough together.
While we were each making our character someone in the group joked about "who's gonna make the classic edgy elf twink, sigh ?" so I made an edgy elf twink just because, let's be honest, he asked for it

gbfgbcfgbffg.jpg

So it's essentially a joke character but OH BOI did it end up hilarious tho. I have never played a guy SO UNLUCKY. I swear, it's becoming a running joke in our friend group that I somehow have the WORST dice luck with this character ever. El Namnam can't hit anything even if it's right in front of him, and if he does, it's a ridiculous amount of low damage. Enemies AI somehow seems to ALWAYS target him, even when at the other side of the battlefield. Usually resulting in Namnam getting his butt whooped in a magistral manner that nobody saw coming. It's insane.
So every time I fail in any manner in combat, I make him play the violin. I'm not joking, it's a running gag at that point and we're all laughing about it every time. It came to a point where there is some kind of unwritten law in our group that whenever Namnam plays music, he has to be stopped in any creative manner (from a gentle but firm slap from the monk guy to a whole... Explosive runepowder barrel in the face).

El Namnam also likes to not wear clothes. It started as a joke at the beginning of the game "lol look am nakeed" but ended up canon because I refused to make him put his pants back. We are now a whole group of nudists menaces to society running around to save the world. Baldur's Gate 3, 21/20 GOTY

Okay that's it for my shenanigans, show me your beautiful characters now xD

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I don't do games but need to comment on your 3rd image. It looks so very much like my brother in law i had to look twice, Differences... pointy ears, shorter hair and tattoo in the wrong place

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I haven't played Baldur's Gate 3 because I'm not interested in RPGs, although it might become my first RPG at some point due to how much praise I've seen it get.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I haven't played Baldur's Gate 3 because I'm not interested in RPGs, although it might become my first RPG at some point due to how much praise I've seen it get.
Okay... dude...

As someone with decades of experience with RPGs, BG3 is hands down the best cRPG ever made. That is not something I say lightly. I was paying attention to Larian as a developer before most gamers had a clue who they were. Divinity: Original Sin 2 was a masterpiece that was formerly the RPG I would point to (with some reservations) as the best RPG ever made. And BG3 is basically DoS2 with a longer development cycle and bigger budget. Hands down, best cRPG ever made. Nothing else even comes close. That's not to say it doesn't have it's flaws or that it's the game for everyone - it does and it isn't - but this game replicates the tabletop RPG experiences with a bunch of friends like none other. It is not to be missed by anyone who is into proper, hardcore RPGs. It is probably to be missed by the stereotypical "average gamer" who just wants to play shooty mclooty and turn off their brains, though...

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay... dude...

As someone with decades of experience with RPGs, BG3 is hands down the best cRPG ever made. That is not something I say lightly. I was paying attention to Larian as a developer before most gamers had a clue who they were. Divinity: Original Sin 2 was a masterpiece that was formerly the RPG I would point to (with some reservations) as the best RPG ever made. And BG3 is basically DoS2 with a longer development cycle and bigger budget. Hands down, best cRPG ever made. Nothing else even comes close. That's not to say it doesn't have it's flaws or that it's the game for everyone - it does and it isn't - but this game replicates the tabletop RPG experiences with a bunch of friends like none other. It is not to be missed by anyone who is into proper, hardcore RPGs. It is probably to be missed by the stereotypical "average gamer" who just wants to play shooty mclooty and turn off their brains, though...

I rarely play shooters, and I don't mind slower-paced games. I love puzzle games, for example. My main issue with RPGs is that they tend to be time sinks and also require that you read a lot of dialogue, which often takes me out of the mood and feels cumbersome to me.

I'll probably watch some tutorials to familiarize myself with the basic mechanics of Baldur's Gate 3 before deciding whether to get it.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Also, the bane of my existence with pretty much all RPGs is it takes me hours to get past character creation. This happens to me with tabletop RPGs as well as cRPGs. No surprise, as someone with deep connections to the otherworlds. I'm not gonna get into the challenges and am just gonna slap them here:

QT.PNG
There is so much that went wrong in their run that I will probably need to do theirs again. Well, not "wrong" exactly, just... there were a few things mechanically about the game I didn't understand that then got me locked out of certain things. One of the criticisms I have of the game is the romances have some serious pacing issues. If you aren't role-playing as an aggressive, horny ******* (or are role-playing as a shy, reserved character) you will just lock yourself out of all of them. Which is what happened to them. I was annoyed, but by the time I realized that's how the game worked I was 80+ hours into their run and just let out an aggravated sigh.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I rarely play shooters, and I don't mind slower-paced games. I love puzzle games, for example. My main issue with RPGs is that they tend to be time sinks and also require that you read a lot of dialogue, which often takes me out of the mood and feels cumbersome to me.
Yes, most cRPGs are very text heavy. This one is not, which is probably why it has mainstream appeal (the number of folks who hate reading always makes me a bid sad, honestly... haha). BG3 is all focused on cinematic voice acting. Yes, there are lore books and notes that will fill in more story but if you play an INT 8 character will you really be reading that much anyway? :tearsofjoy:

It's also not a "time sink" in the way some so-called "RPGs" are - those aren't proper RPGs in my mind. They're grind games, fixated on gear, level ups, and the superficial crap of RPGs and are not RPGs proper. It is a "time sink" in that the immersive story and narrative and excellent gameplay will grab your brains and not let go because it's just that amazing.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, most cRPGs are very text heavy. This one is not, which is probably why it has mainstream appeal (the number of folks who hate reading always makes me a bid sad, honestly... haha). BG3 is all focused on cinematic voice acting. Yes, there are lore books and notes that will fill in more story but if you play an INT 8 character will you really be reading that much anyway? :tearsofjoy:

It's also not a "time sink" in the way some so-called "RPGs" are - those aren't proper RPGs in my mind. They're grind games, fixated on gear, level ups, and the superficial crap of RPGs and are not RPGs proper.

Ha! I certainly don't hate reading in general. I just don't like too much of it in my games. :laughing:

I did love The Talos Principle, and it had a lot of reading too. I highly recommend it, if you're into puzzle games and games with heavily philosophical and religious themes.

Thanks for the info. I'm tempted to give BG3 a shot. I would play it alone, but as far as I know, that shouldn't affect the experience, right?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Ha! I certainly don't hate reading in general. I just don't like too much of it in my games. :laughing:

I did love The Talos Principle, and it had a lot of reading too. I highly recommend it, if you're into puzzle games and games with heavily philosophical and religious themes.

Thanks for the info. I'm tempted to give BG3 a shot. I would play it alone, but as far as I know, that shouldn't affect the experience, right?
Yeah, The Talos Principle (and its sequel) is on my "get on sale" list - it was on Games Pass for a while but I kind of slept on it when it was on there.

I would recommend BG3 as a single-player game. The game is just too dialogue/cinematic-heavy to work well as a co-op game with a possible caveat if you are doing couch co-op and gaming in the same room on the same screen together. Don't get me wrong, Larian does know how to do co-op for their games correctly on a mechanical level. All the settings you'd want are there. But first time through you'd definitely want to do it single-player then consider if you feel like the style of the game would suit co-op for you. It's the kinda game if you play with the wrong friends, they might just... not care you are in the area of effect of their fireball spell... haha. And unlike tabletop RPG sessions you don't have a GM to help diffuse player character fights and tensions... :tearsofjoy:

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Since it's DnD and there are so many possibilities, what is your adventure looking like ? Did you roll a saintly cleric of Tyr trying their best to be fair ? Did you indulge in the Dark Urge but trying to get better ? Did you roll a glorious barbarian or a clueless ranger ?

Tell me about your character ! I love to see the diversity and fun that can be done with this game, just like a real pen and paper campaign ahaha !

For my 3 runs, I haaaaave ....

Namelok the Tiefling bard, which is also the character I usually play in DnD with friends :laughing: A real con-artist lying and bull****ting his way through every possible situation, but the twist is that he has a way too soft heart to be a real bad guy. So he's kind of a chaotic nice guy I guess ?

View attachment 86779

Then of course I made a Dark urge character. Named... "The Dark urge" (I know. I know...) I'd like to make them go the route of embracing their uh... "heritage" but I have trouble making the "murderous psychopath" choices. Oh well, we'll see if I manage xD I am currently still in Act 1 with them, so a lot left to do... Am already very surprised at the story being so different when choosing this origin ! Definitely 100% recommended for a second run.

View attachment 86780

And finally ... EL NAMNAM :tearsofjoy:
I didn't bother much making anything original because it's a character I made for playing with my friends in multiplayer. I thought we would do one or two sessions and call it quit but we ARE actually running a whole playthrough together.
While we were each making our character someone in the group joked about "who's gonna make the classic edgy elf twink, sigh ?" so I made an edgy elf twink just because, let's be honest, he asked for it

View attachment 86781

So it's essentially a joke character but OH BOI did it end up hilarious tho. I have never played a guy SO UNLUCKY. I swear, it's becoming a running joke in our friend group that I somehow have the WORST dice luck with this character ever. El Namnam can't hit anything even if it's right in front of him, and if he does, it's a ridiculous amount of low damage. Enemies AI somehow seems to ALWAYS target him, even when at the other side of the battlefield. Usually resulting in Namnam getting his butt whooped in a magistral manner that nobody saw coming. It's insane.
So every time I fail in any manner in combat, I make him play the violin. I'm not joking, it's a running gag at that point and we're all laughing about it every time. It came to a point where there is some kind of unwritten law in our group that whenever Namnam plays music, he has to be stopped in any creative manner (from a gentle but firm slap from the monk guy to a whole... Explosive runepowder barrel in the face).

El Namnam also likes to not wear clothes. It started as a joke at the beginning of the game "lol look am nakeed" but ended up canon because I refused to make him put his pants back. We are now a whole group of nudists menaces to society running around to save the world. Baldur's Gate 3, 21/20 GOTY

Okay that's it for my shenanigans, show me your beautiful characters now xD
I have never bothered with customizing the appearance of my character

I don't see the point in doing so

I've given up on Balduer's Gate 3 anyway

I can't get past those blooming Death Shepherds so I can't get to Moonrise tower via the mountain pass and I keep getting killed after I go up the elevator having left Nene to die in the cave-in to get there that way

I'm stuck on BG3 so I've quit trying :(

I have started playing Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader now

Last edited:

Nyingjé Tso

I don't do games but need to comment on your 3rd image. It looks so very much like my brother in law i had to look twice, Differences... pointy ears, shorter hair and tattoo in the wrong place
xD Oh wow !
Now you can tell your brother in law that he has an elf evil twin ahah

The second image really reminds me of actress Cécile de France!
I didn't realize °^°' uncanny
... Now I won't be able to unsee it x'D

I'll probably watch some tutorials to familiarize myself with the basic mechanics of Baldur's Gate 3 before deciding whether to get it.
Fortunately there aren't a lot of dialogue to read in BG3 XD Most of it are cinematics or voice acted and they don't drag for too long either. It's not like Disco Elyseum for exemple, as good as the game is, it's filled with litteral walls of texts. It's closer to mass effect but with less long cinematics.

I have never bothered with customizing the appearance of my character

I don't see the point in doing so

I've given up on Balduer's Gate 3 anyway

I can't get by those blooming Death Shepherds so I can't get to Moonrise tower via the mountain pass and I keep getting killed after I go up the elevator having left Nene to die in the cave-in to get there that way

I'm stuck on BG3 so I've quit trying :(

I have started playing Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader now

I admit, first time I realized that saving Nere was timed (he died for me too) I took a save earlier and went straight to ... "save"... him.
But yeh, the death sheperd are a bit of a pain but didn't had too much trouble either with them (nothing some good old fashioned throwing bombs in the face couldn't solve xD). You might have been a bit under leveled probably ? Could help exploring the underdark or doing the crèche before jumping right in the shadowlands x_x

If there's a thing this game isn't friendly to, it's running the main objective straight away. Kinda like a real DnD experience tho. You could slap that big dragon at lvl2 but you'll 100% end up with the DM telling you your character got blasted to oblivion after asking you if you're sure about it

Co-op is super fun as with friends as a second or third game or just for funsies, but being a full team of players means you can't really play or take care of character developement with the NPCs in your team. Which is a shame since you'll miss a lot of things : aside from the possible romances (optional if it's not your thing) there each have great storylines and some can actually have an impact on the game/ending.
First play is better solo -nodnod-

I'm super happy to see Larian having the recognition they 100% deserves. Putting a game out there that is finished, no locked content behind DLCs and season's pass, have more than 20 hours of playtime for main story and made by people who have actual love for the world they created. It's almost a big middle finger to the infamous big ones out there trying to crap as much games and milking as many players they can with meh content. Been a BG3 player since the beta launch and compared to where it started, it turned out even more amazing than what I expected at first.

Nyingjé Tso

Also gotta say, the voice acting is one of the best I ever heard in a game :tearsofjoy:
They really gave a lot of work on that field too with the voice actors and it makes the dramatic, casual or funny scenes even more impactful

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm super happy to see Larian having the recognition they 100% deserves. Putting a game out there that is finished, no locked content behind DLCs and season's pass, have more than 20 hours of playtime for main story and made by people who have actual love for the world they created. It's almost a big middle finger to the infamous big ones out there trying to crap as much games and milking as many players they can with meh content. Been a BG3 player since the beta launch and compared to where it started, it turned out even more amazing than what I expected at first.
Yeah, anyone who was paying any attention to Larian as a studio knew they were the cRPG studio to do this. Hells, I remember playing Divinity 2: Ego Draconis and while it was a thoroughly "B" grade RPG for its era it did some unique things and had good worldbuilding and a quirky sense of humor. Then came the two Divinity: Original Sin games that thoroughly debunked myths like "turn-based is dated, there's nothing new and interesting or innovative" and "you can't do cRPGs on consoles, they're too complicated for a controller" and "pre-gen characters all suck and are boring" among other things.

Honestly, I really recommend playing Divinity: Original Sin 2 first (no need to play the first) before BG3. A ton of BG3 is derivative from DoS:II. Like, an uncanny amount of BG3 is derivative from DoS:II. Enough that I'd be mad about it if DoS:II wasn't also a spectacular game so it doesn't bother me in the least that BG3 is basically DoS:II on steroids.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
My son in law worked out how to share his steam library with me so I started playing this a couple of weeks. I enjoy it but the amount of choices is bewildering. I do appreciate the turn based combat, much better for us older folks with arthritic wrists and hands, and slower reaction times. I don't really understand the spell casting system and am probably doing it wrong. Anyway I've made to level 3 and I'll see how far I get before frustration makes me give up.

Good game but I'm glad it wasn't me who paid $89 for it.