• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yajurveda 15:13 “learn that part of the Veda which deals with the Unity of God” ONENESS Of G-d

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you ever read anything by Robert Graves? In his books The Greek Myths and the White Goddess he spends some time tracing how the deities relate to each other through the migration of populations over Europe, the Near East, and India. ...

No, I haven't. But I don't doubt or dismiss it. I'm reluctant to posit it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a cognate relationship between the sky-thunder gods Parjanya, Perun, Perkunas, Varuna, Thor/Thunraz/Donar, and even Indra by a convoluted route to the name. There clearly is between Dyaus, Zeus, Tyr/Tiwaz, Jupiter (Iovis Pater reduced to I(J)u-piter). There must be a sound shift law that someone described to account for similar sounding names for gods that perform the same functions. For this reason, I tend to think they are all the same gods seen through different linguistic and cultural lenses. It's just a matter of whom one is drawn to.

von bek

No, I haven't. But I don't doubt or dismiss it. I'm reluctant to posit it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a cognate relationship between the sky-thunder gods Parjanya, Perun, Perkunas, Varuna, Thor/Thunraz/Donar, and even Indra by a convoluted route to the name. There clearly is between Dyaus, Zeus, Tyr/Tiwaz, Jupiter (Iovis Pater reduced to I(J)u-piter).

A really interesting part in the Greek Myths by Graves is where he attempts to trace how Poseidon came to be regarded as the sea god. He argues that at one time, both Zeus and Poseidon were oak tree gods and carried the double axe as their symbol. (The double axe is seen on walls at Mycenaean ruins.) At this time, Poseidon was worshipped primarily as an earth deity, Graves claims. (Graves explains this as the reason for Poseidon being frequently associated with Demeter both in myth and at actual cult sites.) For Graves, the Indo-Aryans carried the worship of the brother gods into southern Europe, supplanting goddess shrines along the way, absorbing the goddesses into a wider Indo-Aryan pantheon. When they reached the Mediterranean Sea, they settled down and the double-axe of Poseidon morphed into the trident of fishermen while Zeus' axe became the thunderbolt, signifying his dominion over the sky and storms. Now, as a worshipper of the gods, I believe there is much more to understanding them than simply tracing the migrations of people. In other words, I believe that Poseidon has always been the god of the seas, even if some ancients also worshipped him as a fertility god. The ideas are not mutually exclusive from my viewpoint.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree fully... it's not all as cut and dry as the text books and old mythology books led us to believe, nor is all this mutually exclusive. With new archaeological and linguistic discoveries being made all the time, there's much more to it all than meets the eye. After all, the PIE peoples and tribes, and language began to split up some 6,000 years ago. That's plenty of time for things to change and be obscured.

See, I never knew about the theory of Zeus and Poseidon, the oak trees and the double axe. Of course, Zeus is associated with the oak tree, as is Thor with his hammer, and Perun with his axe. Indra has his vajra, the thundebolt.

von bek

Oak trees are commonly associated with thunder gods in Europe because they (the oaks) seem particularly prone to being struck by lightning. I don't know if the association has much currency outside of Europe. I grew up in the country, we have massive oak trees on my parent's property. I never recall any being struck by lightning (and we have a LOT of lightning in Texas); but, the sheer immensity of these oaks is definitely awe inspiring. I have no problem associating the oak with mighty Zeus!

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Oak trees are commonly associated with thunder gods in Europe because they (the oaks) seem particularly prone to being struck by lightning.

And they don't burn, they explode. How much more melodramatic can a god get than blowing up trees? :D

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Yajurveda 15:13 “learn that part of the Veda which deals with the Unity of God” ONENESS Of G-d
Further to post #2
in the thread.
CHAPTER XXXl (31) Verse 18:

18. I know this Mighty, Perfect God. who is Refulgent like the Sun

and free from ignorance.
He Only who knows Him feels not the pangs of death. For salva-
tion there is no other path save this.
https://archive.org/stream/yajurveda029670mbp/yajurveda029670mbp_djvu.txt
The inner evidence, the verses in the Yajurveda, are so clear, evident and unambiguous on "Unityof God" ONENESS of God . Do the verses still need any more context or the basis of the them anywhere else?
Only one should read and study them!?.
Right? Please
Regards

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
'Unity' in Hinduism is about the essential unity between the soul and God. It's a monistic statement, and at the deepest level of consciousness. There is none other than Brahman.

People take that concept and apply it in all kinds of circumstances that it doesn't apply. Apples and oranges are different fruits.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

God and the attributes of God are most mentioned in Yajurveda, hence, these parts of Veda must be given preference over anything else. All other concepts are of lesser importance, should be read within this primary concept and could be compressed to any length or even ignored. Right? Please
Regards

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

parts of Veda must be given preference over anything else.
Regards

There is no 'must' in Hinduism. We don't operate that way. There is freedom. This is just another projection, Paar.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
There is no 'must' in Hinduism. We don't operate that way. There is freedom. This is just another projection, Paar.
We were talking about Yajurveda not of Hinduism religions. Weren't we? Please
The thread is "Yajurveda 15:13 “learn that part of the Veda which deals with the Unity of God” ONENESS Of G-d ". Please
Regards

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
We were talking about Yajurveda not of Hinduism religions. Weren't we? The thread is "Yajurveda 15:13 “learn that part of the Veda which deals with the Unity of God” ONENESS Of G-d ".
As Jai said, YajurVeda is one book of Hinduism. I have learnt the part of Vedas which deals with the 'Unity of God' as well as the part which denies existence of Gods. Leave it to me to choose my view.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
We were talking about Yajurveda not of Hinduism religions. Weren't we? Please
The thread is "Yajurveda 15:13 “learn that part of the Veda which deals with the Unity of God” ONENESS Of G-d ". Please
Regards
Indeed we are. And I was pointing out how rigid rules aren't part of it. We're known to be quite non-dogmatic.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Every damn books in the world were written by humans, including those are termed as "scripture".

The originals, the translations, editions, handwritten or printed, long and short, "revealed" or "dharma". They are all man-made.

I believe the ten commandments qualify as God made. the written copies can be said to be man made copies.

However I believe I was not talking about who did the writing but what the source for those words was. I believe if the source is man's wisdom that it is much more likely to be fallible but the Word of God will be true. Words inspired by God are also most likely true as well.

gnostic

The Lost One
I believe the ten commandments qualify as God made. the written copies can be said to be man made copies.

However I believe I was not talking about who did the writing but what the source for those words was. I believe if the source is man's wisdom that it is much more likely to be fallible but the Word of God will be true. Words inspired by God are also most likely true as well.
And yet, you have no evidences to support this belief of yours. All you have, is the Exodus, which itself, was written by man, and it wasn't even written by Moses.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
As Jai said, YajurVeda is one book of Hinduism. I have learnt the part of Vedas which deals with the 'Unity of God' as well as the part which denies existence of Gods. Leave it to me to choose my view.
I never bound anyone to anything. I quoted from Yajurveda, anybody who believes in Yajurveda as a revealed scripture would believe it. Right? Please
Regards