• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the Confederacy should not be "honored"

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Why do people believe myths about the Confederacy? Because our textbooks and monuments are wrong. - The Washington Post

This is a great article about how, after the Civil War, the former confederates tried to change the notion of what they had been fighting for, away from slavery and white supremecy, towards family life and state's rights.

What are your thoughts about the article? If you disagree with it, please explain why specifically. And, if you say, "this is just another liberal ...", you are only making yourself look like an idiot. What are the real reasons for your disagreement?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Why do people believe myths about the Confederacy? Because our textbooks and monuments are wrong. - The Washington Post

This is a great article about how, after the Civil War, the former confederates tried to change the notion of what they had been fighting for, away from slavery and white supremecy, towards family life and state's rights.

What are your thoughts about the article? If you disagree with it, please explain why specifically. And, if you say, "this is just another liberal ...", you are only making yourself look like an idiot. What are the real reasons for your disagreement?

I wonder to the mythology of the Union. I suspect much of the history people do accept is myth.

Laika

Premium Member

I didn't realise the support for slavery was quite as explicit as that, so many thanks for putting this link up. :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have some Confederate money, but only because it relates to their economy & technology.
Honor that regime? No way....not I.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
You have a picture of a racist man who facilitated the genocide of millions of Indians through famine, how the **** can you even morally lecture others on anything?
Lol. How am I "morally lecturing"? I merely asked for everyone's thoughts. Biased much?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What specifically?

You know that Lincoln would have supported slavery if doing so would keep the union whole. In fact it was the southern states blacks were emancipated. Some northern states were exempt otherwise Lincoln was afraid they'd rebel as well.

"On Aug. 22, 1862, President Lincoln wrote a letter to Horace Greeley, abolitionist editor of the New York Tribune, that stated: “If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves, I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone, I would also do that. What I do about slavery and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union.”

leibowde84

Veteran Member
You know that Lincoln would have supported slavery if doing so would keep the union whole. In fact it was the southern states blacks were emancipated. Some northern states were exempt otherwise Lincoln was afraid they'd rebel as well.

"On Aug. 22, 1862, President Lincoln wrote a letter to Horace Greeley, abolitionist editor of the New York Tribune, that stated: “If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves, I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone, I would also do that. What I do about slavery and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union.”
I Knew about this. I learned about it in high school. What's your point? It doesn't mean that the south wasn't fighting to preserve their economy which relied heavily on slave labor.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I Knew about this. I learned about it in high school. What's your point? It doesn't mean that the south wasn't fighting to preserve their economy which relied heavily on slave labor.

So why support the American flag when northern states were allowed to continue to rely heavily on slave labor? Or should people who display it be ashamed as well of everything that's been done under it's banner?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
So why support the American flag when northern states were allowed to continue to rely heavily on slave labor? Or should people who display it be ashamed as well of everything that's been done under it's banner?
Lincoln ended slavery with the Emancipation Proclamation. So this is not accurate.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
The Union ended slavery, so it's easier to forgive them. Don't you agree? Everyone was racist back then though.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

This is a great article about how, after the Civil War, the former confederates tried to change the notion of what they had been fighting for, away from slavery and white supremacy, towards family life and state's rights.

I have already discussed in part the issues already. If you cannot fathom how someone may want to honor their cultural and possibly biological heritage that is deeply rooted in the south and also at the same time find it inescapably absurd to resist passing off every bit under inaccurate demonetization then you simply will not get it.

Let me ask you this, although I doubt it will be fruitful, if you had a racist parent, but otherwise was a great parent to you, loved you, gave everything they had and more for you, yet they were racist, would you spit in their face and tell your children that they were demons? Obviously tell them that this views on race are wrong but totally discount and disown the person because of it?

This is all a bit extreme in terms of how it is worded but such is needed to allow you a glimpse into a mindset very counter to your own.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I have already discussed in part the issues already. If you cannot fathom how someone may want to honor their cultural and possibly biological heritage that is deeply rooted in the south and also at the same time find it inescapably absurd to resist passing off every bit under inaccurate demonetization then you simply will not get it.

Let me ask you this, although I doubt it will be fruitful, if you had a racist parent, but otherwise was a great parent to you, loved you, gave everything they had and more for you, yet they were racist, would you spit in their face and tell your children that they were demons? Obviously tell them that this views on race are wrong but totally discount and disown the person because of it?

This is all a bit extreme in terms of how it is worded but such is needed to allow you a glimpse into a mindset very counter to your own.
I fail to see the relevance. How is not honoring the Confederacy the same as not honoring departed ancestors? I understand that most of those who fought in the Confederate Army did not have anything to do with slavery, as most of them were not nearly wealthy enough to own slaves. But, I fail to see how that is sufficient reasoning to honor the Confederacy.