• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is your Deity better and why are you sure you are right?

Nefelie

Religious people tent to argue amongst them about “who has The Truth”.
Christians vs Muslims vs Jewish vs Pagans vs Polytheists and so on.

Many times they also argue within the same religion, which is even weirder.

So, my questions go out to all religious people and are very simple:

1 - Why is your Deity better than the Others?

and

2 - What makes you so sure that you got it right and the others do not?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I hope you get specific responses instead of "I am the exclusion". Here is mine.

God is life. He can't be separate if he is the creator. He is creation, the creator, creating, and created. He (for lack of better pronoun) is the energy that drives life itself form from one thing into another. All other gods in Abrahamic separate themselves from creation. So, it is like they are saying their god is not a part of life or reality. They separate by saying god created reality or life when god is a part of reality. Nothing is separate. Everything is reality that is why there is no "god" and no supernatural. Nothing is outside reality/life/god. I am a pantheist. That's my view.

Experience. My existence. Observation.

Why others are wrong?

I don't feel they are wrong, I just see they (many since not everyone things of god in terms of separation) may not use the terms I use to define life as god. It balls down to terminology and context. I feel even Abrahamics see god as how I see it. We just use different methods, proofs, support, and logic to define how we see god and his, her, its, etc relationship with us.

I just like my terminology. I don't care for the word god because its a pronoun describing an entity, person, being, or thing of worship. If I pray, I just pray. If I worship, I just worship. If I do a ritual, that's what I do, ritual. Everything I do and say is within life itself not to and not for. I create a relationship with my ancestors not worship them and not humble myself before them.

Anything that makes life imbalance causes problems. That's why its wrong.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.

Because mine is not claimed by any particular religion, culture or geographic location. Mine does not have a bunch of man made fluff surrounding It. Mine does not have obvious biases written into the texts that talks about It. Wars are not fought in the name of mine.

Because I am intelligent and think for myself. The conclusion that I arrived at is the most logical one.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس

My deity is better than everyone else's deity because It is the only guiding light that makes sense to me, the only divinity that reveals itself to me and the only truth I know

But others have . . . just not the majority. Otherwise I am sure I got it right because no other deity makes sense to me, no other deity reveals itself as my Truth, only my deity fits me perfect like a divine glove!

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

We do? Hmm. Must have missed the memo.

In my experience, Pagans/polytheists don't argue about who has "The Truth" as this is a non-concept in Pagan/polytheistic religions. Really we missed the memo.

What's weird about that?

Huh? I don't recall ever saying such a thing.

I'm sure of what now? I don't recall ever making such a claim.

I think you mean to limit this discussion to religious exclusivists, not "religious people?" :sweat:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
1. Yes, my deity is better for me. But for others, its up to them.
2. It makes the most sense to me. But obviously something else makes more sense for others. That's fine.

BTW, I suppose I'm quite religious, but argument? nah. I don't see much point to it ... a waste of valuable time really.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Because all the explanations globally, only go to clarify the One God that is being discussed.
Because having had a NDE, God speak to me directly at different times, fulfilling prophecy; I'm not speaking from second hand experience, and can clarify most religious texts. :innocent:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Because having had a NDE, God speak to me directly at different times, fulfilling prophecy; I'm not speaking from second hand experience, and can clarify most religious texts. :innocent:
Why would you consider a brain stressed to the point of death, deprived of what it needs to function properly, to be reliable?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Why would you consider a brain stressed to the point of death, deprived of what it needs to function properly, to be reliable?
lol, i wasn't in my body, so there wasn't a brain processing the information....

Plus the knowledge that was made available to me during the experience, wasn't known by me; i only learned about some of the things later from science, and some of the things are yet to be understood by mankind.

Then on corroborating the evidence with numerous other experiences, can see it matches a clear journey that many of us have taken; so much so anesthetists are writing books on it, as they get so many matching testimonies.

Then on comparing what all religious texts say globally, can see a matching understanding of what God is across the board.

So to ignore so much evidence in my case, would be stupid; fair enough if you've not had an experience like it, i wouldn't expect you to believe any of it. :innocent:

Kelly of the Phoenix

and

My deity is the divine reality that communicates with me. I accept that this entity or entities may look different to others and many might not sense it at all. I expect my God to be morally superior than humans, but I feel most would gladly kiss butt than tell God to follow through on His own demands.

I believe I've hit a positive plateau in the sense that I "judge the tree by its fruit". I will not always be right. I believe that sufficient contrary evidence is probably likely and is not a moral judgement on my person. If a Christian and a Satanist are arguing (or whichever groups you desire), I go with the one telling the facts or at least are telling facts as is currently known. I worship "Truth" and sometimes that means even someone like God has some 'splainin' to do ...

Raahim

مكتوب

My God is not better than others because there are no other except Him. You might call your deity with different name(s) and apply different attributes, some are correct and some are not and some we simply can't know. I'm speaking about describing God, not other concepts like destiny, reincarnation, etc. :D

Can this question be answered with different answer than "Because I believe so, here's the proof: [Insert Holy book's title]."? :confused:
I am 100% sure I'm right that there is only one God, I don't bother much with His description because I believe we can't know His nature so anyone saying he or she believes in one god got it right in my opinion.:D

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

and

I wanna play, even though this really applies more for the religious. I'm kinda just that needy kid that doesn't want to be left out, I guess. ;)

1) Not better. I'd see my (lack of) Deity as a neutral position. Neither beneficial nor harmful. I see some Deities people believe in as quite harmful though, so lack of Deity seems relatively beneficial in those circumstances.

2) Nothing much. There are plenty of people I'm sure are wrong due to inconsistencies in their beliefs, and a disconnect between stated belief and demonstrable action which leads me to suspect they themselves don't even really believe. But I'm not sure I'm right.

Nefelie

I love it how everyone is so civil and polite in answering these questions… So far, at least :D

So, here is my next question:

Some of you answered (or are thinking) that “your deity/religion is defiantly the only correct one”. If so, how do you explain the existence of other religions and their large group of believers? Doesn’t your deity care enough to “help them realize the truth” also?

~~~

I wanna play, even though this really applies more for the religious. I'm kinda just that needy kid that doesn't want to be left out, I guess.

That’s OK, I have a couple of questions for the non-religious too :D

2) Nothing much. There are plenty of people I'm sure are wrong due to inconsistencies in their beliefs

“Inconsistencies” according to your way of thinking and logic. But what if your way is the wrong way? What makes you think it is the right way?

and a disconnect between stated belief and demonstrable action which leads me to suspect they themselves don't even really believe.

There is a disconnect between stated belief and demonstrable action in many many things. And not necessarily religious.
For example, many people know for sure that their dietary habits are not good for them. And they are correct! But the lack the inner strength or willingness or time or [whatever] to fix that.
Does that mean that they don’t really believe in healthy diets? Or that they are wrong about healthy diets?

But I'm not sure I'm right.

Good for you! ;)

But, for the sake of the thread and the argument, let’s assume that you are sure that you are right, OK? …Or else it’s no fun! :D

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
“Inconsistencies” according to your way of thinking and logic. But what if your way is the wrong way? What makes you think it is the right way?

Naturally, according to my way of thinking. All things are subjective.
But I'm not talking about all religious folk, by any means, and this is not limited to religion.

I need to make judgement calls (as do many, I'm sure) on people at times. Some people talk a good game, but it's the combination of what they say and what action this drives which allows me to judge whether stated belief rings true.
As a simple, non-religious example, I can point to someone in real-life who claims to always put his kids first, but who has a drug habit (costly) and whose son sleeps in a toddler bed he has outgrown due to a lack of money. Stated belief doesn't match with action. Excuses and reasons can be provided of course (eg. his addiction is too powerful to overcome through mere will power) but I'm not really talking about blame here, just accuracy. In simple terms, his drugs come first.

There is a disconnect between stated belief and demonstrable action in many many things. And not necessarily religious.
For example, many people know for sure that their dietary habits are not good for them. And they are correct! But the lack the inner strength or willingness or time or [whatever] to fix that.
Does that mean that they don’t really believe in healthy diets? Or that they are wrong about healthy diets?

If they say 'Healthy diets are better than unhealthy ones' then I have no issue with it. If they claim to follow a healthy diet, but don't, even if that is due to no fault of their own, then it's telling, in my opinion.
In religious terms, this applies more around fundamental beliefs. Where a group is eager to judge others as inferior, but shows no apparent sign of superiority despite claiming it.
It's by no means a universal trait amongst the religious, and it's by no means exclusive to the reliigous.

Good for you! ;)

But, for the sake of the thread and the argument, let’s assume that you are sure that you are right, OK? …Or else it’s no fun! :D

Telling an atheist to assume they are right is kinda like telling the sea to be wet, isn't it??

;)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
lol, i wasn't in my body, so there wasn't a brain processing the information....
By the time you were in a position to recall the event, you were using your brain to recall it.

Interesting approach, though: to defend your interpretation of your NDE, you assert without justification brainless minds.

Plus the knowledge that was made available to me during the experience, wasn't known by me; i only learned about some of the things later from science, and some of the things are yet to be understood by mankind.

Then on corroborating the evidence with numerous other experiences, can see it matches a clear journey that many of us have taken; so much so anesthetists are writing books on it, as they get so many matching testimonies.

Then on comparing what all religious texts say globally, can see a matching understanding of what God is across the board.

So to ignore so much evidence in my case, would be stupid; fair enough if you've not had an experience like it, i wouldn't expect you to believe any of it. :innocent:
What evidence? Please be specific?

Personally, I would expect brains with similar physiology to react to oxygen deprivation in similar ways, so if your experience does match those of other people, this wouldn't be a strike against a naturalistic explanation.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

I am a monotheist and, therefore, believe there is only one diety. We all worship the same, albeit in different ways and with different understanding.

See #1.

Nefelie

Naturally, according to my way of thinking. All things are subjective.

Exactly :)

In religious terms, this applies more around fundamental beliefs. Where a group is eager to judge others as inferior, but shows no apparent sign of superiority despite claiming it.

I think I’ll need an example for this. I don’t really get it…:oops:

Telling an atheist to assume they are right is kinda like telling the sea to be wet, isn't it?? ;)

Hahaha! I think Atheists have a more serious god complex than us Pantheists! :p