• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why go to the Mandir?

Onkara

Why do people (theistic hindus) go to the Mandir (temple) in your opinion?

Why do you personally go (if you do)?

If you had no financial or geographical limitations would you go and why (or why not)?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I can only speak for myself, but I feel that being around people with similar beliefs can be inspirational as is performing religious rituals in the temple setting.
I don't think that being a member of a religious community is necessary or even the best for everyone, but I personally love being around and making friends with people who share my religious passion.

Onkara

Thanks Madhuri, that is a positive reply :)

Re-reading my post the questions are perhaps a bit simple at first look, but it occurred to me that perhaps others have opinions or experiences different to me :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I would like to go to mandir, but I can't take the first step to go alone, having social anxiety, and preferring to be alone in a crowd (malls are OK for that reason). I would come off as anti-social. I would love to see the services. Unfortunately I don't have anyone to hold my hand, i.e. a Hindu I would attend with. A co-worker is Hindu, but non-practicing, and doesn't live anywhere near me.

A brahmachari at my ISKCON temple said that one can be a devotee outside the temple as well... there is no restrictions on practicing devotional life.

However, having good association of like-minded people is always a good thing, and if the community is supportive of your endeavours and your personality and other such personal traits, then it can be a positive and healthy experience. But if one can not fit that kind of atmosphere, there is nothing wrong with practicing spiritual life at home as well.

Even then, attending temple is so absolutely beautiful, because you are able to have darshana of the Deities of that particular temple, be an attendant of the puja/arati, and sing devotional songs (bhajans) with the community.

Even coming once in a while, like for Diwali, is also beneficial, if not regularly.

Plus, you get a decent meal as well, lol.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I think you know me well enough by this point Onkara to understand why and how I am answering.

I'm not sure that Hindu/Theist or Atheist is where I'd align myself in this answer specifically... but I like I said... we've talked enough that I know you know me and what I'm saying...

When I go to Anglican Mass twice a week I go to experience God with a community as well as share in it's social out reach.

A Mandir or Buddhist Temple is too far from my home to make it a solid commitment as may 'base'.

The Church is 3 mins away.

So the 'Why do I go?' question has arisen needless to say.

It's special intentional time of devotion for me.

Another story of community, I used to sit with a Theravada group in Northern BC where there isn't much choice.
What I got from attending regular meditation/teachings with them I felt my practice's depth and magnitude invigorated.

Why do Theists attend to a community? That could be as individual and unique as the stars in the sky even though people are being taught the 'same' thing.

Personally? Connectedness, simply stated.

Would I? I do for sure, even though it's 'outside' the box....

I will and have attended many other places of worship when in different countries, towns and cultures.

When there is a need and building or group close by, I do my best to be there why I know I am there and to mingle that essence with the community I am in as needed and in the best way that I can to be respectful, being some what of an outsider, but with the full intention to find similar Love and Intention.

Hope it's okay to chime in on this one, it's not exactly what you wanted... but I felt I could still add something.

Respectfully
:namaste
SageTree

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
Even though I don't believe in it anymore, I definitely enjoy the atmosphere. The smell of incense and camphor, the beautiful architecture and colorful statues, and of course, the food. The Pittsburgh temple has the best pickle ever, omg I can't even describe it.

I really enjoy the days when they bring out a deity in procession on hand pulled chariot. They play really loud, joyous music, and occasionally have classical dancers performing in front of the deity. It's all very festive.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
dear onkara ,

I might first like to ask what made you think to ask this question ?
but as it is such a nice question , I will answer to the best of my ability !

Why do people (theistic hindus) go to the Mandir (temple) in your opinion ?

this reason is given in the bhagavad gita , (allthough krsna is talking about ataining knowledge of the supreme)

Ch ...7 V ...16 Oh best of bharatas , four kinds of pious men begin to render devotional service unto me , the distressed , the desirer of wealth , the inquisitive , and he who is searching for knowledge of the absolute .

an (as you say theistic hindu) is most probably a hindu who has firm faith in the lord (which ever tradition he, she belongs to ) , however there are differing strengths of faith , on the first and most common level , people attend from a sence of cultural obligation , prehaps at first this is through family tradition , but outside of that , and particularly in the west people might attend out of a sence of cultural curiosity ,

once one has some experience of the temple and the temple comunity one might attend for very similar reasons to those given above , translate that into the context we are talking about and those reasons become firstly , A sence of comunity within which one may seek comfort when distreassed or in need of freindship , where by one may turn to the comunity or privately to the lord ,... secondly , many come to the temple to receive blessings , to ask for security within their material lives , (some according to their levels of realisation ask for wealth in the material sence , others ask for the blessing of wisdom as their wealth) .... the third reason , curiosity , wanting to ask , wanting to experience , wanting to deepen their understanding , wanting to test their faith .... The fourth and prehaps deepest reason is to submit to the lord , to surrender , to give service , to build a relationship with the lord , to truely know and absorb oneself in the absolute , to rejoice , to give praise , and to share that joy with others of like mind .

In my life time I have been for all of the above reasons , for the companionship of god brothers and sisters , for blessings , to find out , to take teachings , to gain understanding , and finaly to give thanks , to rejoice , to praise , to serve the lord and to serve others .

If you had no financial or geographical limitations would you go and why (or why not)?
no financial or geographical limitations ?

wow , I could have a devotional party with that one :D

I think I would be spending my entire life deeply engrosed in some form of devotional service , prehaps yes I would love to visit many different temples , and take the darshan of many different deity forms , have the association of many god brothers and sisters , but ultimately I would love to stay in one place and devote myself to the service of the deitys I now serve , in that case I should create A mandir here so that others may come to share , to learn , to worship , to praise and to absorb them selves
in the absolute , the supreme lord , or simply just realise being :)

thank you for your question .....namaskars :namaste ......ratikala

hmmm , thinks me , a very non sectarian mandir , suitable simply for ataining knowledge of god , by which ever name one may understand the absolute .

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Onkara,

All places of worship were created to create an *energy field* which gets created when many meditate at one place the vibration of the place is such that one's mind gets sucked IN to be in tune and free of the mind's own thoughts and approaching no-thoughts becomes easier.
Normally never visit temples unless am in company where we are visiting such a place.
The most effective place of such vibrations was felt at Vivekananda Rock Memorial at Kanyakumari, India; so far.

Love & rgds

chinu

chinu
Because in the true sence -- they are atheistic peoples.
I respect mandir's, but i go there to get past religious knowledge, or just go like outings.
Yes i'll go, and why i'll go -- i think i have answered this above. :)

_/\_
Chinu

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

There are many reasons; to eat, to be with like minded people, to find comfort, as a habit not yet tossed, and more .... none of these apply to me... I go to receive dardhan (sight) of God. Period. There is no other reason. it is God's house. Why do people visit royalty, or go to the sea?

My second favorite temple on this planet is Palani Hills in Tamil Nadu, India. You?