• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why doesn't God save starving children

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I'll leave it as simple as that. I do plan on debating points to though.

This is a general question, for anyone who believes in god(s) of some sort.

As for me, God is everything. All of causality, programmed in his nature. He is simply Being, and he is entirety, everything in existence is his will, even our wills. His mind I never will understand until I have accomplshed oneness with the true reality. But I'm not one to think my God is all good or is concerned for the well being of individual parts of himself, because parts are an illusion. His actions are portrayed through all that happens. I suppose my God is by default neutral. This might not be an attractive view of God, and t doesn't need to be. Reality is sometimes unattractive. His will is and always will be fulfilled, all is his will. And after disillusionment, I will find that my true self, all of us, are God. The illusions of individuality and separateness is what causes suffering itself. Sorry if that sounds ugly for me to believe God isn't concerned with lesser parts of himself, he can only be himself for all is himself.

I'm interested in hearing your takes :)

lostwanderingsoul

God gave man something called "free will". He does not force you to do anything. if people are willing to let children starve, God will not interfere. When Jesus returns to earth people will learn the proper way to live and act. then people will not allow children to starve.

Awoon

God gave man something called "free will". He does not force you to do anything. if people are willing to let children starve, God will not interfere. When Jesus returns to earth people will learn the proper way to live and act. then people will not allow children to starve.

Jesus already left teachings to be followed by Christians. He doesn't need to return.

Antics34

As for me, God is everything. All of causality, programmed in his nature. He is simply Being, and he is entirety, everything in existence is his will, even our wills. His mind I never will understand until I have accomplshed oneness with the true reality. But I'm not one to think my God is all good or is concerned for the well being of individual parts of himself, because parts are an illusion. His actions are portrayed through all that happens. I suppose my God is by default neutral. This might not be an attractive view of God, and t doesn't need to be. Reality is sometimes unattractive. His will is and always will be fulfilled, all is his will. And after disillusionment, I will find that my true self, all of us, are God. The illusions of individuality and separateness is what causes suffering itself. Sorry if that sounds ugly for me to believe God isn't concerned with lesser parts of himself, he can only be himself for all is himself.

The way I conceptualize it is that we spend eternity in Heaven; the vast majority of our existence is in Heaven. In a billion years from now when the children who starved and died have lived in Heaven for such a long time will they genuinely care about the eighty years or less they spent in this place? I think it will be a long forgotten memory of a horrible place. Of course, I have some unconventional view for a Catholic mainly God didn't create this place; He just gives a way out to a better place. As way of proof John 3:13 "No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven--the Son of Man."

lostwanderingsoul

the Bible does not say people go to Heaven. please give one verse that uses the word "heaven" and says anyone has gone there or will go there

Etritonakin

Paradise is not the same word as heaven -and the other person on the cross is still dead. When he is resurrected, he will not have known the passage of time -to him it will be the next instant after he died.
Christ did not ascend that day. Christ will soon rule the earth -which will then be made a paradise.
Joh_6:39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

1Th 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

God will save all -will wipe away all tears -but he has allowed all mankind to learn very harsh lessons in this temporary existence....
The following indicates God is very aware of these sorts of situations -but has allowed them for a purpose -and even causes some to happen in specific ways.
It is difficult for many to reckon these things with the idea of a loving God, but the end result will be worthwhile -and the former things will eventually not be remembered.
It is important to note that it was not his intent to make us all comfortable while human, but to create gods -the children of God -and it requires great stresses and forces.....

Deu 28:47 Because thou servedst not the LORD thy God with joyfulness, and with gladness of heart, for the abundance of all things;
Deu 28:48 Therefore shalt thou serve thine enemies which the LORD shall send against thee, in hunger, and in thirst, and in nakedness, and in want of all things: and he shall put a yoke of iron upon thy neck, until he have destroyed thee.
Deu 28:49 The LORD shall bring a nation against thee from far, from the end of the earth, as swift as the eagle flieth; a nation whose tongue thou shalt not understand;
Deu 28:50 A nation of fierce countenance, which shall not regard the person of the old, nor shew favour to the young:
Deu 28:51 And he shall eat the fruit of thy cattle, and the fruit of thy land, until thou be destroyed: which also shall not leave thee either corn, wine, or oil, or the increase of thy kine, or flocks of thy sheep, until he have destroyed thee.
Deu 28:52 And he shall besiege thee in all thy gates, until thy high and fenced walls come down, wherein thou trustedst, throughout all thy land: and he shall besiege thee in all thy gates throughout all thy land, which the LORD thy God hath given thee.
Deu 28:53 And thou shalt eat the fruit of thine own body, the flesh of thy sons and of thy daughters, which the LORD thy God hath given thee, in the siege, and in the straitness, wherewith thine enemies shall distress thee:
Deu 28:54 So that the man that is tender among you, and very delicate, his eye shall be evil toward his brother, and toward the wife of his bosom, and toward the remnant of his children which he shall leave:
Deu 28:55 So that he will not give to any of them of the flesh of his children whom he shall eat: because he hath nothing left him in the siege, and in the straitness, wherewith thine enemies shall distress thee in all thy gates.
Deu 28:56 The tender and delicate woman among you, which would not adventure to set the sole of her foot upon the ground for delicateness and tenderness, her eye shall be evil toward the husband of her bosom, and toward her son, and toward her daughter,
Deu 28:57 And toward her young one that cometh out from between her feet, and toward her children which she shall bear: for she shall eat them for want of all things secretly in the siege and straitness, wherewith thine enemy shall distress thee in thy gates.

Baladas

An Págánach

As you know, we are fairly in agreement here, though I do not typically use the word "god" out of personal preference.
I would say that "God" doesn't save all of the starving children because "he" can't. "God" IS the starving children, as well as those who save them, as well as those who let them suffer.
Similarly, we are our brains, our kidneys and every cell. Are we able to be aware of (let alone exercise control over) every cell?

Antics34

Blah I'm on my cell phone right now. So that is why all the fundies want the end of the world and revere Revelations? Wonderful. Well, my religion and the majority of Christian religions teach Heaven. Unlike the previous poster mentioned there is reference to Heaven a few places in the New Testament. What denomination is everyone?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Why doesn't God save starving children

Some thoughts; Where in the universe do we see God predictably interfering with the natural world? Such a thing would fundamentally change the universe. Would our strive be the same if God fed our children by miracles?

Secondly, In a world producing enough food why do we let children go hungry?

Thirdly, God is the experiencer of all; including hungry children. In the cosmic timeframe, any suffering is only of short duration.

Sultan Of Swing

It goes back to us thinking ourselves God. It goes back to our original rebellion, in which we sought to be God ourselves and thought we could rule our own lives better than He ever could.

As such, the world fell, and humanity has ruled the earth and it has been pretty terrible. Of course God does intervene from time to time, most importantly in actually providing a way out and saving His own enemies by dying on the cross to pay the penalty of their sins.

Otherwise, much of the poverty, famine and wars in this world are down to the fallenness of mankind and creation. This is not God's ideal world. We told God "We want to be God, we are Gods, we can do it our way, we love our own pleasures and passions." God said "Fine." And this is the consequence, this is the world governed by humans. The only people we have to blame is ourselves.

In this world governed by humans, we don't share resources and cause poverty ourselves. We fight with each other often over petty things. We destroy and steal. We lie and cheat. Sure there are some glimmers of kindness, but there are also overwhelming moments of horror.

God does intervene, but overall we have chosen a godless world, and are reaping the benefits of it.

There is hope though, of course. For despite our constant rebellion, God will save His people and one day will glorify this world into an everlasting and joyful abode, for those who submit to His rule and learn from all this poverty and war that life without God is no life at all.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I think The Father is waiting for us to feed them. There is plenty of food to feed everyone on the planet, we have to ask ourselves why, in this day and age, no one is giving it to those who need it. Why are governments allowing their own people to go hungry?

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity

Because he doesn't exist.