• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which evolved first, consciousness or senses

The evolution of consciousness and senses

• Total voters

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Senses without consciousness has no value, similarly consciousness without senses has no value.

How senses and consciousness evolved simultaneously, was it due to plan or just happened by chance?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
The whole reality is made from consciousness vibrating at different speeds.

Therefore consciousness existed since before time, in pure infinity...

We're led to believe that senses are a series of signals passed around the body...

Yet what makes me question, is that in my NDE, i felt the waves of energy from God, thus had senses, so from where do we sense things.....
buddha-smiley-ebay.jpg

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Senses without consciousness has no value, similarly consciousness without senses has no value.

How senses and consciousness evolved simultaneously, was it due to plan or just happened by chance?
Senses have great survival value to critters lacking consciousness.
So senses came first.
Btw, I couldn't vote in your poll because my option didn't exist.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I, too didn't vote on the poll because it doesn't seem to be representitive.
Anything which has chemical receptors has a kind of sense. But not all organisms have even the most rudimentary nervous system. So unless you mean something different by 'consciousness,' then sensory capabilities evolved long before and independently from consciousness.

idav

Being
Premium Member

Senses work without any need for full blown consciousness. For example our bodies can react without consciousness being involved. The brain works in a way that all the individual senses are combined to one single point of awareness.

Memory is a big part of consciousness which gives rise to going beyond a reactionary organism.

Who we are really depends on what we remember and without memory, sense awareness would simply be reactionary.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Senses work without any need for full blown consciousness. For example our bodies can react without consciousness being involved. The brain works in a way that all the individual senses are combined to one single point of awareness.

Memory is a big part of consciousness which gives rise to going beyond a reactionary organism.

Who we are really depends on what we remember and without memory, sense awareness would simply be reactionary.

At what point do you think consciousness evolved and what makes an organism conscious and react accordingly?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

Liu

Depends on what one means by consciousness. I don't see how awareness per se could evolve from matter, so I assume it to have always existed. But one coherent consciousness combined with senses and mind, that is something that seems to be possible only due to matter being combined in a certain way and bringing the information from millions of cells together via a neural system, thereby forming a mind.
So if by consciousness self-awareness is meant, for that a mind is needed, and for that probably a body with sensual input is needed.

This also is one reason why I'm quite skeptical regarding the existence of spirits - how could there be a being having perceptions and a mind without a body to cause them?

Regarding the poll I'd rather tend to "I believe it was just kind of coincidence." but of course I don't know so I may as well vote that.

Liu

Awareness but no consciousness? Don't you need consciousness to have awareness? What's the difference between the two?
Since I alluded to this in my former post I'll reply to this question:

It's a bit difficult to describe, but I'd say awareness is this something which is one Self, the something which perceives everything - thoughts, feelings - and is but a silent watcher, only influencing by its mere presence.

(Self-)Consciousness, on the other hand, is the mind having figured out that it exists (in the sense of "I think, therefore I am") as a result of a thinking process. It is only shared by a certain number of species while awareness ('pure consciousness') might be even assumed to be present in an atom.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

What is your definition of consciousness? Can a single celled organism be conscious?

A single celled organism can have the ability to detect light, or heat and react to that stimulus. Is that consciousness or an autonomic response?

I say that senses developed first. Senses that triggered an unconscious response that gave the organism a survival advantage were selected for. Senses evolved and became more subtle and complex. Consciousness evolved to better deal with the sense information. But you can see how this depends on your definition of consciousness.

(btw, you ask a question, but neither answer (senses came first or consciousness came first) is an option on your poll. What is up with that?)

atanu

Premium Member

In Vedanta, the philosophical part of Hinduism, the Consciousness and mind-senses are considered immortal and unborn, and intrinsic aspect of existence.

atanu

Premium Member
Awareness but no consciousness? Don't you need consciousness to have awareness? What's the difference between the two?

It is a matter of definition really.

Very few, except the Vedantists are open to the understanding that deep sleep state is dense-unbroken consciousness. Most talk about potential energy but they cannot come to terms with deep sleep being 'Dense Un-partitioned Consciousness', which is the precursor to Consciousnesses characterised by subject-object division in dream and in waking states.

idav

Being
Premium Member
They are terms I like to use but your probably right. What I mean by awareness is simple awareness without the memory or being in the now. We have the ability to react to stimuli and not be conscious of it, many animals would be in a state of non-consciousness even if they seem aware. Cause I don't figure most animals can fathom what "now" entails. So I feel there is a conscious and non-conscious types of awareness.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
To sense something is to interact with the environment. To be conscious is to interact with oneself. Either way, both are forms of interaction, one being more complex or advanced than the other. Consciousness is the most highly evolved form of interaction.

Last edited: