• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did Mohamad get his revelations?

arthra

Baha'i
How did Prophet Muhammad "get" His revelations? The state of receiving revelations is sometimes mentioned... It was not mere fantasies or day dreaming. The Prophet used to frequent a cave on Mount Hira that overlooked Mecca... this was a retreat for prayer and meditation ...after He had been there for some time the experience of revelation came to Him... He did not "get it"..that is, He was not seeking it as such ... It came to Him and through Him to others. It came as a "thunder biolt" from the Almighty ... The angel Gabriel was as a symbol of the Holy Spirit as when Moses encountered the burning bush or when the Holy Spirit like a dove descended on Jesus after being baptized.

There is a verse in the Qur'an that describes the event in the word "Iqra"...found in Surih Al-'Alaq meaning read or recite....

Recite in the name of your Lord who created -

Created man from a clinging substance.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous -

Who taught by the pen -

Taught man that which he knew not.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
How did Prophet Muhammad "get" His revelations? The state of receiving revelations is sometimes mentioned... It was not mere fantasies or day dreaming. The Prophet used to frequent a cave on Mount Hira that overlooked Mecca... this was a retreat for prayer and meditation ...after He had been there for some time the experience of revelation came to Him... He did not "get it"..that is, He was not seeking it as such ... It came to Him and through Him to others. It came as a "thunder biolt" from the Almighty ... The angel Gabriel was as a symbol of the Holy Spirit as when Moses encountered the burning bush or when the Holy Spirit like a dove descended on Jesus after being baptized.

There is a verse in the Qur'an that describes the event in the word "Iqra"...found in Surih Al-'Alaq meaning read or recite....

Recite in the name of your Lord who created -

Created man from a clinging substance.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous -

Who taught by the pen -

Taught man that which he knew not.

Thanks for your post.
The Word of Revelation kept on descending on the heart of Muhammad for 23 years of his life after prophet-hood of which 13 years he spent in Mecca and 10 years in Medina.
Regards

jonathan180iq

So I'm sure that we would all agree that the Oracle at Delphi similarly received her prophecies and revelations directly from the Gods of Olympus, yes?

I mean, if we are to accept magic divine whispers from one religion, then surely for consistency we accept the magic divine whispers of all religions.... right?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
So I'm sure that we would all agree that the Oracle at Delphi similarly received her prophecies and revelations directly from the Gods of Olympus, yes?
I mean, if we are to accept magic divine whispers from one religion, then surely for consistency we accept the magic divine whispers of all religions.... right?

Humans are intelligent; they can make a comparison between the communications.
Did Oracle at Delphi secure the communications received from Apollo?
It could always be compared with Quran.

Regards

jonathan180iq

Humans are intelligent; they can make a comparison between the communications.
Did Oracle at Delphi secure the communications received from Apollo?
It could always be compared with Quran.

Regards
Yeah, supposedly the Oracle (Pythia) received her messages from Apollo.

Since we're going to accept that divine communication is possible, then what's so special about Mohammed supposedly receiving his communications directly from Allah?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Yeah, supposedly the Oracle (Pythia) received her messages from Apollo.

Since we're going to accept that divine communication is possible, then what's so special about Mohammed supposedly receiving his communications directly from Allah?
It is good that you are accepting that communication between G-d and the humans is possible.
The special would by known by comparison of the conversations.
Regards

jonathan180iq

It is good that you are accepting that communication between G-d and the humans is possible.
The special would by known by comparison of the conversations.
Regards

No no. Just for the purposes of this debate...
If we are to accept or assume that the divine can communicate with the mortal, then what separates the claims of one religious diving communication experience from the other?
What makes Mohammed any different from any other former pagan religious claim of communication with the supernatural?
What makes Mohammed's claim of this communication any more valid than that of the Pythia almost 1,000 years prior?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
If he talks with you as you say; then you may ask him the question. Please
Regards
1rof1ROFL_zps05e59ced.gif

psychoslice

Veteran Member
If he talks with you as you say; then you may ask him the question. Please
Regards
Yes he has told me, and that is what I said earlier, the God that talks to me is within all of us, he isn't a man in the sky, he is all there is, he is the source of all, and if he is the source of all, then we are also that which he is.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Yes he has told me, and that is what I said earlier, the God that talks to me is within all of us, he isn't a man in the sky, he is all there is, he is the source of all, and if he is the source of all, then we are also that which he is.
You are simply wrong.
G-d knows what is inside us and without us. We are certainly different from us. He is our creator and we are created by Him.
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

You didn't quote the words of god. That is just your thinking.
Regards

psychoslice

Veteran Member
You are simply wrong.
G-d knows what is inside us and without us. We are certainly different from us. He is our creator and we are created by Him.
Regards
Well that's what your been conditioned to believe, but I have my own inner experience of what you call God, it doesn't mean my experience is for you as yours is not for me, its a personal experience, unlike organised religion, where they try to make everyone believe in someone else's experience, be that Jesus, Allah, the Buddha, or whoever.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Prophet Muhammad pbuh got revelation from Allah through Angel Gabriel.
Well, second hand is better than nothing, I suppose. So, in fact, we don't know that it really did come from God, rather, it came from some dude claiming to be Gabriel. Did he show ID?