• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

whats up with the "Xtians"?????

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I dont think its because it is tedious to type the whole word. I understand cuting 'super cali fragil listic expi ali doshes' short, but "Christian"?

Why?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Why abreviate it? I understand abreviating God to G-d. The word Christian isnt a holy word. Its a title for someone who has a relationship with Christ. Why abreviate Christmas? To many christians, that is one of the most important days of the year, the time Christ was born.

xtian
meaning christian
the x comes from latin and is the latin letter for christ, i.e. x-tian means christ-tian or christian
also xmas meaning christ-mas

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Why abreviate it? I understand abreviating God to G-d. The word Christian isnt a holy word. Its a title for someone who has a relationship with Christ. Why abreviate Christmas? To many christians, that is one of the most important days of the year, the time Christ was born.
Using the Greek X is a perfectly acceptable abbreviation. The "Chi-Rho" symbol has been use by the church for centuries. Why are you taking exception to it???

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Using the Greek X is a perfectly acceptable abbreviation. The "Chi-Rho" symbol has been use by the church for centuries. Why are you taking exception to it???
I suspect it has to do with a couple of things...

their faith is so weak they cannot handle the "removal" of Christ from Xmas...

Far to many Christians have to feel persecuted in order to feel secure in their faith...

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It just bugs me. I dont know personal reaaons why people today do it.

For example, some say Jehovah rather than Jesus. They say 'because' that is the name of Christ and it seems they are proud to use that name instead.

A lot of Jews use G-d. They say because it would be insulting God to write His whole name because it can be abused.

They gave me reasons that are understandable. I dont see that reason "from people today." Why use that instead of the full word? For respect? Popular?

sojourner

I suspect it has to do with a couple of things...

their faith is so weak they cannot handle the "removal" of Christ from Xmas...

Far to many Christians have to feel persecuted in order to feel secure in their faith...
Far too many Xtians don't have enough information to know when they're being insulted or not.

sojourner

It just bugs me. I dont know personal reaaons why people today do it.

For example, some say Jehovah rather than Jesus. They say 'because' that is the name of Christ and it seems they are proud to use that name instead.

A lot of Jews use G-d. They say because it would be insulting God to write His whole name because it can be abused.

They gave me reasons that are understandable. I dont see that reason "from people today." Why use that instead of the full word? For respect? Popular?
It's an abbreviation. That's all. It's like using 1 Cor. for "the First Letter of Paul to the Corinthians."

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It's an abbreviation. That's all. It's like using 1 Cor. for "the First Letter of Paul to the Corinthians."
It seems irrelevent. A lot of books in the bible are long. I havnt seen Xtian used until almost recently. Kind of the same as the wave of peoplen saying "I am not a christian, I have a relationship with Christ" and, I dont know when this happened, people are divorcing themselves from the word religion.

I just thought there was a reason.
-
Now Im thinking, I would say a christian would use the full name. Seems like an abreviated relationship with Christ. Words have power.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Jehovah is used in place of Lord God, not Jesus, no one calls Jesus Jehovah, they call God Jehovah, and most Christians are well aware that Jesus could not have been born on Christmas day, as the Shepherds were keeping their flocks in the fields, it could not have been winter, where they would have been kept indoors or in a pen to stay warm, I think.

Baladas

An Págánach
I'm not sure. It annoys me a little, but others are free to use whatever abbreviations they wish.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Jehovah is used in place of Lord God, not Jesus, no one calls Jesus Jehovah, they call God Jehovah, and most Christians are well aware that Jesus could not have been born on Christmas day, as the Shepherds were keeping their flocks in the fields, it could not have been winter, where they would have been kept indoors or in a pen to stay warm, I think.
Hi Lyndon......
I'm not suggesting that Jesus was born on Xmas day (ooops!) but those shepherds might still have been out in the fields with their flocks, because the Judean winters might not have been that bad. For instance, walnut trees in Galilee could produce for about 11 months of the year, I have read.

This abbreviation of Christian to Xtian...... I'm sure I have seen it reduced to just Xian...........
Of course, the first Christians just used symbols, didn't they? ...... such as the fish, and later on just the X.
I thought that the X was the very very first symbol of Christianity. My mother-in-law wears an X pendant.