• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the Buddhist holy book?

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
If you want to understand Christianity, you read the Bible, what do you read if you want to understand Buddhism?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
There isn't one definitive scripture for all of Buddhism. There are many sutras, and often times they reinforce each other, and sometimes they contradict each other.

Some schools of Buddhism rely heavily on sutras in general, or specific sutras in particular. Others do not.

A good place to start is actually the Buddhism overview here on RF.

It gives a pretty good thumbnail of the three major traditions, and basic Buddhist concepts.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
If you want to understand Christianity, you read the Bible, what do you read if you want to understand Buddhism?[/quote
I believe it is called the Mahavastu...Aren't there several different types of Buddhist's....Wish I knew more because I find it interesting.:confused:

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
A good place to start is actually the Buddhism overview here on RF.

Just read it. Very informative and interesting. Do you have any recomended reading material for someone interested to learn about Buddhism? I'm confused by the list of schools and their different texts, I'm not sure where to begin.

There's a Buddhist centre somewhere near here, I'll see if I can find it and drop in.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Just read it. Very informative and interesting. Do you have any recomended reading material for someone interested to learn about Buddhism? I'm confused by the list of schools and their different texts, I'm not sure where to begin.

There's a Buddhist centre somewhere near here, I'll see if I can find it and drop in.

Phasmid, that's probably the best thing that you can do, to be honest. There you might find answers to your questions in conversation and people as a part of a sang'ha who can offer their own experiences with the dharma. There are tons of books out there that are commentary on the sutras, and any number of them are great places to start (I usually recommend anything by Thich Nhat Hanh, since his writings are what introduced me to Buddhism, and so it's likely that's just a personal preference :D).

Study is important, but it essentially comes down to how you practice the dharma. Good luck in your search! :flower:

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
If you want to understand Christianity, you read the Bible, what do you read if you want to understand Buddhism?
In actuality, you don't read the bible in order to understand Christianity. You talk to Christians to understand Christianity. If someone who had no exposure to Christianity whatsoever were to read the bible from cover to cover, there is no guarantee that he or she would come up with anything close to resembling what Christianity is now. It is as much a product of the cultures that it's been exposed to as it is the text, if not more. The same for Buddhism.

I have read Buddhist texts and they have helped me to better understand Buddhism, but only because I had teachers and practitioners who could give the words perspective. Just sitting by yourself and reading words, especially as they refer to stories and customs from another culture centuries ago, would be baffling. To understand Buddhism, talk to Buddhists.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Phasmid,
The holy book of buddhists is the TIPITAKA besides that the LOTUS SUTRA.
Love & rgds

koan

Dear zenzero, the Lotus sutra is only Mahayana. Please don't forget about our Theravada friends

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The Lotus Sutra is very well regarded by some sects, but pretty much ignored by others, even in Mahayana.

The Tipitaka (more often named Tripitaka) is theorically the core doctrine of Buddhism, but I don't think too many Mahayana priests know that, much less agree with it.

The Rev

The first book I read on Buddhism was "Buddhism for Dummies" and it was actually very informative, and a good primer on the subject. When studying something new, I always like to get the broad overview first, and that book served that purpose very well for me.
:namaste

Nicholas

Bodhicitta
Buddha taught certain people or groups according to what they could understand and practice. But the basics in all schools of Buddhism are the same.

His first teaching or sutta gives the outline.

It was called the dhammacakka sutta. Bhikkhu Pesala gives a good commentary.

Just google dhammacakka sutta bhikkhu pesala