• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Would Jesus Do?

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
You work in a cake shop. It is the family business, and has been so for two generations. Your entire family has been Christian for as long as anyone can remember and, you too, are Christian.

One day, two homosexuals walk into your cake shop to order a cake for their Civil Partnership or Marriage. You refuse them service on religious grounds: homosexuality offends your religious beliefs.

But let's look at it another way: What Would Jesus Do?

Jesus was not a Christian. Nor had he ever read the Bible. Neither concepts existed as they do now when he was giving the Sermon on the Mount, or healing the Leper, or speaking with the Prostitute.

But the office of a Christian should not only be to believe in Jesus Christ, but also to aspire to be as much like him as it's possible to be (short of being able to turn water into wine).

This being the case, what would Jesus have done in that same situation?

WWJD? It used to be a popular Christian Meme set out as a poignant and relevant reminder of what the job of a Christian is.

Why did so many Christians forget? And is it about time they remembered?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You work in a cake shop. It is the family business, and has been so for two generations. Your entire family has been Christian for as long as anyone can remember and, you too, are Christian.

One day, two homosexuals walk into your cake shop to order a cake for their Civil Partnership or Marriage. You refuse them service on religious grounds: homosexuality offends your religious beliefs.

Jesus was not a Christian. Nor had he ever read the Bible. Neither concepts existed as they do now when he was giving the Sermon on the Mount, or healing the Leper, or speaking with the Prostitute.

But the office of a Christian should not only be to believe in Jesus Christ, but also to aspire to be as much like him as it's possible to be (short of being able to turn water into wine).

WWJD? It used to be a popular Christian Meme set out as a poignant and relevant reminder of what the job of a Christian is.

What's always confused me about this is that, regarding those who would refuse service to homosexuals because it offends their religious beliefs - are they saying that it would be an actual "sin" if they did so? Are they saying that they believe they will suffer eternal damnation if they bake a cake for a gay couple? Are their convictions just as strong with other sins as well? If I go into a cake shop and happen to mention that I covet my neighbor's oxen, would they then tell me "No cake for you"?

On the other hand, a cake is kind of a luxury item. It would be one thing if someone was starving or injured and someone refused to help, but a cake isn't really a necessity for life. So, there may not be any specific moral requirement to bake a cake for anyone who asks, although legally and Constitutionally, it's a different matter.

Other than that, I'm just trying to imagine what it would be like if Jesus worked in a cake shop. He'd probably end up getting fired due to too many complaints about his cakes tasting as bland as communion wafers.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I read something like this in the news in the states. I think the couple filed a law suite.

What wouls Jesus do? He would have sold the cake. Jesus did a lot of things for what His Father calls sinners. A christian is one who has a relationship with Jesus; so, I see no reason why Hed deny His own brothers by how they identify themselves with each other.

If they wanted Him to bless their mairrage, that, I believe He would deny.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Probably go to a meeting with his rabbi at Synagog, where they tell him they'll bar him from it if he serves them, then he'll get angry, flip some tables and they'll just crucify him in public opinion..

BSM1

What? Me worry?

One point: the restriction of a man sleeping with another as a woman comes from the Old Testament. Just to play Devil's Advocate, Jesus said he came not to change the law "..not one jot no tittle..." so he would not, IMHO, have sold them a cake-at least not without a sermon. He also would have tried to talk them out of serving shrimp at their reception.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Didn't he supposedly say "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"? I think it's likely he'd sell them the cake and wish them the best, as a compassionate person would do.

[my quoting Jesus reference to "sin" here is an assumption he would see gay relationships as a sin, which I have at least some doubts that he would feel that way today]

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

"What would Jesus do" is sort of a bogus condition, for a couple of reasons. First, We don't really know what Jesus would do. We know what the authors of the gospels tell us jesus might do. Second, Jesus wasn't a post-modern, American, White, Anglo-Saxon, Protestant, Fundamentalist, small business owner, living in 21st-century America. What Jesus might do would depend heavily on the context.

The best we can do is to take a look at the overarching biblical tenets in such a way that they are relevant to our context. Doing so, I suspect that tolerance, inclusion, compassion, inclusion, hospitality, fairness, etc. might be the way Jesus would treat such people in such a context.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Didn't he supposedly say "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"? I think it's likely he'd sell them the cake and wish them the best, as a compassionate person would do.

[my quoting Jesus reference to "sin" here is an assumption he would see gay relationships as a sin, which I have at least some doubts that he would feel that way today]

Or, like the adulteress, he might tell them to go and sin no more. Who knows?

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Nor had he ever read the Bible.
I wanted to like the post but this prevented me. If Jesus never read the Bible then why was he called Rabbi by his followers? (Matthew 26:25, Mark 9:5) And how did Jesus ever get to preach in a synagogue without knowledge of the Old Testament? (Luke 4:16-30)

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
I wanted to like the post but this prevented me. If Jesus never read the Bible then why was he called Rabbi by his followers? (Matthew 26:25, Mark 9:5) And how did Jesus ever get to preach in a synagogue without knowledge of the Old Testament? (Luke 4:16-30)

The Bible wasn't written until decades after Jesus' death. So how could he have read it?

JoStories

What's always confused me about this is that, regarding those who would refuse service to homosexuals because it offends their religious beliefs - are they saying that it would be an actual "sin" if they did so? Are they saying that they believe they will suffer eternal damnation if they bake a cake for a gay couple? Are their convictions just as strong with other sins as well? If I go into a cake shop and happen to mention that I covet my neighbor's oxen, would they then tell me "No cake for you"?

On the other hand, a cake is kind of a luxury item. It would be one thing if someone was starving or injured and someone refused to help, but a cake isn't really a necessity for life. So, there may not be any specific moral requirement to bake a cake for anyone who asks, although legally and Constitutionally, it's a different matter.

Other than that, I'm just trying to imagine what it would be like if Jesus worked in a cake shop. He'd probably end up getting fired due to too many complaints about his cakes tasting as bland as communion wafers.
Having lived in Oklahoma for over a year, I followed the court case of Hobby Lobby closely as they refused to allow birth control, would not serve anyone they saw fit. It was their opinion not that they would or were sinning but rather, they wanted to take that stand as to not support those things that their faith saw as sin. IMO, it's wrong.

JoStories

Male homosexuality is called an abomination in Leviticus.
And? That might be your belief and mores the power to you but millions do not concur, including many Christians. So while you are welcome to your opinion, it is becoming less and less the norm these days.

JoStories

The NT is supposed to have been written decades later, not the entire Bible.
The OT was not widely read either and had limited copies available as all had to hand scribed which takes an inordinate amount of time. Further, it would also depend upon the language it was written in. Even assuming it was Hebrew, we have no evidence Jesus could read.

Awoon

Interesting WWJD. All Christians that I know follow a Religion about Jesus of Nazareth, non of them follow the Religion of Jesus of Nazareth. WWJD? Jesus would tell your family, I was sick and you did not visit me. I was naked and you did not clothe me. I was hungry and you did not feed me. I was getting married and you refused to celebrate with me.