• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was The Faith of Jesus of Nazareth?

lovemuffin

τὸν ἄρτον τοῦ ἔρωτος
I would say he had faith that he was not separate from his heavenly Father, who he dared to call Abba. He had faith that love and mercy, patterned after the connection he felt with God ("be perfect as your heavenly father is perfect..."), could heal and make people whole, and that human evil, hypocrisy, or abused authority could not overcome that. He had faith that spiritual power was not exercised by physical force

Note that all of that I'm taking from the gospels, so there are all the caveats about the fairness or reliability of that presentation, and I'm certainly presenting it in a not-explicitly-Jewish way but in so doing I don't mean to imply his faith wasn't expressed in a Jewish way. But those are important themes in his experience, presented by the gospels, in my experience

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
The word 'Christian' did not get created until after His departure is my understanding.
That's true, they were called "disciples" and they were called "disciples" in Acts, as well. The word, Christian, might have been used disparagingly, according to what scholars have said.

Awoon

I would say he had faith that he was not separate from his heavenly Father, who he dared to call Abba. He had faith that love and mercy, patterned after the connection he felt with God ("be perfect as your heavenly father is perfect..."), could heal and make people whole, and that human evil, hypocrisy, or abused authority could not overcome that. He had faith that spiritual power was not exercised by physical force

Note that all of that I'm taking from the gospels, so there are all the caveats about the fairness or reliability of that presentation, and I'm certainly presenting it in a not-explicitly-Jewish way but in so doing I don't mean to imply his faith wasn't expressed in a Jewish way. But those are important themes in his experience, presented by the gospels, in my experience

But what is the Name of the FAITH of Jesus of Nazareth?

lovemuffin

τὸν ἄρτον τοῦ ἔρωτος
I'm afraid I don't understand what the distinction would be between giving his faith a name that would be distinct from his religion. Since you said "not his religion", I interpreted the question along the lines of the answer I gave. I probably don't have anything useful to say about the question you are actually asking, I guess?

Awoon

I'm afraid I don't understand what the distinction would be between giving his faith a name that would be distinct from his religion. Since you said "not his religion", I interpreted the question along the lines of the answer I gave. I probably don't have anything useful to say about the question you are actually asking, I guess?

Faith and Religion are not the same.