• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Bible?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, the Christian Bible consists of the Old Testament and the New Testament. In the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox traditions, the Old Testament includes writings considered apocryphal by Protestants. The New Testament contains four Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John), Acts, 21 letters, and Revelation.

How do you feel about that?
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Bi...ble consists of,, 21 letters, and Revelation.

Ignatius A

According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, the Christian Bible consists of the Old Testament and the New Testament. In the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox traditions, the Old Testament includes writings considered apocryphal by Protestants. The New Testament contains four Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John), Acts, 21 letters, and Revelation.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Bible#:~:text=The Christian Bible consists of,, 21 letters, and Revelation.
What protestant think is irrelevant as they believe things that aren't even in the Bible like the two solas. The canon of scripture was established in 382 at the council of Rome and reaffirmed at Hippo 393, Carthage 397, and Florence 1442. No on questioned that until Luther decided he disagreed with the Bible. Protestants arent good interpretors of scripture.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
No issue.

From the deciding of the canon, the Bible has 73 books in whole and can be based on either the Septuagint or the Masoretic Text.

I use both.

pearl

the Old Testament includes writings considered apocryphal by Protestants.

I think the Gospels are pretty much the same but arranged differently concerning the pastorals. The biggest difference is the Hebrew Scriptures.
Luther did not accept, as inspired, books of Hebrew Scripture in Greek, the Septuagint, neither did the Rabbis.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the Gospels are pretty much the same but arranged differently concerning the pastorals. The biggest difference is the Hebrew Scriptures.
Luther did not accept, as inspired, books of Hebrew Scripture in Greek, the Septuagint, neither did the Rabbis.
The earliest Christians, all Jews, used the LXX.

So I think your statement is false. Paul used the LXX.

We can tell from their quotes and the Bible the Orthodox Church uses, their choice of books and so on. The LXX was the standard, it seems.

DNB

Christian

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Bible#:~:text=The Christian Bible consists of,, 21 letters, and Revelation.
It's been a while since I've read the deuterocanonical books, so I can't attest to their corroboration with the rest of, what I believe to be, the standard canon (66 books) - pseudepigrapha, for example, are clearly nonsensical.

Because none of the apocrypha are written in Hebrew, and due to their intertestamental circa, I tend to not consider them to be authorized by the proper processes - compiled collectively by scribes, priests, or prophets (omitted from the Hebrew canon)

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I think it is a wonderful collection of writtings that have a scarlet thread tying it all together.

It is interesting that even the Protestant KJV can include the Apocryphal books.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I think it is a wonderful collection of writtings that have a scarlet thread tying it all together.

It is interesting that even the Protestant KJV can include the Apocryphal books.
That is interesting, thank you.