• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do "you" believe?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
To those abrahamics who "rely" on religious scripture (of any kind) as the basis of your faith? (Meaning, you cant live without it)

Do you believe in your faith because it is what You believe or what the scripture tells you to believe?

You are either depended on scripture; it shapes your morals...your worldview is from scripture alone.

Or

You are not depended on scripture. That means you can have Good Morals even if they contradict your scripture AND you chose not to follow those values because it does contradict.

It cant be both. You cant depend soley on scripture and still maintain views that contradict it. Likewise, you cant be totally depended on your views before you do scripture. In this case, your views are not in scripture.

If your views ARE scripture tell me if you have any opinions of your own or is it scripture verbatum.

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
Carlita, my dear, thank you for your wonderfully thought-provoking question. I will do my best to answer as honestly as possible.

I - even as a Unitarian Universalist - am a Christian, though a Unitarian Christian (and at times, Deistic). I firmly believe in that particular understanding of Christianity because it is what I arrived at through soul-searching and deep contemplation, and my use of God-given reason in interpreting what I read in the scriptures. I apologize if this makes no sense or is off-track in any way shape or form.

Last edited:

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Carlita, my dear, thank you for your wonderfully thought-provoking question. I will do my best to answer as honestly as possible.

I - even as a Unitarian Universalist - am a Christian, though a Unitarian Christian. I firmly believe in that particular understanding of Christianity because it is what I arrived at through soul-searching and deep contemplation, and my use of God-given reason in interpreting what I read in the scriptures. I apologize if this makes no sense or is off-track in any way shape or form.
An extremely reasonable approach.

aoji

... your worldview is from scripture alone.

I doubt that scripture alone molds one's worldview - your parents, teacher, priest, friends, enemies, media, schooling, lovers, experiences, culture, society, where one lives, one's skin colour, one's sex, one's race, rich, poor, middle class, etc, - they all shape one's world view. Chances are one's world view is always evolving because the world is always changing.

... you can have Good Morals even if they contradict your scripture AND you chose not to follow those values because it does contradict.

And how were these morals shaped if by not others? One's first teacher is one's mother, then one's father, then one's grand parents, uncles, aunts, sisters and brothers.

"It can't be both"? I bet that for most people it is both and a lot more. How can one have values from a scriture they don't understand? Not understanding it will lead to contradiction.

I take it that you mean that one only has one scripture verse, like Buddha's "You are what you think" and Jesus' "Let your “yes” be yes and your “no” be no" that shapes one's mind?

I think that you are trying to pigeon hole everyone.

To those Abrahamics...

That would be the Jews, right? They say that they are the sons of Abraham and their sign is circumcision. Yes, Christians and Muslims also say that Abraham is their father, but do they circumscribe their children?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The whole OP goes by person experience. The view that scripture is from God is for all abrahamic faiths. Their dependence on scripture (Bible, Torah, Quran) varries but basics make them abrahamic.

The OP is asking

1. Do believers base their life the scripture Before they do anyone and anything else.

Example: My friend would sacrifice her friendship and possibly her family for her God.

While both shape her life, God not her opinions, is the foundation of her relationship with people and with herself. They do not coexist in importance.

Or

2. Does a believer have opinions "separate" from his scripture? If so, are some of these opinions contradictory to the scripture he bases his life (not theory and belief) on?

While scripture shapes his opinions, he will always see his opinions as a foundation and scripture to back it.

It cannot be both; logically.

If you set your life on scripture and THAT is your foundation for your relations in life, there is no other foundation in abrahamic faith but God. Any opinion outside this is wrong.

If you set your life to your opinions FIRST and then to scripture, you are disobeying the very words you follow. God before self.

The last question is when everyone says "but Im the exception"

If your opinions ARE scripture,do you have opinions of your own or is it only God?

It is not puting anyone in a box. Its their faith. There is no interfaith in all three beliefs. In christianity there is no revering Buddha as an equam to the Creator. In Judaism and Muslim there is no worship to man as if He is thr Creator. No interfaith.

One foundation (opinions or scripture) many blocks (either shaped by all you mentioned)

They make a whole unit AND there is a hierarchy lf importance.

I doubt that scripture alone molds one's worldview - your parents, teacher, priest, friends, enemies, media, schooling, lovers, experiences, culture, society, where one lives, one's skin colour, one's sex, one's race, rich, poor, middle class, etc, - they all shape one's world view. Chances are one's world view is always evolving because the world is always changing.

And how were these morals shaped if by not others? One's first teacher is one's mother, then one's father, then one's grand parents, uncles, aunts, sisters and brothers.

"It can't be both"? I bet that for most people it is both and a lot more. How can one have values from a scriture they don't understand? Not understanding it will lead to contradiction.

I take it that you mean that one only has one scripture verse, like Buddha's "You are what you think" and Jesus' "Let your “yes” be yes and your “no” be no" that shapes one's mind?

I think that you are trying to pigeon hole everyone.

That would be the Jews, right? They say that they are the sons of Abraham and their sign is circumcision. Yes, Christians and Muslims also say that Abraham is their father, but do they circumscribe their children?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I try to follow Yeshua's commands to the best of my ability. Yeshua said the two most important laws were to "Love God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength" and to "Love your neighbor as yourself".

To answer the question, I became theist before I became a Christian, before I read the Bible. Therefore, I can't say that a book told me to believe in God. I am hoping that I follow everything correctly, but since I am still a flawed human being, I know I might be wrong is some of what I believe it.

arthra

Baha'i
"You are not depended on scripture. That means you can have Good Morals even if they contradict your scripture AND you chose not to follow those values because it does contradict."

In my view everyone comes from their own perspective and background... No two people are identical.. Also we are all growing and maturing in our understanding of scripture. Religions that are steeped in ancient culture have instilled values from that religion...so people may have a variety of views but have similar values from the religion in that culture. Morals in a given culture are instilled often from an early age.

aoji

Do believers base their life [on] the scripture Before they do anyone and anything else.

Example: My friend would sacrifice her friendship and possibly her family for her God.

It's hard to find Salt-of-the-Earth believers. For example, my wife and I (we married young) would go to church on Sundays and then afterwards go and **** a friend of mine while I would watch the football game. When it comes to sex many cheat. So one will rationalize their actions one way or the other. It took me decades to come to grips with divorce and scripture. And yes, having found out that she cheated on me, I cheated on her. When a wife doesn't do her duty for over 9 months something's got to give.

Yes, some will base their life on scripture, but I fear very few since our culture temps us relentlessly. People will do what People will do.

Do you believe in your faith because it is what You believe or what the scripture tells you to believe?

To the immature, the young-in-faith, what difference does it make, how could they know the difference? Typically one believes the way they do because that is the way that they were raised to believe. Over time everyone must grow, and they may outgrow old beliefs.

Johnlove

To those abrahamics who "rely" on religious scripture (of any kind) as the basis of your faith? (Meaning, you cant live without it)

You are either depended on scripture; it shapes your morals...your worldview is from scripture alone.

Or

You are not depended on scripture. That means you can have Good Morals even if they contradict your scripture AND you chose not to follow those values because it does contradict.

It cant be both. You cant depend soley on scripture and still maintain views that contradict it. Likewise, you cant be totally depended on your views before you do scripture. In this case, your views are not in scripture.

If your views ARE scripture tell me if you have any opinions of your own or is it scripture verbatum.

I believe Jesus is our Lord and God, because I have seen him. Jesus has called me by name. He has personally taught me to know him/God.

I know Jesus is God, because of all the good fruit that has been produced, because of my belief.

I walk in the gifts of the Holy Spirit, and through the Holy Spirit walk in powers most people don’t even know exist.

I obey God, because he gives me the grace to be able to do so, and because that obeying God is why I was created.

My fullness comes in my being a servant of God’s.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Thank you.

Does this mean you have no opinions a part from scripture? If you do, do you have good opinions but dont follow them because they contradict scripture? If your opinions are scripture, do you have opinions of your own?

I believe Jesus is our Lord and God, because I have seen him. Jesus has called me by name. He has personally taught me to know him/God.

I know Jesus is God, because of all the good fruit that has been produced, because of my belief.

I walk in the gifts of the Holy Spirit, and through the Holy Spirit walk in powers most people don’t even know exist.

I obey God, because he gives me the grace to be able to do so, and because that obeying God is why I was created.

My fullness comes in my being a servant of God’s.

Johnlove

Thank you.

Does this mean you have no opinions a part from scripture? If you do, do you have good opinions but dont follow them because they contradict scripture? If your opinions are scripture, do you have opinions of your own?
I don’t have any opinions about God that Jesus has not given to me.

Jesus has never given me any teachings that contradict the written Word of God.

At times Jesus will use the written Word of God to help teach me. Most of the time Jesus teaches me, and I later am able to find it in the written Word.

A long time ago Jesus told me to stop trying to figure him out and just follow him. Jesus did that audibly, and this made me understand just how important that word was.

Jesus has me in a place where he just wants me to watch what he is doing. Letting me know that everything that is done by me is his doing, and not mine.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Did you literally hear him? Christians talk in a lot of poetic language to expain simple experiences with their Lord.

I know I have opinions that are not found in nature; and, they are my own given some our thoughts are not inherit. They dont contradict nature but I dont attribute them to nature because I dont see them in nature.

I never hear a Christian say "it is my opiniom that blue is the best color in the world" even though God never mentions it. Do they have opinions of their own (what is not in scripture) or do their opinions have to be from scripture (important=verbatum)?

People who believe in a Creator no matter their faith confuse me. How can a person give their life to a Creator to the point of sacrificing the opinions, body, and mind He was given?

How are you, You, if God defines you?

Kind of asking what makes Jesus unique from His Father.

I don’t have any opinions about God that Jesus has not given to me.

Jesus has never given me any teachings that contradict the written Word of God.

At times Jesus will use the written Word of God to help teach me. Most of the time Jesus teaches me, and I later am able to find it in the written Word.

A long time ago Jesus told me to stop trying to figure him out and just follow him. Jesus did that audibly, and this made me understand just how important that word was.

Jesus has me in a place where he just wants me to watch what he is doing. Letting me know that everything that is done by me is his doing, and not mine.

Johnlove

Did you literally hear him? Christians talk in a lot of poetic language to expain simple experiences with their Lord.

I know I have opinions that are not found in nature; and, they are my own given some our thoughts are not inherit. They dont contradict nature but I dont attribute them to nature because I dont see them in nature.

I never hear a Christian say "it is my opiniom that blue is the best color in the world" even though God never mentions it. Do they have opinions of their own (what is not in scripture) or do their opinions have to be from scripture (important=verbatum)?

People who believe in a Creator no matter their faith confuse me. How can a person give their life to a Creator to the point of sacrificing the opinions, body, and mind He was given?

How are you, You, if God defines you?

Kind of asking what makes Jesus unique from His Father.

Are you asking me to answer for other Christians?

I have seen Jesus, and he has sat next to me and taught me.

Jesus has told me he is God, and the Christian Bible is God’s written Word.

I personally ask Jesus to let me know what is right or wrong, about most everything.

God created all things, and that includes nature. So nature is never going to lead one to know God.

I also have no interest at all in changing one’s thoughts about God.

Changing one’s thoughts about God can only be done by God.

I can give my witness about God forever, but unless God confirms that witness it will not be accepted.

Even when God does confirm my witness by doing miracles, healings, and other works of the Holy Spirit, people refuse to believe.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Im asking you two specific questions: if you literally hear Jesus?...and are your opinions His opinions or do you have opinions of your own even though they do not contradict God's?

I like your testimony. I know you heared Jesus...thats what you wrote, was it literal?

I know you follow Jesus teachings as what you wrote, are your opinions Jesus' teachings or can you seperate your thoughts from His?

Are you asking me to answer for other Christians?

I personally ask Jesus to let me know what is right or wrong, about most everything.

God created all things, and that includes nature. So nature is never going to lead one to know God.

I can give my witness about God forever, but unless God confirms that witness it will not be accepted.

Even when God does confirm my witness by doing miracles, healings, and other works of the Holy Spirit, people refuse to believe.

54958"]Are you asking me to answer for other Christians?

Johnlove

Im asking you two specific questions: if you literally hear Jesus?...and are your opinions His opinions or do you have opinions of your own even though they do not contradict God's?

I like your testimony. I know you heared Jesus...thats what you wrote, was it literal?

I know you follow Jesus teachings as what you wrote, are your opinions Jesus' teachings or can you seperate your thoughts from His?
I have heard Jesus speak to me audibly, and in a number of different ways, and that is literal.

If I have an opinion about anything it is always given to Jesus to have him let me know if I am right or not.

Jesus once told me to give him the first few moments of ever situation.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen

Or

It can be both. I'm a Christian who considers historical & cultural relevance when reading scripture. Therefore, I don't accept every word to be literal. For the most part, I believe that the majority of Christians adhere to the same core tenants of faith. For me, in my faith walk, I depend on Christ Jesus - his mercy & forgiveness. The only way to fulfill the law, as per scripture, is to love, for when we love, we fulfill the law to the fullest.

Why would I invest an overt amount of time preaching fire and brimstone when love freed me from it?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

Or

Why did you put "you" in quotations in the subject line?