• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Do Judaism, Christianity, and Islam Have In Common?

Dream Angel

What do Judaism, Christianity, and Islam have in common?
  • They are all abrahamic religions
  • They all follow and believe in the Old testament and maybe the New Testament?
  • They all believe in a (one) God.
  • I think they all have the ten commandments?
  • They all have differences from one another? :D
  • I think they all believe in a type of heaven and maybe hell
  • They are all very large religions
  • They all have some sort of clergymen
  • They all have a holy day - day or worship (Sat, Sun, and Fri respectively I think!)
  • They all have a founder! :)
  • They all have divine revelation
  • They all have a sacred text they follow
  • They all believe in angels and demons I think
  • They all believe Jesus existed but differ in whether he was a prophet or son of God or neither!
I think thats all I can think of at the moment!

Edit: They were all founded in the east!

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Christians don't follow the Old Testament, and as far as I'm concerned, Allah and God aren't the same gods.

Anyway...

They all think Jesus was a good teacher and a good man.
They all believe in a Heaven and a Hell.
Christianity and Islam both branched from Judaism.

That's about all I can think of.

Oh yeah, and they all believe that they're right and the other two religions are dead wrong.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I'll have to go with "they all believe in the same god".
Christians don't follow the Old Testament, and as far as I'm concerned, Allah and God aren't the same gods.
Why would you say that Christians that speak Arabic say "God" as "Allah", then? "Allah" being the Arabic word for "God".

Dream Angel

Anyway...

They all think Jesus was a good teacher and a good man.
They all believe in a Heaven and a Hell.
Christianity and Islam both branched from Judaism.

That's about all I can think of.

Oh yeah, and they all believe that they're right and the other two religions are dead wrong.

Hmmm.... I think most christians read the bible - the bible having the old testament in it!

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!

Not so for Islam. We do not believe that christianity or judaism, are dead wrong. Both of them are truths revealed from Allah.

The best thing all three of us have in common is that neither of us were supposed to be a religion seperate from each other.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
I'll have to go with "they all believe in the same god".Why would you say that Christians that speak Arabic say "God" as "Allah", then? "Allah" being the Arabic word for "God".

Allah as in the god-of-Islam-Allah. :rolleyes:

Hmmm.... I think most christians read the bible - the bible having the old testament in it!

Yes, that is true, but Christians don't follow the Old Testament, which is what I originally said.

Not so for Islam. We do not believe that christianity or judaism, are dead wrong. Both of them are truths revealed from Allah.

The best thing all three of us have in common is that neither of us were supposed to be a religion seperate from each other.

Pardon me, I didn't know. :eek: Well, I guess I sorta did, but I wasn't thinking. I'm a Christian, but there are principals in Islam and Judaism that I would agree with. Although I'll have to disagree with you somewhat on that last thing. Judaism was supposed to pass away when Christianity was introduced. Jewish folks would disagree with that statement, I'm sure. And if I understand correctly, Christianity was supposed to pass away when Islam was introduced, but I as a Christian would disagree with that statement. So it's all a matter of who you are and how you look at it, really. Some would say that we're not supposed to be seperate religions, and some of us would say we're supposed to be seperated and apart.

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
Judaism was supposed to pass away when Christianity was introduced. Jewish folks would disagree with that statement, I'm sure. And if I understand correctly, Christianity was supposed to pass away when Islam was introduced, but I as a Christian would disagree with that statement. So it's all a matter of who you are and how you look at it, really. Some would say that we're not supposed to be seperate religions, and some of us would say we're supposed to be seperated and apart.

I guess that's one way of putting it although I wouldn't say pass away. Allah revealed the religion of monotheism with some basic rules for living. People over time became disobedient to either the monotheism, the rules, or both. After a time, Allah re-reveals the same religion (often to the same people). The re-revelation is changed slightly as far as the rules, but the monotheism, the belief itself is exactly the same. Process repeats until the advent of Islam. Allah promises this time to preserve both the rules and the beliefs in original condition. Promise has effectively been kept.

That's the long and short of it from an Islamic POV. Obviously others will not agree. Instead of saying pass away, i would say the people were supposed to accept the correction presented to them. Jews were supposed to accept that Jesus was in fact the messiah they were looking for. Had they done that, there would have been no need for the jews who did accept that to be renamed christians, as if it were a sect. The "christians" were to do the same with Muhammad but again the vast majority ignored it. Even though the actual beliefs that Moses taught, Jesus taught, and Muhammad taught, were all the same.

Having said that I know how it is to be the one who refuses to change. Bahai's would follow me up to say that in fact muslims have done the same by not accepting baha'ullah. The main difference here though is that Moses and Jesus announced the coming of another after them. At the very least neither of them stated that the line of prophets ended with them. Muhammad did exactly that. He not only warned us that a few prophets might be false, he warned us that all those assuming the mantle of prophethood were false. (No offence intended to anyone.)

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
I guess that's one way of putting it although I wouldn't say pass away. Allah revealed the religion of monotheism with some basic rules for living. People over time became disobedient to either the monotheism, the rules, or both. After a time, Allah re-reveals the same religion (often to the same people). The re-revelation is changed slightly as far as the rules, but the monotheism, the belief itself is exactly the same. Process repeats until the advent of Islam. Allah promises this time to preserve both the rules and the beliefs in original condition. Promise has effectively been kept.

That's the long and short of it from an Islamic POV. Obviously others will not agree. Instead of saying pass away, i would say the people were supposed to accept the correction presented to them. Jews were supposed to accept that Jesus was in fact the messiah they were looking for. Had they done that, there would have been no need for the jews who did accept that to be renamed christians, as if it were a sect. The "christians" were to do the same with Muhammad but again the vast majority ignored it. Even though the actual beliefs that Moses taught, Jesus taught, and Muhammad taught, were all the same.

Having said that I know how it is to be the one who refuses to change. Bahai's would follow me up to say that in fact muslims have done the same by not accepting baha'ullah. The main difference here though is that Moses and Jesus announced the coming of another after them. At the very least neither of them stated that the line of prophets ended with them. Muhammad did exactly that. He not only warned us that a few prophets might be false, he warned us that all those assuming the mantle of prophethood were false. (No offence intended to anyone.)

Jesus stated in the New Testament that if anyone, even an angel, brings a differant gospel to us from what He brought, they are a false prophet. And I can think of some key differances between Christianity and Islam. Therefore, to me, Muhammad would be a false prophet. (And same here, no offence intended at all).

maro

muslimah
They all follow and believe in the Old testament and maybe the New Testament?

but not those which exist nowadays ,we believe that the original revealations were corrupted by people

I think they all have the ten commandments?

islam doesn't have ten commandments , but much more than that :D

They all have some sort of clergymen

we have scholars who have deep knowledge , but not clergymen

fuulyvieledmuslimah said:
Not so for islam .We do not believe that christianity or judaism, are dead wrong. Both of them are truths revealed from Allah.

yeah ,both of them were truths revealed from Allah , and then were corrupted by people

So woe to those who write the "scripture" with their own hands, then say, "This is from Allāh," in order to exchange it for a small price. Woe to them for what their hands have written and woe to them for what they earn.(2:79)

maro

muslimah

well said :clap

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
Allah says it in Quran:

40. Muhammad (SAW) is not the father of any man among you, but he is the Messenger of Allâh and the last (end) of the Prophets. And Allâh is Ever All­Aware of everything. (al-Ahzab)