• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We Are All Humans

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Yesterday I visited my aunt. She is an ultra-fundamentalist Muslim who believes that anyone who doesn't follow Islam, Christianity, or Judaism should be killed. She also believes that ex-Muslims, like me, should be killed as well. She has posted things like "watch and enjoy the non-believers' demise" on her Facebook page on some occasions when natural disasters occurred in non-Muslim countries.

But she is the most loving relative I have aside from my close family. She would give her life for her children, and she is hospitable, caring, and welcoming to me. She is also involved in charity work. I feel great that I can love her and not hold a grudge against her for her beliefs regarding what should be done to people like me. What is interesting to me is that she thinks of me as a great person, which proves that her own belief that atheists are immoral, horrible people is just absolutely wrong. She unintentionally doesn't have her ultra-Islamist goggles on when she treats me, and I don't have my anti-religious goggles on when I treat her either. We treat each other as people.

We are all humans. This is one of the most frequently used phrases in ideological discussions, but it has never resonated with me as much as it does now. Yes, we are all humans first and foremost, not sets of beliefs. Beliefs can reflect parts of a person's character and personality, but they are never the full picture. That fundamentalist Bible thumper who lives down the street may actually have a family he cares about and would give everything for. That niqabi ultra-fundamentalist Muslim woman may have a family that means everything to her. That fervent anti-theist may have a partner that they can give up their life for. There is more to a lot of people than meets the eye, especially when that eye sees things through an ideological lens rather than an objective one.

*gets off soapbox and gives a philanthropic hug to everyone*

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Great post. Politics and religion can make some people say some strange and extreme things. But your aunt sounds like her humanity overrides her ideology in dealing with people. I wish this were true of ISIS soldiers.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Reminds me of a t-shirt I saw once. Don't worry so much about what people think - they don't do it very often. Put another way, ideologies, when not translated into meaningful consequences like behavior, don't mean much.