• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Warning! Garlic Mustard Crisis!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Greetings fellow gardeners/landscapers! I urge all throughout the US & Canada to google "garlic mustard" to learn about this invasive scurge, & the damage it is doing to native flora & fauna. At my place here in Revoltistan (currently in hostile occupation of SE Michigan), this pungent weed is one of the first to emerge when the snow clears. It out-competes the native plants, reducing food for bugs, birds & other critters. It has the potential to greatly reduce both plant & animal diversity, & it is taking over with alarming speed.

Research is being done to find a natural enemy of garlic mustard, & some foes have been found, but they want to test some more before implementing a solution. Until then, there are some steps you can take to kill it, but I'll leave that to the websites devoted to the topic. My approach is to use a 1% glyphosphate solution on the rosettes just after the snow melts, which kills the garlic mustard, but leaves the other dormant desirable plants safe. Then throughout the year, I'll use a stronger solution on survivors, or cut'm off at the ground. Caution! Cut/pulled plants should be burned instead of composted, since the seeds can last up to 10 years.

One last tip: For fans of The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror series, it helps to chant "Die! Die! Everybody die!" while you work.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
We hve dandelions, first to appear in the Spring, but they don't sound like quite as much problem as your weed.

I was kind of hoping this would be a discussion about a condiment. :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We hve dandelions, first to appear in the Spring, but they don't sound like quite as much problem as your weed.

I was kind of hoping this would be a discussion about a condiment. :)

Garlic mustard does smell pretty good. There are uses for it, but I've no hope that over-harvesting will cure the problem. I wonder if it could do something for bacon?

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Garlic mustard sounds like it might taste good. I am going to have to hope this plant thrives so that we may one day see a spice made from it at our local dollar store.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Garlic mustard sounds like it might taste good. I am going to have to hope this plant thrives so that we may one day see a spice made from it at our local dollar store.

It's doing far better than just thriving....it's killing off phlox, may apples, trilliums, & a bunch of other native flora, including some trees (as seedlings). That signals doom for the critters who depend upon those plants too. I'd hate to see our forests become a lot less interesting.

Last edited:

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
hot_garlic_mustard.jpg