• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vedic Period, Pre-Vedic Period and Post-Vedic Period

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
Let me admit it frankly, Ya'quub, you and Smart_Guy seem to be the only intelligent Muslims on this forum. I respect you. (There may be others too, but I visit Islam forum very rarely).

:) There has been no break either in the Vedic or the indigenous traditions of Hinduism. Both have chugged along together since times immemorial.

Not sure I'm that smart, but thank you for the compliment! I respect you too (and have a lot of respect for the various traditions of southern Asia too).

Yes, I'm not aware of any break in these traditions either :)

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The contents of the Vedas are considered eternal because men didn't create them; they were revealed. These revealed hymns were spoken and passed orally for a very long time before anyone compiled them into specific books. There are no authors other than God.
As far as I know, it is very great Hindu personalities in history such as Shankaracharya who explain that the Vedas are eternal. He is one who is considered to be Realised/Enlightened.

It is not necessary for the Vedic hymns themselves to mention that they are eternal truths. It would not serve as proof if they did.

One may like to read post #105, for Vedas not eternal being eternal. @Aupmanyav also states that his great-grand father wrote a portion of a Hymn of Veda. It cannot be eternal. If yes, in what sense, please.
Regards

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
One may like to read post #105, for Vedas not eternal being eternal. @Aupmanyav also states that his great-grand father wrote a portion of a Hymn of Veda. It cannot be eternal. If yes, in what sense, please.
Regards

I'm not sure if I agree that there are real contradictions in the Vedas. Someone would need to provide me with quotes and context.
But I don't see how Jai's post invalidates the Vedas?

Can you link me to where Aup talks about his grandfather writing a hymn for the Vedas?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I'm not sure if I agree that there are real contradictions in the Vedas. Someone would need to provide me with quotes and context.
But I don't see how Jai's post invalidates the Vedas?
Can you link me to where Aup talks about his grandfather writing a hymn for the Vedas?

@Aupmanyav to tell again as to which hymn of Veda it was. Please
Regards

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Oh sure, I am the in-house RigVeda expert.I can explain it quite easily. If you have more questions, kindly feel free to check with me.

There are real contradictions in Vedas. For example, the Hiranyagrbha Sukta says that the Supreme God arose out of a golden Egg, Nasadiya Sukta says Gods arose after creation of the world. But this is natural. RigVeda hymns were written by more than a thousand rishis and rishikas (ladies) and every one did not have the same views.

I referred to my great-grandfather in fun, but it is true that my progenitor, the sage whose name my family carries, Upamanyu, wrote part of one hymn in RigVeda. Upamanyu was in the line of Sage Vasishtha and a whole book of RigVeda consists of hymns written by the Vasishthas, that is, book number 7.

Vedas.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigveda#Rishis

Vedas are a compilation. All known hymns gathered together, old and those which were composed in various later times (perhaps till around 1000 BC). It has not been edited. The compilers generally went by the name of the family to whom the rishi belonged. Furthermore, the hymns are not arranged chronologically because no one knew when the hymns were composed. So each book contains older as well as newer hymns.

There is nothing new in what I am saying. If anyone goes through Wikipedia pages on Vedas, all this information is available there.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
There are real contradictions in Vedas. For example, the Hiranyagrbha Sukta says that the Supreme God arose out of a golden Egg, Nasadiya Sukta says Gods arose after creation of the world. But this is natural. RigVeda hymns were written by more than a thousand rishis and rishikas (ladies) and every one did not have the same views.

That isn't a contradiction. God and gods are different things. God is the source of the gods. And I think it says in the text that the Supreme God IS Hiranyagarbha; not that the Supreme God is created from the egg.

I referred to my great-grandfather in fun

Ah ok, that makes sense. Hopefully this is cleared for you, @paarsurrey

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I do not think my great-great-grandfather will be angry by the reference. Probably he would smile and be happy that one of his descendants is talking about him and his hymn even after more than 3,000 years. I think you do not know how much old people delight in their progeny. You are not at fault because your book does not understand fun, it is always dictatorial. If you have some fun probably your God will send you to eternal hell. :)

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Was he making fun of his great-grand-father or the Veda or of himself? It is not clear.
Regards

He was making a joke, Paar. His great grandfather did not write any hymn in the Vedas. A sage with his family name is known to have compiled a hymn thousands of year ago, so he made a joke that it was his ancestor. Does that make sense?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
He was making a joke, Paar. His great grandfather did not write any hymn in the Vedas. A sage with his family name is known to have compiled a hymn thousands of year ago, so he made a joke that it was his ancestor. Does that make sense?
I think it was not an occasion of a Joke. For jokes there is another sub-forum. Right? Please
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
That isn't a contradiction. God and gods are different things. God is the source of the gods. And I think it says in the text that the Supreme God IS Hiranyagarbha; not that the Supreme God is created from the egg.
Thanks for giving the correct concept of Veda. Veda tells about G-d not about no-God.
Regard

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

If one happens to quote from Veda a chapter/verse, please don't forget to mention if it belongs to Pre-Migaration of the Vedic people or to the post-migration of the Vedic people to the Indian-sub-Continent, as the Chapters of the Veda are not in any chronological order and or under any other system/order. Please

Regards

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

One may like to read post #24 in another thread which is relevant here also. Please
Regrds

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
One may like to read post #56 in another thread but very much related to this one. Please do read it as it proves that Veda/Yajurveda was never eternal. Right? Please
Regards
No, quite wrong really.

You can hardly hope to have "proved" anything regarding Hindu concepts.

Not that you ever had a chance, mind you. That you even make the attempt shows how little grasp of the ideas involved you have.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
No, quite wrong really.

You can hardly hope to have "proved" anything regarding Hindu concepts.

Not that you ever had a chance, mind you. That you even make the attempt shows how little grasp of the ideas involved you have.

I can't like this enough. :)

giphy.gif