• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Towards a rational faith and religion

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
No. There are many overlapping elements and traits between early Buddhism and Theravada Buddhism, but they are not one and the same.

Where have you obtained your understanding of "early Buddhism"? Is it just from reading suttas or from a particular teacher or school, or what?

Last edited by a moderator:

buddhist

Hi buddhist,

It is true that the Buddha did not speak either way about a Creator deity. And I agree, he certainly avoided metaphysical discussion in order to help people focus on what truly matters: the cessation of dissatisfaction or suffering. I do see what you are getting at now. Thanks for explaining.

For me personally, though, the term Creator is too loaded to be meaningful. I prefer to think of my practice more directly, in terms of mind, awareness, wisdom, and compassion.
You're right, the word "Creator" does have a loaded meaning; perhaps you might have a better word for what I described?

Metaphysical conjectures lead to clinging and increased suffering, instead of release, as the Buddha taught. I don't think we would can truly know the answers to these metaphysical questions until we reach arahantta, and when we do, we probably won't even care what those answers were. :)

buddhist

Indeed.

I take one of the first kensho experiences occurs during the first time one's fanny hits the cushion and starts counting breaths. The reality concerning one's mind reveals itself.

I still remember musing on how incredibly noisy my mind was, and figured the reason why I couldn't concentrate well was because of all that racket going on!

Explained a fair portion of my anxiety.

Here I was blaming it all on drinking bad coffee! =0)
Thanks for sharing your experience ... I experienced similarly; it's difficult to separate the consciousness from the mind & thoughts. I find that the more I train, the easier it becomes.

buddhist

They're not practices, they're qualities of mind to be developed.
https://suttacentral.net/en/an2.31
Yes, I understand that, and thank you for sharing the sutta. As I stated, samatha "describes the practice"; it is not the practice itself. I see it as describing the quality of mind developed in specific practices commonly called "samatha meditation". I use the word expediently, much like the Buddha expediently used the word "self".

buddhist

Do you have any contact with teachers or others following a similar path?
My foremost teachers are samsara-reality and its laws (the Dhamma itself), and Buddha's expositions on the Dhamma in the Nikayas. I unfortunately do not currently have direct personal contact with anyone known to be in the Ariya Sangha.

May I ask, are you Buddhist as well? You seem to have experience with it!

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
May I ask, are you Buddhist as well?

Yes, I've been involved in most of the main traditions over a long period of time. In recent years it has been mainly with Thai Forest and Samatha Trust, which are Theravada schools.

I think it might be helpful for you to have some real-world contact with other Buddhists, probably one of the Theravada schools would be a good fit. The suttas are a great resource but it's useful to discuss their meaning and application, and get advice from more experienced practitioners.

buddhist

Yes, I've been involved in most of the main traditions over a long period of time. In recent years it has been mainly with Thai Forest and Samatha Trust, which are Theravada schools.

I think it might be helpful for you to have some real-world contact with other Buddhists, probably one of the Theravada schools would be a good fit. The suttas are a great resource but it's useful to discuss their meaning and application, and get advice from more experienced practitioners.
I agree ... I have not been able to find many serious practitioners where I am, however. Most are cultural Buddhists, especially of the Mahayana or Vajrayana sects. I have great respect for the Kammatthana/Thai Forest tradition, I find that they are closest to my understanding of early Buddhism.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
paarsurrey said:
"Towards a rational faith and religion"

The more appropriate would be "towards a truthful faith and religion". The truthful one has to be a rational faith or religion, it cannot be otherwise. Am I right? Please
Regards
We have no means of knowing.
We do have such means, in fact.
The Truth did reveal itself to such men of good characters known world-wide like Buddha, Krishna, Moses, Zoroaster, Jesus, Socrates, Muhammad and Mirza Ghulam Ahmad 1835-1908, so they became enlightened, the Torch-Bearers of Truth. We cannot reject their testimony.
Regards

buddhist

The humans have been endowed with wisdom, so the ONE who endowed the wisdom to humans must be absolute Wise. Right? Please.
Regards
Perhaps. I would say that the "One" (as you call it), is simply the collective consciousness of all volitional beings, yet it also transcends that collective. Likened in human terms, a man is both the collective of his individual cells, yet he also transcends that collective.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Perhaps. I would say that the "One" (as you call it), is simply the collective consciousness of all volitional beings, yet it also transcends that collective. Likened in human terms, a man is both the collective of his individual cells, yet he also transcends that collective.
I mean the ONE who caused all volitional beings to exist while no-one other caused Him to exist. Please
Regards

buddhist

I mean the ONE who caused all volitional beings to exist while no-one other caused Him to exist. Please
Regards
I do not believe in a Creator deity with an independent intelligence or consciousness - that is, a deity which exists apart from its creation. I believe I explained this in my original post. :) We as (apparently) finite creatures in creation, are also inextricably infinite and one with the collective creator. We also possess the ability to transcend creation and creator.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I do not believe in a Creator deity with an independent intelligence or consciousness - that is, a deity which exists apart from its creation. I believe I explained this in my original post. :) We as (apparently) finite creatures in creation, are also inextricably infinite and one with the collective creator. We also possess the ability to transcend creation and creator.
It is a wrong notion. Sorry, I differ with you. Please
Regards