• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

top three most significant UK Prime Ministers?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I think these are the top three most significant UK Prime Ministers:
  1. Churchill
  2. Attlee
  3. Thatcher
Churchill first because he secured the UK's existence

Attlee because he introduced the National Health Service and the welfare state

And Thatcher because she transformed the UK by dismantling the post-war consensus and saved The Falklands

That's what I think anyway :)

libre

Skylark
The leaders that stick out to me as influential below.
  1. Margaret Thatcher
    • Lead the most successful attack on the welfare state in the western world.
    • The best Provisional IRA recruiter the provos ever could've asked for
  2. Winston Churchill
    • A warmonger that happened to live the one time that the allied powers really needed a warmonger.
    • A racist who wrote some truly horrid drivel on the British colonization of India as well as the British empire more broadly.
    • Surprisingly a supporter of Irish reunification in opposition to ulster unionists, which I respect him for.
  3. Neville Chamberlain
    • Appeased the Nazis to the point I don't think it's unfair to categorize it as collaboration.
    • Made several concessions to the Irish out of incompetency during treaty negotiations. (Which I am happy about).
  4. Honourable mention: Tony Blair
    • When the Good Friday Agreement came along he had the good sense to take the opportunity presented to him.
    • Got the UK into Iraq, blemishing what could have been a transition to a more peaceful foreign policy.