• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Threats of death and violence to women in politics (Feminist Only)

Laika

Premium Member
I saw this article in the guardian and felt it was worth sharing:

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...ence-common-for-women-in-politics-report-says

This is still a small study but illustrates a much larger problem regarding abuse and harrasment of female politicians. Fortunately 80% of those interviewed said it would not deter them for running for office in another term. Thats still pretty remarkable under the circumstances.

Any thoughts?

[p.s. This is in the Feminist sub-forum]

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I read an article recently from a journalist speculating upon how the deterioration of internet culture has spilled into politics this cycle more than ever. The tale is, as I said, speculative, but I also think there is probably something to it. The internet have provided a safehaven for bullies and bigots, and worse, with a vector for harassment of their targets that is largely free of appropriate consequences. Women in particular have been targeted by internet trolls, whether they are political figures or otherwise. Something needs to be done about this disgusting culture, but I don't know what that solution looks like. Right now, the best we can do is call out crap like that for what it is, and not feed it.

rocala

The internet have provided a safehaven for bullies and bigots, and worse,
I 100% agree. However so has the development of film, postal services and the printing press. The problem of male violence to women is both old, deep and all pervasive. The internet is but it's latest social manifestation.

Laika

Premium Member
I read an article recently from a journalist speculating upon how the deterioration of internet culture has spilled into politics this cycle more than ever. The tale is, as I said, speculative, but I also think there is probably something to it. The internet have provided a safehaven for bullies and bigots, and worse, with a vector for harassment of their targets that is largely free of appropriate consequences. Women in particular have been targeted by internet trolls, whether they are political figures or otherwise. Something needs to be done about this disgusting culture, but I don't know what that solution looks like. Right now, the best we can do is call out crap like that for what it is, and not feed it.

Thanks for the link to the article. :)

When I was on Revleft (forum for the far left), they did actually police posts based on the political nature of its content. I remember that people would get banned for expressing pro-life positions (along with supporting anarcho-primitivism, north korea among other things). The big problem with this was completely at the discretion of the admins and there was no list of views that were banned. So new members fell foul of it and would "protest" until they "disappeared".

Nor did it really improve the forums content as older, active members would get banned, so old threads are sort of life grave yards with lists of members being banned or restricted. Revleft is not very active, constantly short of funds and often has members split away to form their own micro-forums that never go anywhere. This isnt a model I'd reccommend but I felt it was worth mentioning. From the admins point of view, this is more likely a problem that will only be managed rather than solved.