• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Those who pay for education should consider the benefits of a bonus system for students.

Greatest I am

Those who pay for education should consider the benefits of a bonus system for students.

We have been watching the Canadian and U.S. national level of education stall in the doldrums, as compared to other nations. Not shamefully so but irritatingly so. We need to reverse this slow slide.

We, Western citizens of rich nation, are not serving our students well. We pay our teachers; we should consider paying our students, --- who, --- after a good service rendered by the system, --- a passing grade and more, --- would decide to pay their teachers in an appropriate way, by merit, a worthy amount. Teachers will make more in salary, once the low achievers drop out, and students will pay less, as their productivity increases.

I think this beats indebting our students for years, as we are doing now.

A bonus system, similar to that used in the work force would encourage students to learn better as well as having teachers organize better. All sales and human resource oriented people, as well as those who have worked in a bonus system will agree; a bonus system produces better results and productivity in the personnel than just a straight pay cheque.

That fact, should tell all who pay for education, including students, that the best use of our hard earned money, --- is not to give it to teachers while indebting students, --- but to recognize that the thing to do, is to give it to the students, --- in a bonus system. That system would range from the low achievers paying full price, to the high achievers paying nothing.

We already have this type of a program, for high achievers. They are given bursaries, grants, and scholarships. With this system already in place we can expand it to represent all students at all levels of education from daycare on up.

If we refuse to reward learning for all students, the doldrums of our education levels will eventually position us in a whirlpool, in terms of world level education. Not a very smart thing for a nation to do.

I hope you recognize the logic and reason of such a bonus system, and more importantly, recognize the benefits and savings that it would yield to all students and tax payers.

Do you see the benefits?

Regards

DL

The problem about paying teachers based on the results of students is that you create an incentive for them to design courses and assessments around wage maximisation rather than educational best practice.

The problem would better be solved by getting fewer people to go to university and having more apprenticeships across the board. People can learn more on the job in most industries than in a classroom, and will earn a wage rather than accruing debt.

The main reason to go to university for many people is simply that if they don't they can't get a good job. Get rid of that necessity then you give people more options.

There is still a place for universities, but they should be by no means (near) ubiquitous for people looking to be employed in many fields. Those who do go to uni could be better subsidised, and those who don't would not be unnecessarily disadvantaged.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
The student in me would agree. But the adult me is a little unsure.

Grade based wages for teachers is not a good idea. Maybe we should instead look at what Finland or Sweden or Germany or Denmark is doing and see if we could implement some of their strategies. I mean them ******** are always near the top of the Worldwide education stats.
Surely they're doing something right!

Australian education seems to waffle around bordering on useless, much to the dismay of my family. Who happen to educators in some capacity or another.

Last edited:

suncowiam

I don't know what grades you were alluding to but many of the grades before college are more based on parent involvement. Having a grade based pay would be very unfair to teachers who teach in low-income areas where there tend to be less involvement and focus on education from the parents.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
High education where I live pays me to study with them (within some regulations, of course). Thanks to that, I graduated from the English department with good English skills.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Bonus schemes for teachers won't work. It is a way to ensure that teachers refuse to teach the 'difficult' students and concentrate their efforts on the willing students.

This has been proven in medical circles, where doctors refuse to operate on difficult conditions (That may lead to fatalities) which then lead to poor performance figures for the doctor, the department and the hospital. So doctors risk assess the patients before operating and keep their performance figures high.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

The problem about paying teachers based on the results of students is that you create an incentive for them to design courses and assessments around wage maximisation rather than educational best practice.

The problem would better be solved by getting fewer people to go to university and having more apprenticeships across the board. People can learn more on the job in most industries than in a classroom, and will earn a wage rather than accruing debt.

The main reason to go to university for many people is simply that if they don't they can't get a good job. Get rid of that necessity then you give people more options.

There is still a place for universities, but they should be by no means (near) ubiquitous for people looking to be employed in many fields. Those who do go to uni could be better subsidised, and those who don't would not be unnecessarily disadvantaged.

Exactly. This is why I was elated to hear Hillary's comments last night about moving towards a society that doesn't all but require a four-year degree for people to secure solid, middle-class careers.

Greatest I am

I like your view of apprentice programs.

To your first.
If the wage maximization also sends us to the top of the world statistics then that is a good thing.

That rating is what would be maximizing the pay and students should have no problem paying for the best.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

The student in me would agree. But the adult me is a little unsure.

Grade based wages for teachers is not a good idea. Maybe we should instead look at what Finland or Sweden or Germany or Denmark is doing and see if we could implement some of their strategies. I mean them ******** are always near the top of the Worldwide education stats.
Surely they're doing something right!

Australian education seems to waffle around bordering on useless, much to the dismay of my family. Who happen to educators in some capacity or another.

"Grade based wages for teachers is not a good idea."

I agree and a high grade would not be what would bring in the larger pay. Local grades mean nothing to the wolrds standard and a higher grade in that is what would create the higher grade.

Students would know this and likely fire teachers who would only see their gain as important while just making the student feel good about a meaningless high local grade.

Students do not want a feel good grade. They want a grade that actually means something.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

I don't know what grades you were alluding to but many of the grades before college are more based on parent involvement. Having a grade based pay would be very unfair to teachers who teach in low-income areas where there tend to be less involvement and focus on education from the parents.

No argument but even those parents would be more interested in grades if it meant that they could save some of their education money.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

High education where I live pays me to study with them (within some regulations, of course). Thanks to that, I graduated from the English department with good English skills.

Nice.

All education systems should pay back as a reward to those who keep their nose to the grindstone.

Value for dollar is always the best policy.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

Unless you are self motivated to study, no bonus system is going to help at all.

No argument, but money is a great motivator.

If a teacher cannot motivate their charges then they should not get paid for that failure and the student would soon find that no teacher will take him on unless he smartens up and quits wasting the teachers time and money.

If teachers as well as students are on a bonus system, they will all have a choice of teacher or students and will have the right to refuse to waste their time and money.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

Bonus schemes for teachers won't work. It is a way to ensure that teachers refuse to teach the 'difficult' students and concentrate their efforts on the willing students.

This has been proven in medical circles, where doctors refuse to operate on difficult conditions (That may lead to fatalities) which then lead to poor performance figures for the doctor, the department and the hospital. So doctors risk assess the patients before operating and keep their performance figures high.

They would get higher bonuses for bringing poor students up to par and would be well motivated to do so because of that.

The student body that decides the criteria of the pay and bonus schedule would likely be on guard for the slacker teachers who only take on the easy students. That merit or lack of would be built into the social/education standards the students set.

Regards
DL