• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is not enough erosion of the continents for them to be many 10s of millions of years old.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
this is stup[id reasoning. When you are on your death bed, i hope that you remember this as you contemplate the reality of kaput!
Christians follow the bible because of a lot more than there are many gods...the bible is full of authenitic history and that supports its narrative. The other gods you speak of, none of them as far as i am aware have ever produced anything that certifies the truth of said religions and that is the difference.
yours is a typical argument from someone that wishes to be a naysayer without actually doing any genuine unbiased] in depth study of what they are naysaying against.
The Bible is also full of false history. You know that, or you should know that if you have studied it at all. The problem with the Bible is that it cannot be shown to be any more reliable than other religious beliefs. That raises the question of if there is a god how does one know that one has the right god?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
that argument is like a individual trying to claim that a life of crime doeasnt pay when in fact, in monetry terms, if it didnt pay, who would actually engage in it? (some of the worlds richest men sat/sit at the top of criminal enterprises)
What sort of odd denial is this? I am sorry, but you are making less and less sense. When it comes to the billions of years I can show you various examples of strata of rocks where annual layers of deposits can be counted. One example is of the Green Rive Formation where if one cares to count roughly 5 million years of annual layers can be seen. But you will need a microscope. You do not have to trust me since anyone can do that, Take a sample and prepare it by making a thin section and then count the layers. They are bit too fine to be counted with a hand lens but they would still be visible with one. If you want ones that you can count with the Naked eye there is the Castile Formation. It has up to 260,000 layers of annual evaporite deposits.

1708466367153.png

Note penny for scale. Observing strata like this even before we had radiometric dating allowed early geologists to calculate minimum ages for the earth of at least several hundred million years. Please note in most areas sedimentary rocks do not even reach Cambrian in age. And most of the Earth's history was before that. Radiometric dating allows us to know that the Earth is far older than that. And that evidence is repeatable, the methodology is testable. When it comes to astronomy @Polymath257 can explain how we know that the universe is several times the Earth's age.

Astrophile

"The influence of atmospheric composition on the climates of present‐day and early Earth has been studied extensively, but the role of ocean composition has received less attention. We use the ROCKE‐3D ocean‐atmosphere general circulation model to investigate the response of Earth's present‐day and Archean climate system to low versus high ocean salinity"
This is about the effect of a higher ocean salinity on the Earth's climate during the Archean eon; it has nothing to do with the age of the Earth. By the way, the Archean lasted for about 1530 million years, so the climate, the composition of the atmosphere, the salinity of the oceans and probably the luminosity of the Sun cannot have been constant throughout that time.
It pays to read...rather than selectively scan! It is naturalism that claims the past can be used to study the present...the uniformitarian principle ignores catastrophic events such as a global flood despite evidence that supports it happened
How does this follow from the sentences that you quoted above?

Last edited:

Astrophile

Can you provide any evidence for evolution and billions of years that is logical and scientific and not some hoax or deception?
If you want evidence for the billions of years of Earth's history, you could start by reading The Age of the Earth by G. Brent Dalrymple (Stanford University Press, 1991); you can buy it through the Internet, and it will answer your question much better than I can do. The basic method is the use of radiometric dating (specifically U-Pb and K-Ar or 40Ar-39Ar) of terrestrial rocks and meteorites.

You could also read Principles of Physical Geology (particularly chapters 7 and 13) by Arthur Holmes (Thomas Nelson and Sons Ltd, 1965). This is rather out of date, but since the scientifically measured age of the Earth (4540 million years) has not changed significantly since the 1950s, Principles of Physical Geology is still a useful reference.

Astrophile

Actually i DID make a mistake. I meant to say 6000 feet. I never use the metric system, so I have no idea what that is in terms of metres. You'll have to google it.
One foot is 0.3048 metres, so one metre is approximately 3.2808 feet, and 6000 feet is about 1800 metres.