• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Short-Book Recommendation Thread

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
This thread is for recommending short books, which, for the purpose of this thread, are any books made up of 150 or fewer pages.

I would like to pick up some more books soon, so this thread could prove to be especially useful in that regard given that RF has a lot of avid readers.

I'll start, in alphabetical order:
  • Animal Farm by George Orwell.
  • The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy.
  • The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hanh.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu - I prefer the Wilhelm translation
Free Speech - Andrew Doyle
Illusions - Richard Bach - it's a little over 150 pages, but it's a quick read
Trout Fishing in America - Richard Brautigan
Confederate General from Big Sur - Richard Brautigan, maybe a few pages over 150

This is a good idea for a thread, I'll be thinking of other great, short books!

Heart of darkness by Joseph Conrad (I thought it was about 90 pages but it's actually 144)

I'm really bad at this. Books I genuinely thought were short until I looked them up:

A clockwork orange by Anthony Burgess is about 175
Darkness at noon by Arthur Koestler is 225
A picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde is 250

I give up...

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You might enjoy The Egg by Andy Weir. Kind of a pantheism thought exercise that was interesting even for an atheist like me. And it's only 96 pages.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
d64ce6cc749e11a1b8640399a5209d5a673e8e5a.jpg

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Checking page count I find it varies depending on what release and style of book.

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho 163 pages including the introduction and epilogue. A story about life's journey.
Sexiled by Kaeruda Ameko 174 pages Japanese fantasy light Novel concerning sexism, written because of the real Japanese college scandal, whereas women had to score higher on tests to medical schools then men because of pregnancy bias.

Lots of other good books but all over 200 pages.

JIMMY12345

Bill Browder "Red Notice" re Sergei Magnistsy killed by FSB on Kremlin orders

A real-life political thriller about an American financier in the Wild East of Russia, the murder of his principled young tax attorney, and his dangerous mission to expose the Kremlin's corruption.Bill Browder's journey started on the South Side of Chicago and moved through Stanford Business School to the dog-eat-dog world of hedge fund investing in the 1990s. It continued in Moscow, where Browder made his fortune heading the largest investment fund in Russia after the Soviet Union's collapse. But when he exposed the corrupt oligarchs who were robbing the companies in which he was investing, Vladimir Putin turned on him and, in 2005, had him expelled from Russia. In 2007, a group of law enforcement officers raided Browder's offices in Moscow and stole $230 million of taxes that his fund's companies had paid to the Russian government. Browder's attorney Sergei Magnitsky investigated the incident and uncovered a sprawling criminal enterprise. A month after Sergei testified against the officials involved, he was arrested and thrown into pre-trial detention, where he was tortured for a year. On November 16, 2009, he was led to an isolation chamber, handcuffed to a bedrail, and beaten to death by eight guards in full riot gear. Browder glimpsed the heart of darkness, and it transformed his he embarked on an unrelenting quest for justice in Sergei's name, exposing the towering cover-up that leads right up to Putin. A financial caper, a crime thriller, and a political crusade, Red Notice is the story of one man taking on overpowering odds to change the world.
extract from sales review

JIMMY12345

Bill Bowder Red Notice re Sergei Magnitsy Killed by Kremlin (reason for Sergei Magnitsy act)

A real-life political thriller about an American financier in the Wild East of Russia, the murder of his principled young tax attorney, and his dangerous mission to expose the Kremlin's corruption.Bill Browder's journey started on the South Side of Chicago and moved through Stanford Business School to the dog-eat-dog world of hedge fund investing in the 1990s. It continued in Moscow, where Browder made his fortune heading the largest investment fund in Russia after the Soviet Union's collapse. But when he exposed the corrupt oligarchs who were robbing the companies in which he was investing, Vladimir Putin turned on him and, in 2005, had him expelled from Russia. In 2007, a group of law enforcement officers raided Browder's offices in Moscow and stole $230 million of taxes that his fund's companies had paid to the Russian government. Browder's attorney Sergei Magnitsky investigated the incident and uncovered a sprawling criminal enterprise. A month after Sergei testified against the officials involved, he was arrested and thrown into pre-trial detention, where he was tortured for a year. On November 16, 2009, he was led to an isolation chamber, handcuffed to a bedrail, and beaten to death by eight guards in full riot gear. Browder glimpsed the heart of darkness, and it transformed his he embarked on an unrelenting quest for justice in Sergei's name, exposing the towering cover-up that leads right up to Putin. A financial caper, a crime thriller, and a political crusade, Red Notice is the story of one man taking on overpowering odds to change the world.

JIMMY12345

Bill Bowder Red Notice re Sergei Magnitsy Killed by Kremlin (reason for Sergei Magnitsy act)

This is great book within the pages limit -will keep you up all night!

JIMMY12345

This thread is for recommending short books, which, for the purpose of this thread, are any books made up of 150 or fewer pages.

I would like to pick up some more books soon, so this thread could prove to be especially useful in that regard given that RF has a lot of avid readers.

I'll start, in alphabetical order:
  • Animal Farm by George Orwell.
  • The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy.
  • The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hanh.

Frozen Assets Bill Browder re FSB/Kremlin assignation Sergei Magnitsky re Act

Following his explosive New York Times bestseller Red Notice, Bill Browder returns with another gripping thriller chronicling how he became Vladimir Putin’s number one enemy by exposing Putin’s campaign to steal and launder hundreds of billions of dollars and kill anyone who stands in his way.

When Bill Browder’s young Russian lawyer, Sergei Magnitsky, was beaten to death in a Moscow jail, Browder made it his life’s mission to go after his killers and make sure they faced justice. The first step of that mission was to uncover who was behind the $230 million tax refund scheme that Magnitsky was killed over. As Browder and his team tracked the money as it flowed out of Russia through the Baltics and Cyprus and on to Western Europe and the Americas, they were shocked to discover that Vladimir Putin himself was a beneficiary of the crime.

As law enforcement agencies began freezing the money, Putin retaliated. He and his cronies set up honey traps, hired process servers to chase Browder through cities, murdered more of his Russian allies, and enlisted some of the top lawyers and politicians in America to bring him down. Putin will stop at nothing to protect his money. As Freezing Order reveals, it was Browder’s campaign to expose Putin’s corruption that prompted Russia’s intervention in the 2016 US presidential election.

At once a financial caper, an international adventure, and a passionate plea for justice , Freezing Order is a stirring morality tale about how one man can take on one of the most ruthless villains in the world—and win.Extract sales review