• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Open Secret to Moist & Tender Meat

TurkeyOnRye

Many food addicts will go to great lengths to preserve and enhance the moisture and tenderness of their meats, but it would appear that still few individuals regularly utilize perhaps the most effective means of increasing the moisture and tenderness of their meats.

Brine.

Brining meats dramatically–read: "dramatically"–increases the tenderness and juiciness of cooked meats. For the last several months, I have been perfecting a technique to brine and slow roast pork shoulder. Pork shoulder is a very inexpensive piece of meat, often as low as $1.49 /lb. on sale in my region of the US. And properly prepared, this meat is absolutely bomb.

To simplify things, a good brine consists of four (4) main components:

1. Water
2. Salt (table salt, kosher salt, sea salt et al.)
3. Acid (apple cider vinegar, limes et al.)
4. Various flavor enhancers

Water increases moisture content. Salt and acid help denature proteins, thereby tenderizing the meat.

Brining is very simple. Absurdly simple, in fact! Fair warning: once you start brining your meats, you will likely never go back.

Here is my recipe for brining a beautiful pork shoulder roast:

Once the pork shoulder is done brining, following these instructions for a wonderful honey mustard pork shoulder roast:

1. Remove from brine and pat dry with paper towel
2. Drizzle with canola oil (olive oil would smoke once in the oven).
3. Place brined pork shoulder into a roasting pan or casserole dish uncovered.
4. Roast in oven at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 25-30 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and cover with roasting pan lid or aluminum foil.
6. Place a pan of water in the bottom rack of the oven to increase vapor pressure (and thereby decrease evaporation of moisture from the meat).
6. Return to oven and turn down to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) and slow roast for 5-6 hours.
  • Do not baste
  • Do not remove drippings
  • Do not uncover
  • Do not mess with at all for the entire duration of the slow roasting process!!!!
7. Remove from oven, uncover, and slather with honey mustard sauce (recipe to follow).
8. Return to oven and turn up to 375 degrees (190 degrees C) for about 30 minutes to caramelize honey mustard sauce.
9. Remove from oven and allow to rest at least 20 minutes, covered.
10. "Carve" with fork.

Honey Mustard Recipe:
1 part honey
1 part high quality whole grain/stone ground mustard (Inglehoffer®, Maille® et al.).
Adjust to taste

Enjoy!

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Sounds good. BTW I just noticed your avatar and no offense meant by the turkey reference....

How long do you leave the pork roast in the brine?

Rye_P

Deo Juvante
Watch about brining once - it mentioned about wet and dry brining method. I believe it said that meat with more fat percentage are moist enough and don't need a wet brine, unlike the less-fat-meat like loin.
Since TS believe that wet brine work quite good for pork shoulder that have quite amount of fat inculded, may I ask the reason why?. No offense, just curious.

TurkeyOnRye

Watch about brining once - it mentioned about wet and dry brining method. I believe it said that meat with more fat percentage are moist enough and don't need a wet brine, unlike the less-fat-meat like loin.
Since TS believe that wet brine work quite good for pork shoulder that have quite amount of fat inculded, may I ask the reason why?. No offense, just curious.

I have never done a so-called "dry brine," which could more accurately be referred to as "curing." My impression is that (wet) brining will improve the moisture of meats, regardless of fat content. Rendered fat will indeed make a meat more juicy, but brining it will make it juicier still.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Pork shoulder is a very inexpensive piece of meat, often as low as $1.49 /lb. on sale in my region of the US. And properly prepared, this meat is absolutely bomb.

To simplify things, a good brine consists of four (4) main components:

1. Water
2. Salt (table salt, kosher salt,
Blasphemy!!!

Rye_P

Deo Juvante
I have never done a so-called "dry brine," which could more accurately be referred to as "curing." My impression is that (wet) brining will improve the moisture of meats, regardless of fat content. Rendered fat will indeed make a meat more juicy, but brining it will make it juicier still.

Pardon for my rudeness, but curing may refer to both dry and wet brining, thus its not the appropriate term (as what I've watched before).
And still, I believe that fat amount in meat will make the salt absorb harder in case of wet brining. But oh well, I will try to find a proper source and return here after that. A battle of opinion won't lead to anywhere.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I've always resorted to a lower temperature/longer cook time to make meats tender and moist. When I make a roast, I have to start it no later than late morning/early afternoon because I cook it for no less than eight hours, and when it's done you don't need a knife, and even a fork can make it fall to pieces.