• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kindness Box

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindness helping hand -

How important is kindness? In a 2003 study of 37 cultures around the world, 16,000 subjects were asked about their most desired traits in a mate. For both sexes, the first preference was kindness!

People want to be treated kindly but have a harder time being kind themselves. A large-scale study of school bullies was recently conducted to learn why they bully other kids. The conclusion? Most do it because they enjoy doing it.

This illustrates how cruel, mean and sadistic raw human nature is. Kindness must be learned, and many children are not being taught it.

In fact, much of the media they're exposed to teaches the opposite. Violence and other terrible influences in media entertainment cause people to become desensitized and calloused toward the needs and feelings of others.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindness includes simple courtesy, but it is much more significant. The improve group Improve Everywhere understands this about kindness. Improve Everywhere does humorous, ridiculous and sometimes profound theatrical flash mobs designed to entertain and bring joy to the masses, as well as send meaningful messages. One of their purposeful improvisations, “Welcome Back,” included the random act of kindness of greeting complete strangers at the airport.

The group rallied at the JFK Airport and found taxi drivers who had signs held up for their customers, and they made their own signs welcoming the person home and joined the driver for a greeting their customer would not soon forget. When the person arrived, a huge crowd holding banners and yelling, “Welcome back!” would welcome them home. They would give the unsuspecting recipient of this kindness flowers, chocolates and balloons making him or her feel welcomed, loved and a little like a rock star. At first, the recipients would be confused, not too sure of what to do with the extravagance, but then they would be grateful and appreciative of the kindness and grace they had experienced from their new friends.

All the best!

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
A little story to set the mood: When I was in high school, I remember having a bad day because someone said something that wasn’t exactly nice that really hurt my feelings. If you’ve met me, I enjoy talking (sometimes a bit too much) and was often outgoing in a classroom setting. But after the incident, I was sitting in my calculus class pretty silently. After the lesson, my calculus teacher pulled me aside, asked what was wrong, and then gave me a piece of advice that I’ve never forgotten.

He told me that when we’re feeling down in life and think we have nothing to give, try to be kind because it’s the only thing that doubles when we share it. That day, his kindness made me feel better, and maybe it felt good to him, too. I guess he was right—kindness does double when we share it. But what exactly is the science behind kindness, and how do we practice being kind? Let’s learn more below.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
If you want to become wealthy, there are certain things you must understand and certain things you must do. First, you must understand what kind of wealth you’re pursuing and how the economy functions that generates this wealth. Second, you must wisely invest the required resources in order to realize an increase of the wealth the economy produces. These principles hold true whether you’re pursuing wealth in God’s economy or in the world’s economies.

Now, the kind of wealth God’s economy produces and the kind of wealth the world’s economies produce are very different. The former makes us “enriched in every way to be generous in every way” (2 Corinthians 9:11), while the latter threatens to pierce us with “many pangs” (1 Timothy 6:10) and even to steal our soul (Matthew 16:26).

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindness volunteer stories

Oftentimes, we may hear or read quotes related to kindness telling us to “be kind” or “show kindness.” However, it may be difficult to know in what ways to express kindness or if our kindness truly affects others. In light of Random Acts of Kindness Day coming up on Feb. 17, I talked with some students and staff at Hope who impact others with their kindness, and, in turn, whose lives have been influenced by the kindness of others. Through their anecdotes, they provide new perspectives on how to approach kindness.

First, I talked to Natalie Ginestre (’27), a freshman at Hope who has been involved in Volunteer Services since October of 2023. Ginestre shared a favorite memory from volunteering at Hope and noted how kindness played a huge role in the experience. “I really liked Hope Serves,” she told me. “For an entire morning, groups of students could sign up to volunteer at different sites in the area. It was really fun, you could pick what you were interested in, and they would pair you with a site. I ended up volunteering at Compassionate Heart Ministries – a place where people with mild to moderate disabilities participate in activities and socialization together in a Christ-centered community.” Through talking with Ginestre, it was clear that her volunteering experiences harbored long-lasting kindness in her life.

Read more stories here -

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The generous donations Project Kindness receives help to fund the many awesome initiatives that we’ve implemented. From regular food deliveries to those who are living below the poverty line to our incredible Kindness Cupboards packed with food, toiletries and other basic necessities, you can find a piece of Project Kindness just about anywhere in Sydney.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Joyful generosity

"Thoughts disentangle themselves - over the lips and through the fingertips."

I learned that saying over thirty years ago, and just about every time I put it to the test, it works! Whenever I have difficulty comprehending the complicated or clarifying the complex, I talk it out or write it out. This is especially helpful when it comes to scriptural truth. For some strange reason the human brain seems reluctant to retain divine information simply by hearing it.

Take the importance of joy, for example—or, more specifically, giving joyfully to God. Second Corinthians 9:7 says: “Let each one do just as he has purposed in his heart; not grudgingly or under compulsion; for God loves a cheerful giver.”

Look again at those final five words: “God loves a cheerful giver.” The original meaning of the word translated here as “cheerful” is hilarious, and this is the only time it’s found in the New Testament. It’s the hilarious giver God prizes.

Enjoy your browsing!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
bible-verses-helping-others10-1626799250.jpg

Loads more at that site -

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
"The first element of true love is loving kindness. The essence of loving kindness is being able to offer happiness. You can be the sunshine for another person. You can’t offer happiness until you have it for yourself. So build a home inside by accepting yourself and learning to love and heal yourself. Learn how to practice mindfulness in such a way that you can create moments of happiness and joy for your own nourishment. Then you have something to offer the other person."

Comes from this page -

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kids making a difference

When it comes to making this world a better place, we can learn a thing or two from our children. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of some of the most influential young trailblazers across the world, whose talents include advocating against climate change and fighting for the right to education, to name a few. From activists to investors – this list includes just a handful of the young change-makers that have paved the way for many generations to come. If these inspiring stories don’t get you moving, we don’t know what will!

Also a couple of videos - remind me to paste a couple in here!

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
There are a lot of things that fill us with hope for the future: Technology, science, ethical and accountable leaders, nonprofits, and even mission-driven corporations committed to doing good. But there are few things that give us more hope for the future than young people.

In the age of information and technology, young people come face-to-face daily with problems not of their own making: climate change, injustices, student loan debt, mental health stigma, corrupt leaders and corporations, and more.

And yet, in the face of those problems — perhaps more than any other generation — they've committed to working towards solutions. They're fighting for action on climate change, equitable access to technology in schools, environmental justice, creating medical technologies, companies, and nonprofit organizations to meet needs in their own communities. They're fighting polarization and misinformation, and advocating for equal rights for all.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindness articles for students

We've all been that kid at one time or another: the new kid in class, the shy or uneasy child reaching out to make new friends, the new kid in the neighborhood. And as parents, we all hope our child will be the one to offer up a smile and welcoming hello to break the ice.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Books to teach kindness

Teaching kindness to children is an important skill to build and reinforce at all ages. Young children can learn how small acts of kindness help and please others, but teens can learn broader, larger concepts grounded in morals and ethics.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
In your quest of mastering how to be happy, you might find that being kind to others is the way to go. A study at Oxford University found that being kind does in fact make you slightly happier. It’s believed that humans help others because we’re social animals. We evolved that way. So maybe our acts of kindness are also beneficial for evolutionary reasons as well. While a kind act doesn’t cause a big boost in happiness (despite what some reports claim) it can still be beneficial to do. For example, your kind act towards another may help you build a stronger relationship with them. So be kind if happiness is on your mind.

Many more tips on this page -

Huge site - try - declutterthemind.com happiness

Enjoy your browsing!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Many are familiar with the Dalai Lama’s words "My religion is kindness."

I'm excited to share a recent chat I had with Father Gregory Boyle. In this conversation, we talk about how we struggling humans can learn to cherish one another.

Together, we also explored the relationship between boundaries and compassion; the unshakeable goodness at our core; how we belong to each other, and how judgments arise from delusion and blind us to the blessing of that belonging.

Comes from Tara Brach email​