• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Aztecs Worsip

Montezuma

Hello to you all I really don't now where to begin..! :sarcastic
A 1 year ago I somehow began to interest in the Aztecs and when I got deeper more and more than I become interested in their worship (not the human sacrifice! in general...) and their faith, I was really fascinated from their faith, and until now!!

I read a lot of materials about the Aztecs but I couldn't find anything about the Aztecs and their worship today!! Except one site... (name: "amoxtli")

I really want get in to this religion but don't know how.. :confused::confused::confused:
I tried to find another "Aztecs" in this time but I didn't find... but I that they are somewhere but don't know how to contact them...

Please help me if you can and know something about..!!! :help::help::help:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
The Aztec civilization was pretty thoroughly destroyed by the Conquistadors. I'd be highly skeptical of any group claiming to preserve it.

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
That's actually a pretty cool site. Not just for those interested in Aztec religion but sensible approaches to reconstruction generally. I am not into reconstruction personally, but I respect his attitude. I also like the term UPG (unsubstantiated personal gnosis) to distinguish between what one may do as part of a tradition and what one actually does, although I have seen that term in use among recons on the web for some time now. His links section has other blogs.

I have seen some sketchy things, like people trying to make some weird personal form of Palo with Aztec trappings.. seems like a bad idea. I think you found the good link. And as far as a non-reconstructionist view of Aztec beliefs and their preservation... I personally honor and work with an Aztec death goddess whose veneration may have indeed been preserved from the old times, although it looks like the only references to her worship outside of rhetorical sources is to the 1940's. I am speaking of course of Santa Muerte, who I believe (by the medium of UPG) to be in some manner a survival of Mictecacihuatl. But don't take my word for it. Ask her yourself.

Last edited:

Montezuma

Thank you mate! :)

And listen I really want to begin doing a ritual and another things what do you think?? please help!! :help:

I thought to start rewrite a things about the worship and to combine things from another sources like this site..!! Do you think I should do it? :confused:

Please help write a serious replies this is serious for me!!

Thank for all helpers!!

xkatz

Thank you mate! :)

And listen I really want to begin doing a ritual and another things what do you think?? please help!! :help:

I thought to start rewrite a things about the worship and to combine things from another sources like this site..!! Do you think I should do it? :confused:

Please help write a serious replies this is serious for me!!

Thank for all helpers!!

I know the site you linked, as I am quite fond of it. If interested you can join this yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Black_and_Red/; just introduce yourself and ask away :)

If I were you I would look at books. If you are interested in Tezcatlipoca, I would suggest Mockeries and Metamorphoses of an Aztec God: Tezcatlipoca, Lord of the Smoking Mirror. It is pretty much the ultimate book on Tezcatlipoca, and is very well written IMHO.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I would be leery of reconstructionist groups.... don't let enthusiasm run away with common sense and keep your eyes out for "Plastic Shamans".

It's worthwhile to explore, I wish you luck.

Just remember that traditional Aztec religion placed supreme importance on sacrifice... both of the self and material possessions. If they say that you don't need to bleed, you should be suspicious.

wa:do

xkatz

Just remember that traditional Aztec religion placed supreme importance on sacrifice... both of the self and material possessions. If they say that you don't need to bleed, you should be suspicious.

I am rather familiar with the group I linked and the vast majority believe in blood-letting and the majority of members seem to do their homework/research so to speak. But yeah, vigilance is ALWAYS important when you look into a group of people claiming to trying to revive religious practices (along with philosophy and theology) that have been more or less extinct for centuries.

Last edited:

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
good to know...

With many of these groups there is a tendency to fill in gaps with whatever "feels" right and you often end up with a blend of new age and traditional stuff.

So you end up with some groups that are more new age than anything else.