• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sweat Lodges

Is there anybody here who has been through a sweat lodge ceremony?

How popular are they in the U.S. with Native Americans and non Native Americans? I've read that some Native Americans are upset with others
that go through sweat lodges.

If this is a religious ceremony, wouldn't you want to share this powerful experience with everyone?

Anyway, what kind of things do you get out of the sweat lodge? A connection to the past? A renewal?

Thanks

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I haven't been invited to one.

How popular are they in the U.S. with Native Americans and non Native Americans?
They are quite popular with some people and considered an important part to some Nations religious practice.

I've read that some Native Americans are upset with others

If this is a religious ceremony, wouldn't you want to share this powerful experience with everyone?
The issue breaks down to one of respect and the selling of First Nations religion and culture. Selling faith is the closest thing to a cardinal sin as you can get in Native faith.
Having non-nation affiliated people selling a deeply personal part of a Nations spirituality is deeply insulting to the Nation... not to mention the fact that these people are risking the lives of the people they bilk out of money. People die in these false sweat lodges every year or so.

I highly recommend this documentary on the subject.

[youtube]VCLmT_M-qtk[/youtube]
YouTube - White Shamans and Plastic Medicine Men, Part 1 of 3

Anyway, what kind of things do you get out of the sweat lodge? A connection to the past? A renewal?

Thanks
It's deeply personal, no one gets the same thing nor do they share it. Your visions and medicine are to be kept to oneself and not shared.

Hope this helps.
wa:do

I haven't been invited to one.

They are quite popular with some people and considered an important part to some Nations religious practice.

The issue breaks down to one of respect and the selling of First Nations religion and culture. Selling faith is the closest thing to a cardinal sin as you can get in Native faith.
Having non-nation affiliated people selling a deeply personal part of a Nations spirituality is deeply insulting to the Nation... not to mention the fact that these people are risking the lives of the people they bilk out of money. People die in these false sweat lodges every year or so.

I highly recommend this documentary on the subject.

[It's deeply personal, no one gets the same thing nor do they share it. Your visions and medicine are to be kept to oneself and not shared.

Hope this helps.
wa:do

u-na-s-ti-s-gi yu-ne-ga.....;)

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

How popular are they in the U.S. with Native Americans and non Native Americans? I've read that some Native Americans are upset with others

Thanks

A few years ago, I was invited to participate in a sweat carried out by people I believe to be legitimate. Although willing to participate, I ended up not entering the lodge (claustrophobia--if it had only been me and a couple of others in the lodge, I probably could have handled it, but there were a few more than that). I participated by handling the door, bringing water during a break, handing towels as people emerged, etc.

Some seem to have very powerful experiences. Others seem to experience little beyond getting hot and wet.;)

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
The father of a childhood friend (who I deduce to be Kumeyaay but am unsure) had a lodge built out on his land in which he had regular sweats. He invited both native and non-native to participate. It was basically for his family and friends. So when I was old enough I went to a few. I remember feeling very pure afterwords. It definitely influenced me in using saunas or hot baths for personal gnosis. Also, the songs were beautiful. I would feel quite fortunate to be invited to attend another someday, since I think I'd get a lot more out of it now that I'm older. But for the reasons PW has stated I think it most unwise to seek out someone who advertises or otherwise profits from these practices.

I hope the Lakota Nation eventually is successful in their lawsuit against James Arthur Ray. He is set to be sentenced today (by the state of Arizona) for the deaths in that 2009 incident. Hope they throw the book at him.

edit: Only two years, and he still has an appeal coming. Not enough imo.

Last edited:

Nashitheki

Hollawitta
Wonder whatever happened to this faker ? I'll have to look this up. No doubt there are others like him turning a buck, pushing these distorted versions of ancient Indian beliefs.