• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sugar Addictions (Help)

MountainPine

Deuteronomy 30:16
I am heavily addicted to sugar and in dire need of some advice to kick my addiction. It has gotten so out of hand that I find myself eating homemade cake frosting for snack. I have tried eating fruit whenever I had a sugar craving, but it's not working. As a vegan, my diet is healthy—and I'm not overweight or have any health problems—but the sugar cravings are interfering with my ascetic principles and lifestyle. If you can offer me some advice to kick my cravings, big thanks to you!

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
As a vegan, my diet is healthy—

Not true, by your own admission. Sugar is not healthy at all, and the fact that you declare yourself eating healthy is a poor indication of knowledge on it. I'd suggest a nutritional consultation with an expert dietician, for starters. Some blood work, also just to show how much damage the sugar has already done.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have an addiction to food. I am OK if I do not eat, but if I eat, then I want some more. Sugar is the worst for it.

I have recently discovered that sugar causes inflammation. I had a cavity in a wisdom tooth. I knew that sugar caused it pain and the doctor (an Attttttttt female doctor) said to stay away from sugar while I wait for the tooth to be extracted. (If you are wondering, because you love me, how the extraction went, it went perfectly.) That is why I give the doctor (a female) an Atttttttttttttttt.

I can stay away from sugar, but if I eat some, I am as an alcoholic with alcohol. I want more. (I do not put sugar in my coffee.) There is sugar in many things. Bread, ketchup, Chinese food, yogurt, pasta sauce, granola bars, and, of course packaged drinks. Milk has natural sugar, but I drink almond milk with no added sugar.

MountainPine

Not true, by your own admission. Sugar is not healthy at all

I meant to say that my diet is healthy apart from the sugar. I eat an adequate amount of fruit, vegetables, and grains everyday. My biggest sugar source, though, is putting a handful of organic cane sugar in my tea, in which I have been drinking 2-3 cups a day lately. I'm not just hooked on sugar, but also caffeine (from the tea).

Last edited:

MountainPine

I have an addiction to food. I am OK if I do not eat, but if I eat, then I want some more. Sugar is the worst for it.

I have recently discovered that sugar causes inflammation. I had a cavity in a wisdom tooth. I knew that sugar caused it pain and the doctor (an Attttttttt female doctor) said to stay away from sugar while I wait for the tooth to be extracted. (If you are wondering, because you love me, how the extraction went, it went perfectly.) That is why I give the doctor (a female) an Atttttttttttttttt.

I can stay away from sugar, but if I eat some, I am as an alcoholic with alcohol. I want more. (I do not put sugar in my coffee.) There is sugar in many things. Bread, ketchup, Chinese food, yogurt, pasta sauce, granola bars, and, of course packaged drinks. Milk has natural sugar, but I drink almond milk with no added sugar.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I have heard that sugar is more addictive than cocaine, processed sugar that is. Natural sugar found in fruit, syrup, etc. is not dangerous.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Do you mind if I ask: what are your stress levels like? If you are under a lot of stress, or constantly stressed, your body will crave sugar. If you aren't, try things like using one less spoon of sugar in your tea at a time, indulge in incrementally decreasing amounts of frosting, and finding other ways to gradually cut out the sugar. And, it doesn't seem this will be an issue from what you have written, but avoid "diet" products, as they are known for making people crave "real" sugar.
but I have heard that sugar is more addictive than cocaine
Not true. Asides from other issues that typically lead to continued drug use as an escape that develops into drug abuse and addiction, one thing that makes cocaine so addictive is that it floods the brain with dopamine (especially the first time, which ensnares some as they seek to achieve, unsuccessfully, that first time high again). There is also the feeling itself while on coke and some other speeds, which is a feeling of heightened euphoria, determination, unstoppable, and like a million bucks (I avoid speeds I like because I like them too much). Sugar triggers the "reward system" of the brain in a similar manner as coke, but it doesn't come with the feelings of coke, and it just is not nearly as addictive. I've known geekers to search through their carpet looking for tiny crumbs of coke to take, tweakers occasionally mug people and rob stores to fund their fix, and I've never known a sugar addict to go through such extremes to obtain sugar, or experience agonizing withdrawals from stopping usage. Granted sugar is very widely available, so we are not likely to get a chance to see the lengths a sugar addict will go through to obtain sugar, but I just do not think it would be nearly as bad as opioids or the "hard" speeds like coke and meth - probably not even as bad as alcohol. I suspect sugar addiction and withdrawal may be more comparable to nicotine addiction and withdrawal.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
I am heavily addicted to sugar and in dire need of some advice to kick my addiction. It has gotten so out of hand that I find myself eating homemade cake frosting for snack. I have tried eating fruit whenever I had a sugar craving, but it's not working. As a vegan, my diet is healthy—and I'm not overweight or have any health problems—but the sugar cravings are interfering with my ascetic principles and lifestyle. If you can offer me some advice to kick my cravings, big thanks to you!
Peace be on you.
Some possibly helpful resources:
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/583839-home-remedy-to-curb-sugar-cravings/
http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-sugar-addiction

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Have you considered clinical hypnosis?
Hypnosis has very limited capabilities, and it would be a waste of his time and money. If he's already wanting to get over his sugar addiction, there is absolutely nothing hypnosis can do. Unfortunately, mainstream media, charlatans, and "pop-pysch" have given society at large a terrible understanding of hypnosis. It's about as bad as how many people believe the word "ultimate" is synonymous with "supreme," but not nearly as bad because these false ideas about hypnosis have had detrimental consequences for the mental health of many while making quacks and charlatans lavishly wealthy.

VioletVortex

You could have some kind of deficiency in something that may be causing you to crave sugar. You should see a doctor about that. It could probably be fixed with supplements of some sort.

If it isn't, try to ease yourself away from processed sugars, and stick to the sugars present naturally in fruits.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Maybe talk to a dietician. Sugar is itself addictive. Some studies evidenced that it's more addictive than cocaine and lights up the same parts of the brain.

I personally eat a near-zero sugar diet to protect my teeth and for other reasons, but when I was a kid/teen I ate sugar all the time.

Off the top of my head:

-Do you eat enough fat? This was a big problem for a lot of supposedly diet/health foods- they cut the fat as much as possible, but replaced it all with sugar. So like, lowfat yogurt = high sugar yogurt, as an example. To eat low sugar, you still need enough calories and satiety- so you need adequate protein and fat. Many types of fat are healthy- generally the least processed kind, and kinds that were prepared in ancient times and without much heat.

-Are you eating a lot of high glycemic load foods? Sugar itself is incredibly high glycemic, but so are most grains, potatoes, and other starchy foods. You can find lists of high glycemic load foods online for reference (like here), but it's generally related to how much carbs something has compared to how little fiber. When a person eats a lot of high glycemic load foods, they get big blood sugar spikes that result in a crash a couple hours later, resulting in cravings for more carbs/sugar. On the other hand, a low glycemic load diet keeps the blood sugar at a more steady rate through the day without the crashes and cravings. You can buy simple blood sugar test kits online, or you can just make sure to focus on a low glycemic set of foods. If your meals don't keep you feeling satisfied for 5+ hours without needing to snack, there's a good chance that your meals are causing blood sugar spikes/crashes.

-Some fruit has lower sugar than other types. So if you want to eliminate your sugar addiction, consider less sugary fruits like berries as your treat, especially blackberries and wild blueberries, which have fairly low sugar and high fiber so it absorbs more slowly. Some fruits like mangos are really high in sugar.

-As a vegan, you might want to check for nutrtitional deficiencies or consider additional supplementation. There's a high probability that at least some of these nutrients and others are low in your diet unless you are really vigilant to get them: B-vitamins, fat soluble vitamins (retinol, Vitamin D unless you get a lot of sun, Vitamin K2), calcium, zinc, magnesium, iron, and long-chain omega 3 fatty acids. A simple way to balance a vegan diet without artificial supplements is to eat a couple servings of mussels, oysters, and clams per week. They're not vegan, but they don't have centralized nervous systems, and they are high in most of the nutrients that tend to be harder to get on a vegan diet.

MountainPine

Thanks for all your help guys, but I don't really need to see a doctor or a dietitian. The last two mornings I have been eating fruit salad for breakfast and it seems to be keeping my sugar craving at bay. I just wasn't eating enough fruit.

A simple way to balance a vegan diet without artificial supplements is to eat a couple servings of mussels, oysters, and clams per week. They're not vegan, but they don't have centralized nervous systems, and they are high in most of the nutrients that tend to be harder to get on a vegan diet.

With all due respect, vegans are the healthiest people on the planet if they're eating sufficient greens and fruits. You shouldn't be recommending seafood to vegans, especially bivalves. Bivalves are filter feeders, which means you are eating the crap that they ate to filter their habitat. They are far from being a source of any nutrition, except for B12 but how many people normally eat bivalves regularly? Anyone who eats an omnivorous diet is just as at risk for a B12 deficiency as any vegan, but no one ever discusses the B12 issue with the former. It is only ever brought up with vegans and vegetarians. What actually causes a B12 deficiency are intestinal disorders, like Crohn's disease, or liver damage from excessive alcohol consumption. Being a vegan will not cause a B12 deficiency. In fact, the more ROS you have in your body, the less likely your body will use the B12 you consume anyway. So it's important to consume antioxidants in which vegans get more of in their daily diets.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
With all due respect, vegans are the healthiest people on the planet if they're eating sufficient greens and fruits.
Actually, out the cultures that produce the longest living people, most of them sparingly eat meat, and the also consume alcohol in moderation. However, they are also constantly active, with a known trait of theirs being that constant moderate physical activity is an inseparable part of daily life, and perhaps why the 116 year old lady was in the news recently for living that long, even though she claims to start every day with bacon and eggs (she done volunteer work until she was 106).

MountainPine

Actually, out the cultures that produce the longest living people, most of them sparingly eat meat, and the also consume alcohol in moderation. However, they are also constantly active, with a known trait of theirs being that constant moderate physical activity is an inseparable part of daily life, and perhaps why the 116 year old lady was in the news recently for living that long, even though she claims to start every day with bacon and eggs (she done volunteer work until she was 106).

If anyone lives to be a supercentenarian, it isn't because of bacon and eggs, as everyone knows—including those who eat it every morning—that these "foods" are toxic. Don't insult my intelligence by telling me that eating greasy foods that are high in saturated fat and cholesterol will add years to my life. Supercentenarians are very few and far between. What about everyone else? I tell you what, do away with modern medicine and we'll see who lives longer.