• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speaking with Wolves

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
A quick overview of a dream I had a couple nights ago:

Wandering with a group of people with film cameras searching for and filming these wierd dinosaur-styled birds. I deviated from the group when I saw 2 mother wolves lying off to the side with their cubs. They were beautiful, white, and had blue/grey eyes. I sat down and started talking with one of them, who replied. I lay down next to her (the other wolf didn't pay me much attention) and was allowed to (or was it that I wasn't not-allowed...) pick up and pat the cubs, who can't have been more than a week or so old.

At this point I woke up by the neighbour's dogs barking, but when I fell asleep again I had a dream

I woke up and it was dark, I walked outside to ask my flatmate who was going out for a bike ride (which he normally does around lunchtime) what time it was. He replied that it was 8pm and rode away. The front of our house had changed, and there was a porch around the front, and underneath the porch was the two wolves once again with their cubs, and again, I lay down and was conversing with the same one as earlier. Then something off in the darkness made me anxious and I went back inside and I woke up (for real this time - actually left me fair confused for a little while about what time it was :p). I had the distinct impression that the wolves were immensly wise and knowledgeable about pretty much anything

Anyway, question is:

What is the symbology involved with wolves, what messages are given by wolves? Perhaps even in context of the dream.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
A quick overview of a dream I had a couple nights ago:

Wandering with a group of people with film cameras searching for and filming these wierd dinosaur-styled birds. I deviated from the group when I saw 2 mother wolves lying off to the side with their cubs. They were beautiful, white, and had blue/grey eyes. I sat down and started talking with one of them, who replied. I lay down next to her (the other wolf didn't pay me much attention) and was allowed to (or was it that I wasn't not-allowed...) pick up and pat the cubs, who can't have been more than a week or so old.

At this point I woke up by the neighbour's dogs barking, but when I fell asleep again I had a dream

I woke up and it was dark, I walked outside to ask my flatmate who was going out for a bike ride (which he normally does around lunchtime) what time it was. He replied that it was 8pm and rode away. The front of our house had changed, and there was a porch around the front, and underneath the porch was the two wolves once again with their cubs, and again, I lay down and was conversing with the same one as earlier. Then something off in the darkness made me anxious and I went back inside and I woke up (for real this time - actually left me fair confused for a little while about what time it was :p). I had the distinct impression that the wolves were immensly wise and knowledgeable about pretty much anything

Anyway, question is:

What is the symbology involved with wolves, what messages are given by wolves? Perhaps even in context of the dream.

I should know this one, I have a wolf as a spirit animal guide that follows me around everywhere I go. They do come to you in your dreams. They are considered pathfinders as far as I know, they are also very strong protectors. You are being led on a journey whether you believe it or are aware of it or not. Congratulations!:D A wolf as a spirit guide is something many people would want, but not everyone gets. They are very highly revered creatures. In fact, in some cultures, people would actually pray to their gods or the spirits that they too would receive such a powerful animal as a wolf for a personal protector, but it was not always the case. You get what you get or need, not necessarily what you want.

Last edited:

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I should know this one, I have a wolf as a spirit animal guide that follows me around everywhere I go. They do come to you in your dreams. They are considered pathfinders as far as I know, they are also very strong protectors. You are being led on a journey whether you believe it or are aware of it or not. Congratulations!:D A wolf as a spirit guide is something many people would want, but not everyone gets. They are very highly revered creatures. In fact, in some cultures, people would actually pray to their gods or the spirits that they too would receive such a powerful animal as a wolf for a personal protector, but it was not always the case. You get what you get or need, not necessarily what you want.

Cool, thanks alot! :D

Do you think there is particular significance in the level of interaction. i.e. would you say the dream was specific in a message or more general?

(I'm going to guess your answer will be to say that it's a personal one for me to work out :p But I do like to hear input from perspectives I may not have considered ;))

Erebus

For the most part the meaning of a dream depends on how it made you feel, the actual symbolism is secondary in this regard. Different things can have numerous meanings and it's only really possible to interpret them in regards to how they affect the dreamer.

Wolves for example can symbolise:

spiritual guidance/development (as Runewolf said)
Cruelty/pack mentality and unresolved aggression.
Sexual promiscuity (thankyou Freud for eternally tarnishing dreams with your perverse symbolism :cool:).
Protection by others.

From what you said about the pups and about talking with the wolves I would suggest this dream falls under either spiritual guidance, in which case you'd pretty much have to fathom the meaning for yourself, or it represents your desire to protect, to be protected and to nurture others.
On a more cynical note... the barking dog could have caused a canine dream and that's all.

It's very difficult to analyse somebody's dreams without having them with you to talk about it, so I'm sorry for these very vague descriptions.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Cool, thanks alot! :D

Do you think there is particular significance in the level of interaction. i.e. would you say the dream was specific in a message or more general?

(I'm going to guess your answer will be to say that it's a personal one for me to work out :p But I do like to hear input from perspectives I may not have considered ;))

I can tell you how the wolf came to me. When I was younger I always kept having these dreams about wolves. One dream in particular I had was where I was in a wooded area walking down a path and being followed by a pack of wolves. I eventually reached a gate and went through it. At that point in my dream, I seen there was a man wielding an axe above this wolf that was chained to the ground. This really bothered me, I did not want him to kill the wolf. Then as the man was just about to go swing the axe at the wolf, I saw right in front of my eyes, a blue and silver cross (the same one that my Mom had given me earlier that week as a gift). As if almost instantly, the cross in front of my eyes exploded in a giant burst. That was the end of that dream. Anyways, what I think that dream was trying to tell me was that I was being led on a journey. That spiritual journey was not going include anything to have to do with Christianity or the Cross. It showed me that Christianity was not the right path for me.

I had probably four or five different dreams about wolves so far. Bears too, but that's another story...Anyways, it seemed that in each of my dreams about wolves I felt as though they were always after me, hunting me down or chasing me. I was always very scared of them. Then I had this one dream where I was sitting by a camp fire when suddenly as if out of nowhere a huge wolf lunged straight on top of me. I fought with it for a minute or two, trying to get it off. Next thing I know, there I was sitting by the fire again and the wolf was sitting peacefully right next to me as if it were my best friend and companion. Like we knew each other from years before even. That was a rather amazing dream, so vivid.:)

Anyways, I believe that in time, the answers to your dream will come clear, the message will be known to you. I will meditate on it and see if I come up with anything for you.

Last edited:

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Thanks for sharing yours, Runewolf!

I'm generally one to regard dreams fairly highly, and I think they can be wonderfully revealing.

Appreciate your time and effort already :D

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Anyway, question is:

This thing is Luke, contrary to popular belief, symbol libraries are not shared to a great extent. There is a give and take between images, but there is rarely a clear cut meaning to any given symbol. Likewise the same element in two or more dreams, may or may not have the same meaning. Context is king.

My best advice to people, who wish to understand their dreams, is to not too become too fixated on the literal imagery you are seeing. My experience is that most dream images are metaphorical even when they SEEM clear cut and sharp. The sharpness of the image and the strength of the memory of a given dream element will often leave the individual with a mistaken sense of the dream. In effect, one gets hung up on minor details and forgets to sit back and view the big picture which is always the context of the dream.

That taken into consideration, I am definitely opposed to viewing this dream element as being evidence of a so-called "spirit wolf". In my opinion, it is highly unlikely, though if you see a wolf or wolf images, in your ordinary day to day reality in the next few weeks, I might be willing to revisit this point.

As I said in my PM to you regarding this dream prior to your making this thread...
...it (the dream) is saying to trust the inherent wisdom of your animal nature. That is, animal nature is not simply violence and stupidity. There is a serene calmness and a oneness with their role in the larger scheme of things that they don't get hung up on.

The new deck represents ideas your are currently working on and making real. The point is that the wolf nature, and... that is just SO appropriate, lays beneath that foundation. (Edit: Nurturing her young...)

Superficially, I think the dream is telling you to pay attention to the naturalness of your own impulsive nature. No, not neurotic impulses, but genuine impulses that come from the core of your being.
The thing is Luke, be honest, what do YOU think the dream means?
That is the important part. (And don't tell me you don't know... as you have obviously formed some kind of conclusions about it.)

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Thanks for sharing yours, Runewolf!

I'm generally one to regard dreams fairly highly, and I think they can be wonderfully revealing.

Appreciate your time and effort already :D

Your very welcome.

Anyways, it is possible that you have two wolves for animal spirit guides (power animals). Most people have two animals actually, mine are the Wolf and the Brown Bear. The reason why there are usually two animals is that one is representing our masculine nature (strength) while the other represents our feminine side (nurturing or fathering). Which side are you most in touch with? It is probably the side you are least in touch with that is trying to communicate with you, calling you to listen to that instinctive part of your nature. From what I've heard, if you dream of a specific animal at least four times, it is generally considered a definitive sign that it is one of your power animals. See if any other animals pop up in your dreams. I know there are some people who are just in love with a certain animal and they figure they must have that animal for their guide, but that isn't always the case. I met one lady (my friend's one sister actually) who just loved wolves. She said she was at the zoo one day and had a wolf stare at her in the eyes thinking it had some mystical meaning or something. She was convinced her animal was a wolf, but actually it was not, it was actually a Red Fox. As far as spirit animals are concerned, we can't just pick and choose whatever we want. It does not work that way. However, in the spirit world, there are really no greater or lesser animals. They are all equally important and they should all be respected for they all have something to teach us....even a mouse.

Oh, by the way. I was speaking from a more shamanic perspective. The actual Native American beliefs may be a little different as to how they regard animal spirits. However, the information I provided is from my own personal experience and what I have actually seen and understand. I have a bit of a sixth sense that way you might say. My fiancee also has the ability to see spirits, but she actually sees them literally through her physical eyes, something very unusual. It is funny though that I actually "seen" her animals before she even realized she had them. Anyways, nuff said.

Last edited:

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Wolves mean different things to different peoples. No one can tell you "Wolves = wisdom/evil/blah blah blah" because every culture has a different viewpoint.

You need to look inward at the context of your dream rather than outward for others to explain it to you.

wa:do

Master Vigil

I agree with Painted Wolf... it's not as simple as people are making it. What I would want to know is... do you remember the conversation?

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
You need to start keeping a dream journal to keep track of these types of dreams. It is my belief that when there is a repeated dream that it has real meaning. You may also look into an astral journey where you can interact on a conscious level.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
I agree with Painted Wolf... it's not as simple as people are making it. What I would want to know is... do you remember the conversation?

Who said it was simple? Simple is looking at one of those corny book of dreams and saying "Oh, seeing a wolf in my dreams means this or that." It is not as simple as saying "Oh, I was born into this particular native culture so seeing this animal means this." These are generalizations. Of course Wolf means different things to different cultures, but it is what Wolf means on a personal level that matters. What does Wolf mean to you?....What does Wolf do for you? An animal comes to you for very personal reasons.... It is not a cultural thing...it is a personal thing. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited: