• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So you read a book about how to cook and all you talk about is the author.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
But I know the author personally, so that makes him more interesting than usual to me.

In fact, he helps me use the cookbook. Isn't that cool! He's pretty famous and yet he is always puttering around in my kitchen! Coolest thing ever.

He helped me plant my garden too. The only caveat is that I have to give away a lot of what I grow and cook and bake, but I'm OK with that, especially since he's so helpful and takes such a personal interest in my learning and growing and perfecting my own personal style of cooking.

Awoon

But I know the author personally, so that makes him more interesting than usual to me.

In fact, he helps me use the cookbook. Isn't that cool! He's pretty famous and yet he is always puttering around in my kitchen! Coolest thing ever.

He helped me plant my garden too. The only caveat is that I have to give away a lot of what I grow and cook and bake, but I'm OK with that, especially since he's so helpful and takes such a personal interest in my learning and growing and perfecting my own personal style of cooking.

The recipe the author gave is to raise the dead, heal the sick, feed the hungry, clothe the naked.

Kathryn

The recipe the author gave is to raise the dead, heal the sick, feed the hungry, clothe the naked.

Well, I haven't raised any dead but I've helped with the others on the list. I believe the author gives his readers certain talents and resources and expects his readers to use what he's given them. He's a very interactive author - pretty unusual when it comes to the amount of time and energy and attention he gives his readers - at least, the ones who are receptive to him.

Awoon

Well, I haven't raised any dead but I've helped with the others on the list. I believe the author gives his readers certain talents and resources and expects his readers to use what he's given them. He's a very interactive author - pretty unusual when it comes to the amount of time and energy and attention he gives his readers - at least, the ones who are receptive to him.

But reading time is over. Start practicing the recipes given outside the temples and buildings. The World is waiting !!!

Awoon

Why do you assume I don't give to my community? Why are you assuming that I'm simply reading and not applying what I learn to real life?

You assume. I just post what I read and see from Christians in here.

When has a Christian started a thread about the healings they've done in hospitals? Or when has a Christian posted in a thread about the comatose being raised by their laying on of hands? Never

Kathryn

"Among Americans who claim a religious affiliation, the study said, 65 percent give to charity. Among those who do not identify a religious creed, 56 percent make charitable gifts.

About 75 percent of people who frequently attend religious services gave to congregations, and 60 percent gave to religious charities or nonreligious ones. By comparison, fewer than half of people who said they didn’t attend faith services regularly supported any charity, even a even secular one."
Religious Americans Give More, New Study Finds - The Chronicle of Philanthropy

Charitable Giving in America: Some Facts and Figures

"Furthermore, Christians are more likely than those with no religious affiliation to report that they made donations and volunteered time, and Protestants are at least slightly more likely than Catholics to report higher rates of donating and volunteering. Similarly, those who attend church or another religious institution regularly are much more likely to say they have donated and volunteered in the past year."
Most Americans Practice Charitable Giving, Volunteerism

Kathryn

You assume. I just post what I read and see from Christians in here.

When has a Christian started a thread about the healings they've done in hospitals? Or when has a Christian posted in a thread about the comatose being raised by their laying on of hands? Never

This forum isn't real life. Please read the studies I just posted for a reality check.

By the way, I "assumed" that you're assuming because, well, you ARE. Your comments were to me specifically as well as to religious people in general. I am a Christian and I donate time and money to my community on a very regular basis, but I don't start threads about it or brag about it. I wouldn't have said a thing about what I do (and please notice that I am still not giving specifics, not because I'm ashamed of it, but because I don't think it's commendable to brag about my personal giving), but you made some very faulty assumptions and veiled accusations so I felt I should respond.

Awoon

This forum isn't real life. Please read the studies I just posted for a reality check.

By the way, I "assumed" that you're assuming because, well, you ARE. Your comments were to me specifically as well as to religious people in general. I am a Christian and I donate time and money to my community on a very regular basis, but I don't start threads about it or brag about it. I wouldn't have said a thing about what I do (and please notice that I am still not giving specifics, not because I'm ashamed of it, but because I don't think it's commendable to brag about my personal giving), but you made some very faulty assumptions and veiled accusations so I felt I should respond.

No confession needed.....Catholic Priests are available.

Kathryn

No confession needed.....Catholic Priests are available.

I'm not Catholic and I'm also not confessing anything at the moment. But thanks for the insight into your state of mind. Apparently you're not really interested in any serious discussion about religious people giving back to their communities and living their faith. So I'll waste no more time replying to your attempts at wittiness.

Awoon

I'm not Catholic and I'm also not confessing anything at the moment. But thanks for the insight into your state of mind. Apparently you're not really interested in any serious discussion about religious people giving back to their communities and living their faith. So I'll waste no more time replying to your attempts at wittiness.

When Christians or people who call themselves followers of Jesus/Yeshua do what he taught you to do then I'll listen. Until then, all you all are doing is making excuses for not doing what he taught. That's why you all talk about him or Honor him with your words but don't do what he taught. Betty Crocker is a Fictional Character, she never baked a cake.

None of you need a church, temple or building to go to, to do what he taught. Read (what you believers say are Jesus' words) and go to work. The World is Waiting.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
How about making dinner?
I'm confused. Do you think that God was the author of the Bible? Because, I'm pretty sure we now know the New Testament had various authors. And, since it is not even known who the authors were, it seems silly to claim people are talking about them.

Awoon

I'm confused. Do you think that God was the author of the Bible? Because, I'm pretty sure we now know the New Testament had various authors. And, since it is not even known who the authors were, it seems silly to claim people are talking about them.

The Authors are not the point.
My whole point in my posts are simple. I can read About Jesus and hear everyones opinion and have heard for over 55 years. It hasn't changed. That is the Religion ABOUT Jesus (the cook book). I can also read his teachings (recipe) to help humanity. That is the Religion OF Jesus. One is talking about the author of a cookbook, one is doing the recipes.

Christians that I know and the ones in this forum follow the Religion ABOUT Jesus, not the Religion of Jesus.

Then they get mad at me for Quoting what their God has told them to do. They give LIP service to God and Jesus not doing what they taught.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
The Authors are not the point.
My whole point in my posts are simple. I can read About Jesus and hear everyones opinion and have heard for over 55 years. It hasn't changed. That is the Religion ABOUT Jesus (the cook book). I can also read his teachings (recipe) to help humanity. That is the Religion OF Jesus. One is talking about the author of a cookbook, one is doing the recipes.

Christians that I know and the ones in this forum follow the Religion ABOUT Jesus, not the Religion of Jesus.

Then they get mad at me for Quoting what their God has told them to do. They give LIP service to God and Jesus not doing what they taught.
All in all, you don't know what Jesus taught any better than they do. It is subjective simply because we know so little about the historical figure. I think we are called to try to use reason and pure intent to decipher what God wants of us. Relying on words written by imperfect men thousands of years ago quoting a man who not one of them knew personally seems a bit foolish. I think reason is necessary in the process. The Bible is certainly not perfect.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Do you mean like Creme vichyssoise or chocolate mousse? :shortcake::teacup:

I know what you mean, I was just kidding. Do you mean like "loving our neighbors as ourselves"? Most of the people at my Church do that. Do you mean speaking about King David and his good points and his bad mistakes he made? We do that, too. In fact, most of the sermons I've observed speak about how we should behave and don't just stand around say "God, God, Jesus, Jesus". What gives you the idea that we do? Did your old, former Church do that? (If this is not what you are speaking of, forgive me).
Was that for me?