• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So why exactly do the Abrahamic religions teach women to dress this way?

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
qs9QpvE.jpg

3OXTIuc.jpg

Thank you for all answers, :)
Noah ("NewChapter")

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Er, the first picture is of nuns. They're members of religious orders. They're monastics and ascetics. There's no dress code for lay Catholic women, although it's custom for a woman to cover her head during the Latin Mass. Outside of that, they can wear whatever they want.

Christian monks also have habits:
monks_wide-3ed09b1b5464994f8629b133e4c80c57279e803f-s900-c85.jpg

8f935d52b0377927426cf36b767562d58386c898.jpg

DSCF0109.jpg

It's like posting a picture of Buddhist monks and nuns and asking why Buddhism teaches its followers to dress that way. :rolleyes:

Pastek

Sunni muslim
There's old christians women in Portugal and Italy who wear scarfs, and not only for churchs.
I also think i've seen that in part of east europe. Also centuries before in europe many women used to wear a hat when outside.

Some Hindou women also wear scarfs, i don't know if it's part of the culture or religious.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think the OP was referring to the mandatory, sex-specific dress codes in some countries.

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
Er, the first picture is of nuns. They're members of religious orders. They're monastics and ascetics. There's no dress code for lay Catholic women, although it's custom for a woman to cover her head during the Latin Mass. Outside of that, they can wear whatever they want.

Christian monks also have habits:
monks_wide-3ed09b1b5464994f8629b133e4c80c57279e803f-s900-c85.jpg

8f935d52b0377927426cf36b767562d58386c898.jpg

DSCF0109.jpg

It's like posting a picture of Buddhist monks and nuns and asking why Buddhism teaches its followers to dress that way. :rolleyes:

Well my question wasn't answered. Why do all of the clothes look like that...you gave information but didn't answer my question. :)

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
I think the OP was referring to the mandatory, sex-specific dress codes in some countries.

No, I was just asking about the way that nuns (use to) dress and the way that Muslim women dress. The two ways seem very similar so I was asking why exactly do the women dress that way.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
No, I was just asking about the way that nuns (use to) dress and the way that Muslim women dress. The two ways seem very similar so I was asking why exactly do the women dress that way.
Why are you focusing on the women? Religious brothers dress in similar ways. I'm just saying that your comparison doesn't make much sense when it comes to Catholicism, since all Catholic women aren't expected to dress like that.

For Muslims, they'd probably say for modesty. But a nun's habit has a specific meaning and it varies by order.

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
Why are you focusing on the women? Religious brothers dress in similar ways. I'm just saying that your comparison doesn't make much sense when it comes to Catholicism, since all Catholic women aren't expected to dress like that.

For Muslims, they'd probably say for modesty. But a nun's habit has a specific meaning and it varies by order.

Muslim women in particular cover their bodies in ways that all Muslim men don't is why I'm focusing on the women.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I don't think it has to do with mandatory dress codes in a country. There are prescribed dress codes in Abrahamic religions. Just because most adherents don't follow them anymore, doesn't mean they don't exist. The reason that clergy often wear certain clothing is precisely because it is what is "prescribed" to wear. Think about certain Christian denominations. Amish, Mennonite, Pentacostals, and others. Jewish ones as well have certain rules. Both men and women have religious appearance restriction, though the women more than men really. Not cutting hair, keeping it covered (bonnets/hats), long dresses, long sleeves and so on. So, while both those pictures are of being cloaked in black and hair covered, it really has to do with particular modesty restrictions. And, for some reason, women are expected to be more modest than men. Usually it is linked to some "temptation" thing. As to why both burqas and habits are black, I'm not sure, but I'm sure someone has some answer to that.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Muslim women in particular cover their bodies in ways that all Muslim men don't is why I'm focusing on the women.
Well, that doesn't apply to Catholicism. Even at the Tridentine Mass, it's encouraged for men to wear suits and St. Peter's Basilica requires modest dress for both men and women.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
As to why both burqas and habits are black, I'm not sure, but I'm sure someone has some answer to that.
The color and form of habits in Catholicism vary by order and cultural custom. Some are black, some are white, some are brown, some are blue, some are purple, some are a mixture of colors, etc.

This lady is also a nun:
440px-Nun_on_a_motor-bike_2_-_by_Francis_Hannaway.jpg

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
Well, that doesn't apply to Catholicism. Even at the Tridentine Mass, it's encouraged for men to wear suits and St. Peter's Basilica requires modest dress for both men and women.

Well then it's more common with the women in Abrahamic religions (looking at the Muslims) than it is for the men.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Well then it's more common with the women in Abrahamic religions (looking at the Muslims) than it is for the men.
From what I know, Muslim men are supposed to dress modestly, too. Orthodox Jewish men, especially Haredi, have very specific dress codes, as well.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
For modesty , for having more respect, to avoid vanity (nudity, excess) and things like that.
Let say it's about having respectable clothes.

Owners-of-Qatar.jpg

Sheikha-Mozah-bint-Nasser-006.jpg

It doesn mean that women can't work or should hide or any negative image vehiculated today in the west.
And all the exageration about niqab or burka (majority of muslims don't wear that)

An H&M model

MAIN-HM-Muslim-model.jpg

Dolce & Gabanna collection

dolce-gabbana-hijab-collection.jpg

Religious men have sometimes a little hat , sometimes scarfs, depends of the region they are from. Some wear it everyday, some only for the mosque.
Some christian men also wear the palestinian/saudi scarf (in Palestine, Syria, ..), for them it's cultural not religious.

krofofromhat.jpg
1147911834_4d2d11bfc9_z.jpg
282655_c400aa7092260e8432036483c18fa689.png
img-thing

Draka

Wonder Woman
The color and form of habits in Catholicism vary by order and cultural custom. Some are black, some are white, some are brown, some are blue, some are purple, some are a mixture of colors, etc.

This lady is also a nun:
440px-Nun_on_a_motor-bike_2_-_by_Francis_Hannaway.jpg
Burqas also come in different colors as well. The two pictures are really just coincidence.

rusra02

Premium Member
The Bible doesn't specify such attire for Christian women. Those are man-made rules.

Draka

Wonder Woman
The Bible doesn't specify such attire for Christian women. Those are man-made rules.
While true that the bible leaves it open to interpretation, as to what is appropriate to wear in given situations, where do such denominations like Amish and Mennonite and Pentacostals get their ideas about religious requirements for appearances? Do you know?