• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJW-ism Takes Aim at STEM

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
The SJW movement has taken aim at the STEM fields. A biologist and writer for Scientific American (Dr. Danielle Lee) just stirred some controversy with her tweets directed at SpaceX, which include such gems as:

This Elon Musk's Mission to Mars to save Humanity sermon is White Colonialism Interstellar Manifest Destiny Bull****. There, I said it!

This save HUMANITY via Mars colonization evangelicalism is a passion play of White Male Hubris - Rich Privileged White Men

Similar tweets are trending on twitter with the hashtag "#DecolonizeSTEM":

I am what many white scientists cannot imagine: a Black person who knows more than many of them do. #DecolonizeSTEM #DecolonizeAstronomy

Time is a social construct of the cis white patriarchy #bioethics #DecolonizeSTEM

Maponos

Welcome to the Opera
Yet another reason to colonise Mars and leave this blighted planet behind. We screwed up here, we really did this time.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This is one time where I'm on the side of the aggressive progressives.
Instead of those same old white men, let's send the SJWs to Mars first.

Note:
When I first saw SJW, I thought of Sammiches of Jehovahs Witnesses.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry, but what does SJW mean? I tried Googling it and up came........er a variety of things.

nilsz

bzzt
With many attempts to find incidents that conform to the narrative of a flood of overreaching social justice activism, I think it is important to be critical and see if things are really as described.

I read the article linked to written by the one criticized,
When discussing humanity's next move to space, the language we use matters. The article objects to how speakers have made positive references to past white colonialists such as Christopher Columbus, and feels that Elon Musk deemphasize the importance of involving racial minorities in STEM education. The author also objects to the language of "saving the light of humanity" by bringing it to Mars, as this "saving" will in Elon Musk's project be exclusive to the very affluent.

This is one black woman's perspective that she offers people to consider. I do not like seeing opinions casually dismissed because they are superficially judged as "SJW-ism."

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, it would be reminiscent of the colonisation of the New World. :p
To ensure they thrive in their new world, we must send other useful workers too, eg, marketing executives, telephone sanitizers, & international diversity studies PhDs.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
This is one black woman's perspective that she offers people to consider. I do not like seeing opinions casually dismissed because they are superficially judged as "SJW-ism."
I do not think her opinions (and other similar opinions) should be dismissed because they can be considered "SJW-ism". I think they should be dismissed because of the flagrant racism and irrationality within them.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
With many attempts to find incidents that conform to the narrative of a flood of overreaching social justice activism, I think it is important to be critical and see if things are really as described.

I read the article linked to written by the one criticized,
When discussing humanity's next move to space, the language we use matters. The article objects to how speakers have made positive references to past white colonialists such as Christopher Columbus, and feels that Elon Musk deemphasize the importance of involving racial minorities in STEM education. The author also objects to the language of "saving the light of humanity" by bringing it to Mars, as this "saving" will in Elon Musk's project be exclusive to the very affluent.

Yeeeah, no.

This;
This Elon Musk's Mission to Mars to save Humanity sermon is White Colonialism Interstellar Manifest Destiny Bull****. There, I said it!

This save HUMANITY via Mars colonization evangelicalism is a passion play of White Male Hubris - Rich Privileged White Men

Is just someone being an insufferable ****.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't dismiss her because she's labeled a "SJW".
Instead, it's cuz she makes idiotic statements.
It is from this that she earned her label.

Symptom #7 of a SJW:
Announces one's race & gender to gain authority for some claim.

freethinker44

Instead of those same old white men, let's send the SJWs to Mars first.
It'll never work. The mission will fail before they even get a chance to launch the shuttles. They wouldn't be able to agree on who boards first for fear of being perceived as privileged and they would get stuck in an infinite loop of saying "after you".

nilsz

bzzt
@Nietzsche:

I suspect you are misreading the tweet by missing out the word "sermon". She is responding to a speech, not the entire project.

@Revoltingest:

Do you believe white people are equally authoritative about black experiences as black people?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
@Nietzsche
Do you believe white people are equally authoritative about black experiences as black people?
I believe that authority is earned not by being this or that, but by offering substance.
Personal experience can give someone something to offer.....or not.

freethinker44

This is the problem with social justice warriors:

diversitynewspaper.jpg

To their credit though, the girl in the middle has bright orange skin, so that's a kind of diversity, right?